Decent Powerchair needed!

No Commercial sellers please, unless of particular interest and with permission!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Decent Powerchair needed!

Postby NackerNed » 09 Sep 2021, 10:45

Anybody selling a BM style chair or similar? Tried all the manufacturers and everything out there is overpriced junk! I will consider all chairs but must be decent quality.
NackerNed

Re: Decent Powerchair needed!

Postby biscuit » 19 Sep 2021, 13:43

The quest for mobility. I feel your pain NackerNed. I never have enough energy. My get-up-and-go has got up and gone a long time ago and these days I am always looking for stuff I can buy to give me energy.

Most recent symptom - I bought another power supply. I'm sure there's something Freudian about that.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 19 Sep 2021, 17:14

Did you try actually connecting your self up to it?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 19 Sep 2021, 18:04

have you looked at the dietz rwd with 16" wheels?
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 19 Sep 2021, 18:47

Or the magic V4?

Or a basic Q500R without all the heavy wobbly seating options? Just fit a set of wider rear rims/tyres. And tick the 120A and 4 pole options.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 19 Sep 2021, 19:06

Well I’m now down to my ancient old Invacare which is shaking me to death and I would never dare take it out of my street as it would probably fall to bits. I’ve sold my last build and now have £4K to play with but poor health preventing me self building a suitable chair. Very frustrating to say the least as a retired engineer but the more I try to do, the further back I end up. I’m sure plenty of guys are in the same boat with interests in creating what the manufacturers simply do not (or cannot). I think John really hit the nail on the head with his builds and are certainly the way to go, just such a shame they don’t get mass produced like this.

I have now tried all powered attachments on my manual RGK, built my own front wheel drive versions, free wheel (which I still use when up to it) but shoulders are now officially wrecked! The Trirides, Batec, etc are ridiculously priced and quite frankly crap but serve purpose to a lot of people well. I myself as a 23st 6ft 3in man do not fit any of the brackets for devices like these, they just cannot cope.
I’m tired now and not sure which direction to take next for a chair czy
NackerNed

Postby Burgerman » 19 Sep 2021, 20:08

I think John really hit the nail on the head with his builds and are certainly the way to go, just such a shame they don’t get mass produced like this.

For many years they were basically a light powerful "manual" sport chair alternative. And suited me. But too short and unstable for most. But as time moved on by 15 or 20 years my needs changed. So I now NEED tilt, recline, power legs for balance and swelling. So I added lift as I may as well go the whole hog. That means no more sub 100kg chairs. All that seating DOUBLES the mass. Adds it high up. Sits the user an inch higher. And the BM2/3 chairs are no longer suitable . Lack of stability. So I have no choice but to move on. Now I use 190KG chairs. All that sporty, light, rigid, wheelie capable nimble powerchair stuff is history.

So it WAS the way to go.

Now I need this (scroll) https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 00#p122818
And this (scroll) https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 33#p171026

Both cost me £5700 salsa, and £4400 both new and unused. Plus a few £ for minor but essential modifications. Both are similar. Both are DOUBLE the mass of my old BM2/3 chairs. And longer. More stable. Read details. They might not suit you though!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 20 Sep 2021, 11:22

I think the newly modified chairs with tilt/lift are great and even though would probably help my condition a lot, they are not essential for my needs at present. My goal is a comfortable outdoor chair mainly so big fat tyres running low pressure to reduce vibration. As light as possible to ease strain on batteries due to my already huge bulk!
Is their anybody out there who builds chairs like this?
My budget is £4k max.
NackerNed

Postby rover220 » 20 Sep 2021, 12:49

NackerNed wrote:I think the newly modified chairs with tilt/lift are great and even though would probably help my condition a lot, they are not essential for my needs at present. My goal is a comfortable outdoor chair mainly so big fat tyres running low pressure to reduce vibration. As light as possible to ease strain on batteries due to my already huge bulk!
Is their anybody out there who builds chairs like this?
My budget is £4k max.

not for £4000, you may find a used chair that suits but new would be very unlikely.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2021, 15:53

Depends how new. Or what you call new.
Admitedly you must be patient and spend a lot of time fishing! I was looking for a brand new unsed salsa (of correct spec, which is all but impossible) or a Q700R with similar spec, for around a year before this one appeared.

The Q700R that I bought was available for 4k. Advertised for 4.7K on eBay. and I offered a lot less. It was USED. If you call single digit miles and out of the dealers shop for 7 days used. It was basically never sat in and unmarked. It ended up more at £4.4k only because I asked for them to also swap swingaway footrests for a power centreplate one they also had advertised as a spare part... Thats delivered and 12 month warranty.

Its got 120/70-8 tyres, that I fitted to its (widened to 3 inch) stock rims.
You could fit the off road rims/tyres if you wanted but it would end up too wide for any normal doorway then.

Have a look/read https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 33#p171026

Before you get exited, its NOT light. 1865KG! And its nowhere near as agile as the BM2/3 chairs. And it took a year to find anything this good/price. But if no hurry... You have nothing to lose!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 20 Sep 2021, 19:18

You're clearly getting too old in the mind, BM. There's never a time to solely rely on a full heavyweight rehab production chair. Yes the F55s are very short indeed but therein lies the fun. Just stick tilt on one of yours and away you go. It won't affect stability, mine is fine. My Salsa rehab is for indoor use, though I use my 55 indoors too as it's no bigger, in fact it's shorter.

If you've retired from life you could always part with one of your redundant chairs in NackerNeds direction. :)
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2021, 19:30

I use them to drive from.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 20 Sep 2021, 19:40

Burgerman wrote:I use them to drive from.

Yeah, makes sense but an extravagant drivers seat. :o

Still, parting with one wouldn't hurt.
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2021, 19:44

It would a bit. The other chairs dont have bolts on yet! And too heavy.

And its used at the other end of the journey...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 20 Sep 2021, 19:52

Burgerman wrote:The other chairs dont have bolts on yet! And too heavy.

And its used at the other end of the journey...

So your other 55s are in bits?
If one is used at the other end of the journey it does mean you haven't quite retired from life then. On a serious note, how do you feel using a 55 outdoors again having spent time in a 'safe' Salsa or R700? I find you really need your wits about you but soon get back into the groove because it really is a groove and not for everyone.

Naidex was a hoot sitting on the back wheels across the hall. Curtiss-Wright send their regards. :)
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2021, 20:05

I love it. And its still programmed in full mental mode. There are 3 here. But my PRESSURE SORES dont! Hence all that 100KG extra weight of seating etc. Not an option for all day.

Curtiss wright? Why would they do that?

I have an account for 20 years plus. But they dont know what to make of me. I do stuff they dont like. And it was hard to persuade them to supply me OEM stuff like programmers in the begining so was a little adverserial. But I dont give up easily...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 20 Sep 2021, 20:24

Burgerman wrote:I love it. And its still programmed in full mental mode. There are 3 here. But my PRESSURE SORES dont! Hence all that 100KG extra weight of seating etc. Not an option for all day.

I get that but fortunately I haven't suffered a pressure sore so I still use the 55 to its maximum. I proved it turns on the spot and in its own space quicker than a mid-wheel chair at Naidex and Sunrise were impressed.

Burgerman wrote:Curtiss wright? Why would they do that?

I have an account for 20 years plus. But they dont know what to make of me. I do stuff they dont like. And it was hard to persuade them to supply me OEM stuff like programmers in the begining so was a little adverserial. But I dont give up easily...

As I was in a 55 and convincing them to sell us OEM dongles they a asked if I knew you. I said kind of and they mentioned they had sold you an OEM dongle and for me to ring them this week. They did imply you weren't quite the full picnic. :lol:
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2021, 20:32

You actually dont need to go on fancy courses or any of that other stuff they tell people. And they will sell you direct provided they are of the opinion that you DO know what you are doing. And have a sensible reason. Such as building or modifying chairs. They made me sign a disclaimer! Initially refused but I am a bit insistent.

If they had any idea quite how many people that I have helped that came to me after trying all the so called experts from across the country they would likely not be so worried. I even have the WCS contacting me for diagnosis and programming etc in the near future. I was asked if I could do it as they are not really capable and dont even have the tools. Well they have one tool. If he is still there.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 20 Sep 2021, 20:39

Burgerman wrote:You actually dont need to go on fancy couses or any of that other stuff. And they will sell you direct provided they are of the opinion that you DO know what you are doing. And have a sensible reason. Such as building or modifying chairs. They made me sign a disclaimer! Initially refused.

If they had any idea quite how many people that I have helped that came to me after trying all the so called experts from across the country they would likely not be so worried. I even have the WCS contacting me for diagnosis and programming etc in the near future. I was asked if I could do it as they are not really capable and dont even have the tools. Well they have one tool. If he is still there.

I agree and told them the amount of chairs there are now running correctly from this site alone. I have an OEM dongle but was trying to help others out who would like an easy route to buy one. Let's face it, there's no more risk or blame selling a dongle to someone making a mistake anyway than a car dealer selling a car and someone pressing the wrong pedal and stacking it. You can't blame the seller for stupidity. Chairs coming out of WS departments are dangerous in a slow incapable way but nothing seems to change there.
Chairman

Postby NackerNed » 21 Sep 2021, 10:23

“If you've retired from life you could always part with one of your redundant chairs in NackerNeds direction. :)

This sounds like a plan! :dance
NackerNed

Postby NackerNed » 21 Sep 2021, 19:13

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunrise-Medi ... 635-2958-0

What's people's thoughts on the chair above?
NackerNed

Postby Burgerman » 21 Sep 2021, 20:46

Its an old F55 which has been discontinued decades. Panted orange. And an R-Net system fitted to replace the pilot plus.

The only parts worth keeping are the frame if you want a project, and the power module. Maybe front casters. And somewhat expensive!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 21 Sep 2021, 20:57

Hmm, I must be too desperate lol! I thought the orange was quite unique :P
NackerNed

Postby Burgerman » 21 Sep 2021, 21:26

I did a disgusting green one and hated it.
Attachments
810_1336.JPG
810_1299.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 21 Sep 2021, 22:41

Attachments
810_1205.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 21 Sep 2021, 22:41

It’s very Kawasaki Ninja! Quite cool, loads of ex bikers would go for that I’m sure!
NackerNed

Postby Burgerman » 21 Sep 2021, 22:57

Heres a spondon engineering polished alloy inspired one.

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 75#p178735
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 21 Sep 2021, 23:13

Ah man, that's pretty bloody awesome! Just shows what can be created with a bit of imagination and the right gear.
I've been reading in depth your builds, mainly the wheel adapters to take the fat wheels as I think this is by far the best way to reduce shock and vibration. So annoying as an ex tuner by trade that I cannot access a lathe to make such parts. The machine shop I worked in for 20 years had all the materials in abundance needed for such projects as shown on this forum. So many "guvvy" jobs as we called them that we would do and now in real need of such equipment and skills yet no access at all, so frustrating!
NackerNed

Postby Burgerman » 22 Sep 2021, 03:51

I have a lathe in my bedroom. Myford. And pillar drill. And a lot of other stuff... Ex gf just loved it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 22 Sep 2021, 10:11

Hmm, maybe explains the "ex"! :D

Good on you though, if you can do it, why not?!
NackerNed

Next

Return to Buy/Sell Mobility Equipment