Wanted: Dynamic Controls DX2-REM550 joystick

No Commercial sellers please, unless of particular interest and with permission!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Wanted: Dynamic Controls DX2-REM550 joystick

Postby mattross » 18 May 2020, 11:48

I am after a replacement for the above, or someone in the UK who could repair my broken one. Please let me know if you can do either.
mattross

Re: Wanted: Dynamic Controls DX2-REM550 joystick

Postby Irving » 18 May 2020, 17:34

What's wrong with old one?

eBay.co.uk often a good bet, though none there right now...

rover200 might be able to help...
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby mattross » 21 May 2020, 13:23

I bought a REM550 on Ebay for a bargain £90 just before Christmas. That was to replace a faulty one which I don't know how to repair (it won't drive backwards but other directions are fine, also affects actuators). On my new Storm 4 X-Plore Invacare would not supply it with a REM550, as DX2 was on the way out and they wanted to sell me a Linx setup. As I have a dongle I paid to import from USA, I am not interested in the Linx so I compromised with a REM24. I'm so used to the REM550 on my older Storm 4 that I'm now looking for another one to use instead. I've programmed the broken one and checked it works fine on the new chair, but not being able to reverse makes it unusable.
mattross

Postby steves1977uk » 21 May 2020, 13:39

That sounds typical of Invacare trying to force their POS LiNX system on users! :roll: :cussing :fencing There's no way to set it up properly since Dynamic/Invacare have kept the OEM programming software/tools to themselves, so dealers have to ask Invacare to make changes I believe.

A big step backwards IMO, which is why I'm avoiding any chair with the LiNX control system.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 21 May 2020, 21:46

On my new Storm 4 X-Plore Invacare would not supply it with a REM550, as DX2 was on the way out and they wanted to sell me a Linx setup. As I have a dongle I paid to import from USA, I am not interested in the Linx so I compromised with a REM24.

NON of that sentence makes sense.
1. Invacare offer the REM24 on the prescritpion form, and are only too pleased to supply it. Its their only high end joystick controller that can work with the brushless controller.
2. The LINX system has no brushless power module as far as I am awayre, so they cant use it on any brushless chair.
3. The whole brushless concept doesent work, has inadequate starting torque for that 192KG chair. I returned mine after some discussions with the one guy at invacare that understood the problem and why. I already figured it out. I returned my chair as it wasnt servicable by design.
4. We have here the OEM level programmer, and beyond that at "service" level, for free so you shouldnt have bought it...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mattross » 22 May 2020, 12:37

I bought the programming dongle years ago, before I saw the alternative offered here. Invacare wanted to sell a non-brushless Linx-based chair to me but I've always preferred the brushless motors on the Storm 3TT I had. I was one of the last to get a brushless Storm 4 X-Plore. The REM550 does work fine with brushless, I tested it.
mattross

Postby Burgerman » 22 May 2020, 15:55

Dunno how you tested it. But I tested 2 sets of motors. 2 brushless controllers. 2 different REM550s. And had a discusion with the only guy at invacare that understands brushless. This was a month long saga. He admitted eventually that I was correct. I measured 192 battery amps to turn a chair in place EMPTY!

He understood that for anyone that programmed the chair to steer properly, i.e.removed the awful turn delays, the motors had inadequate starting torque. And after 2 to 3 attempts to turn in place, it shut down due to thermal protection issues and refused to respond at all. Mine went back for a full refund as faulty by design. Unusable once programmed in a way that makes it respond accurately.

The rem 550 has nothing to do with this. Any joystick works the same has nothing to do with power. And yes I had 2 of those too! The one it came with. And a spare from rover on this forum. Why do you think they want you to not have brushless any more?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 22 May 2020, 17:04

Maybe Mattross weighs a lot less than Burgerman so places less torque demand on the motors, or has milder programming. Those GB motors, despite very limited starting torque, do work for some people. BTW, as I discovered while shopping for the motors for the chair I'm now building, poor starting/low speed torque is a common characteristic of brushless motors, whether gearless or geared. Rather like a brushed motor with very few slots in the commutator and correspondingly few windings in the rotor. Brushed motors conversely generally have good starting torque, but run into over heating problems at stall torque (if not current limited).
LROBBINS

Postby rover220 » 22 May 2020, 20:30

i have sold half a dozen storm 4 x-plore, only one person has complained about the issues Burgerman had. The others probably had an average weight of 12st mind. when working well they are a decent chair, very smooth and quiet and they ride well.

rem550 works fine on brushless.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 23 May 2020, 10:37

I measured 192A on the battery cable trying to turn in place an EMPTY chair! Thats not OK. Why? Because any kind of use that isnt on a flat surface, with or without a use on board results in just 1 to 3 seconds of use before the thing rolls back the Amps to a few 10s of amps. And that means no power. After 5 secs at say 30A as you attempt to make it "go" it drops to 10A. At that point it will not even go backwards or forwards. And that lasts for maybe 10 to 15 minutes!

So with a lightweight human, you MUST use their sluggish delayed steering programming and avoid starting up any ramp or curb from a standstill in order to make it keep working at all. So definitely NOT OK! Unless you are super light, and expect very little.

The non geared direct drive motor requires way more Amps than the battery system or the controller can provide for more than 1 to 3 seconds. Its faulty by design. As agreed with the guy who designed the system. He says it has good torque, INITIALLY but only for a couple of seconds. So cannot cope with a chair programmed to turn when told. Thats why they feel so vague and innaccurate. Thats not usable to me.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Buy/Sell Mobility Equipment