PL 8 - Q and A section - How to Set up - Use etc,

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PL 8 - Q and A section - How to Set up - Use etc,

Postby Irving » 10 Oct 2019, 08:56

Yes, and having a 'sensible' joystick with time displayed is useful (not appreciated until I got r-net) but I still like to wear a watch, I dont feel dressed without it. Plus it has some sentimental value too.
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby wheelie junkie » 10 Oct 2019, 17:34

Weird one today, put off road wheelchair batteries on charge, went back to find screen saying elapsed, 84% done. It usually is around 98% done. Is this a problem with charge profile or batteries? Chair is in the garage and I can't get it in the house to monitor a charge and I ain't going into the freezer to do a test charge :)

A123 LiFePo4 High Rate.PS8
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 10 Oct 2019, 19:06

Several things...

Thats not one of my modified profiles and has 4 or 5 hidden settings set incorrectly.

Its also got 'fuel' turned on, which does NOT work on LiFePO4. Its also got curves set up for A123 instead of Generic LiFePO4 so wont work at all. It has low voltage start point set to 2.7 instead of 2.55V, it has a too wide 5mV gap set for balance (should be 2) and start point set to -2mV wich is too soon. it has termination set to auto, one 20th of charge current, which means that it will always end charge too early, it has the balance charge start point set to 3.3V which actually UNBALANCES the cells during charge, chould be set to 3.5 or balance only at CV, it has the temperature set to drop charge voltage by 50mV every 1 degree below zero instead of off, although that wont bother you at room temp. It has CV timeout set to 1 hour which means it will not have time to rebalance cells after the 3.3V start earlier issue has unbalanced them, or reach the correct MANUALY choosen CV charge termination point (and thats set to auto/C/20 which is wrong) and fuel should be set OFF, but its on, and is set to a 60mA battery capacity... Its also set to auto cell count instead of 8 which limits the upper and lower cell voltage limits at start and can cause errors on charge start, and the cell gap maximum is set to 250mV which means that it will go to a safety charge current of just 500mA. That needs to be set 350mV and to start at a higher voltage. Or if the cells are unbalanced it will enter safety charge mode. And stay that way to completion. Which means several weeks on a big pack. And, the point where it senses this is set way too low as well. And charge timeout total is set 8 hours max and the discharge timer is set to stop after 12 hours ... So will require restarting several times on discharge. And cell over voltage safety is set to a huge 4.35V! And will ruin the cells if the charger overshoots when starting or if theres a momentary discharge like moving the chair while charging. And a few I missed.

Frankly I am surprised it charges at all!
You cannot just take a generic charge profile and use it. For one, theres at least 5 important parameters that are hidden from you that you cant change with the pl8 software directly as it is. So even if you set most of it right you are still screwed. And all these set badly for large LiFe packs.

What cells, and what Ah is this pack?
I will find a suitable profile.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 12 Oct 2019, 10:15

Thanks, I've got 2 sets of LiFeP04 batteries one 8 cell 100ah, the other Headway cells in 2 packs totalling 60Ah.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 12 Oct 2019, 11:31

Gimme an hour, guests... If I forget then remind me!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 Oct 2019, 19:27

Use firmware 3.3...

For 60 and 100Ah.
If all is balanced on screen, and the CV stage continues for more than 2 hours after this then increase the termination curent by 25% and rinse and repeat. You are aiming for around 1 hour at CV once all cells balanced. Hard to guess because of cell type and age. But should be close.

Those are both set to 16A charge. If your power supply and cables are up to it, you can increase that to approx 30A and 40A as you wish.
Attachments
LiFe PO4 8S w Bal 60Ah term 80mA.PS8
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
LiFe PO4 8S w Bal 100Ah term130mA.PS8
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 13 Oct 2019, 09:29

Big thanks, will give them a go and see what happens. Thanks again
wheelie junkie

Postby ex-Gooserider » 15 Oct 2019, 04:21

Confusion say: man w/ one watch know what time it is, man w/ many clocks never quite sure... banghead :P :fencing

(of course Confusion never had NNTP server.... :ugeek: )

ex-Gooserider

Burgerman wrote:I threw away my watch decades ago. Why?

Theres one on the wall in my bedroom, kitchen everywhere I go in fact, clocks!

Theres also one displayed on my powerchairs.
And one in my phone on the front...
And one in my laptop, and in my PC.
And one in my 4X PL8, 3X Hyperions, 4x cameras, in my 2 TVs, my fridge, my oven, my microwave, my central heating wall programmer, my van in 3 places, my satnav, radio, hifi, RC transmitter, my PC printer glowing blue, and my fluke logging multimeter, even my stupid electric razor, and my 2 washing machines! And more. I really dont see the point of adding another on my arm.
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby shirley_hkg » 16 Oct 2019, 03:28

How difficult is it to replace DJI MAVIC2 ZOOM batteries ? :wave:

Chips to be cracked ? czy

Advise to charge with PL8? cheers
Attachments
IMG-20191016-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20191016-WA0004.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 16 Oct 2019, 10:06

Lipos are only good for around 20 to 100 flights in a quadcopter.
The main thing that ruins them are:
- Very heavy current draw. Makes them gas and swell, and therefore go high resistance.
-The other think is charging them and not using them. A 100 percent charged battery, can/will swell and be ruined if left 12 hours only if the temperature changes.
- Rubbish BMS allowing cells to bounce over voltage.

So buy a new pack, or recell with hobby lipos, similar spec, and just use the PL8. Throw away the BMS? I dont have one, so dont know if that bms also connected to flight controller?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair