Options for a rear facing camera on a powerchair

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Options for a rear facing camera on a powerchair

Postby Spectrapilot » 14 Jan 2020, 21:46

Hi again everyone, has anyone come up with a neat and tidy rear view camera that I could view on my mobile (such as Alfred (a home security app that turns an old mobile/tablet into a cctv system))
I have very limited movement and the sight is fading in the right eye so I struggle reversing.
I'd prefer not to go along the 'wired' option as I'm both unable to fit nor want to avoid any warranty on the current Oil Tanker Tanker powerchair I'm currently allocated, a Specta XTR2 with tilt in space.c
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Spectrapilot

Re: Options for a rear facing camera on a powerchair

Postby rickystyx » 14 Jan 2020, 21:59

the obvious answer would seem to be to use the phones own second camera - the one that points at you rather than away from you - especially if you have it held in a sensible viewing place somehow
ottobock b400 modified wheels and 150Ah lifepo4
30Ah add on Lifepo4
TGA breeze 4 150Ah Lifepo4
Sunrise F55 (BM1 style)
rickystyx

Postby shirley_hkg » 16 Jan 2020, 02:55

Don't get too carried away with new gadget. LCD mons are hard to see in sunlight.

I like my multi-axle £1.5 driving mirror very much. cheers drunk2
Attachments
IMG-20200116-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200116-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200116-WA0003.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby greybeard » 16 Jan 2020, 14:30

Anyone else remember these SeeBackroScopes, widely advertised in my childhood years on the backs of comics?
Attachments
IMG_2054.JPG
greybeard

Postby Spectrapilot » 16 Jan 2020, 14:41

greybeard wrote:Anyone else remember these SeeBackroScopes, widely advertised in my childhood years on the backs of comics?

:D That reminds me of the Ken Dodd gag about reading comics as a 8 year old and wanting one of these in case he got attacked by an assassin creeping up behind LOL
Spectrapilot

Postby ex-Gooserider » 22 Jan 2020, 03:29

I believe that some of the automobile aftermarket 'backup cameras' are Bluetooth wireless for the connection to the display - presumably it would be possible to have that show up on a zombie-phone or other display... You'd still need to get power to the camera but that wouldn't be hard. Most of the cameras I've seen come as part of a license plate bracket (sized for US style plates - I don't know what kind of mount they use elsewhere) but it doesn't seem like it would be a big problem to separate the camera, or just chop the plate mounting ears off...

I agree that some of the optical solutions might be better for some users - but the OP said camera....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Arima » 22 Jan 2020, 19:08

ex-Gooserider wrote:I believe that some of the automobile aftermarket 'backup cameras' are Bluetooth wireless for the connection to the display - presumably it would be possible to have that show up on a zombie-phone or other display... You'd still need to get power to the camera but that wouldn't be hard.
ex-Gooserider

Had a Trailer Hitch Rear View Camera when I had a boat. It worked well for that purpose. I think it had a 9v battery in the camera, and the display just plugged into the cigarette lighter. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Magneti ... B0035WSQEC
Thxs
Arima

Postby Spectrapilot » 26 Jan 2020, 22:17

Thanks for all the suggestions (the genuine and the humourous ones) I feel a little personal info would give you an idea of my restrictions.....
I am permanently rigid, in a sitting position with zero head and neck movement and limited right eye vision so anything outside of my left eye peripheral vision is invisible. I cherry pick the stores and situations I go in as can quite easily do damage if I have to reverse anywhere.
Spectrapilot

Postby Snowrunner » 27 Jan 2020, 05:54

There is a company that comes up with reverse sensors for wheelchairs:
[url]https://brazemobility%.%20com/[/url]
Snowrunner

Postby shirley_hkg » 27 Jan 2020, 12:38

Rear view camera is easy to get, but a good display that performs well under sunlight is difficult to find & expensive .

An obsolete/spare cell phone is the best candidate.

WiFi Camera costs £20 here.
Attachments
IMG-20200127-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20200127-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20200127-WA0006.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby Irving » 27 Jan 2020, 13:38

Snowrunner wrote:There is a company that comes up with reverse sensors for wheelchairs:
[url]https://brazemobility%.%20com/[/url]

Bet that's silly money. We have a smart wheelchair project that uses those ultrasonic sensors for obstacle detection. Pretty unreliable over about 1.5m.

I'm playing (yet another project!) with these 'laser, time of flight distance measurement sensors' at about £3 each, a range of 1.2 - 2m in sunlight and 3 - 4m indoors. They have a FOV of 25deg. (so need 3 or 4 for reversing sensor) and coupled with a cheap micro-controller chip, DC-DC converter and a sounder, I reckon in reasonable quantity £30 would probaby cover it.

Or, for under a tenner, you could try re-purposing this car reverse parking sensor kit
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Spectrapilot » 03 Feb 2020, 10:40

shirley_hkg wrote:
Rear view camera is easy to get, but a good display that performs well under sunlight is difficult to find & expensive .

An obsolete/spare cell phone is the best candidate.

WiFi Camera costs £20 here.

Thanks to all the suggestions above, I've now worked out I can use and old mobile (S7) as a camera and running 'mobile hotspot ' on the Samsung S9+ to view. (I will be inside/manoeuvring on public transport when viewing so glare isnt a problem) I'm just wary
If i stick it to the back of my chair, so lightfingered lowlife will whip it. If I proceed with a wifi camera as suggested, will it work over mobile hotspot and I dont know anyone clever enough to put a wheelchair charging plug on it to provide power.
I know the old S7 mobile is a good working solution (I use the home security app Alfred on both mobiles) but think itll get robbed.
Spectrapilot

Postby flagman1776 » 03 Feb 2020, 17:41

This thread has ideas for onboard USB charging which is how I'd charge your view camera phone.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9242

Agreed, yes, you need some kind of pouch / pocket / case to enclose it on the back of your chair with just a hole for the camera lens.
TravelScoot1 3P8S LiFePO4 Hyperion 1420i
TravelScoot2 OEM LI & charging
battery interchange adapters
flagman1776

Return to Everything Powerchair