Help with diaqgnosing Jazzy Select, please

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Help with diaqgnosing Jazzy Select, please

Postby RanTalbott » 03 Apr 2021, 06:50

From years of surgery for diabetic foot complications, I have a Jazzy Select (no suffixes, with a GC1 joystick module). Unfortunately, about the time the surgeries ended, and I became fully ambulatory again, I lost access to my indoor storage and charging place, so I stored it outdoors. Poorly: I failed to disconnect the batteries, and failed to replace the tarp when some sunrot exposed the joystick module. Now I've lost most of my right leg, and need the Jazzy again. But it appears that my sins have overtaken me.

I replaced the batteries, and they charged up correctly (good voltage on each, and the charger indicator went green). When I tried to power it up, I got two beeps (which, iirc, is correct for power on), but nothing else. No LEDs on or flashing, and no movement. I tore down the joystick module, and found no sign of water damage: no sign of corrosion, or of precipitates from rainwater. But I gave it a good cleaning with Q-tips and alcohol, just in case. No change.

Because i'm on a limited income, and have lots of medical bills from my amputation, I can't just throw money at the problem by replacing all the electronics. I'm hoping to maximize my odds that my first guess will be right.

My questions are:
Is this a symptom of a known problem?
Is there some secret "reset everything" ritual that might clear it?
I haven' been able to test the gimbal. Is there a document available for it that would tell me how to do that?
I've seen references to people interfacing Arduinos to Jazzy chairs. I have an ATMega32 Arduino. Is there a sketch that would make it possible for me to monitor the (lack of) communications between the controller and the joystick module (preferably with decoding)? Or one or more of them that would simulate either the controller or the joystick module to its "partner"?

Thanks for any help anyone might offer,

Ran
RanTalbott

Re: Help with diaqgnosing Jazzy Select, please

Postby woodygb » 03 Apr 2021, 08:25

Hi Ran,

You said NO led lights ...does that include the battery charge status?

https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/30691.pdf
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 03 Apr 2021, 08:37

Hi Ran,

OK ...I re read your post .

You said NO led lights ...weird.

Can you check the voltage at the 3 pin charge plug.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2021, 08:52

My guess, battery is destroyed. And it will be high resistance. So even is each one reads 12.9v plus. it will be super high resistance and drop to nothing almost as soon as its turned on. Just enough to beep. You need to measure battery voltage, and see what it reads as you turn it on.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby RanTalbott » 07 Apr 2021, 23:12

woodygb wrote:Hi Ran,

You said NO led lights ...does that include the battery charge status?

Yes. Those are the only LEDs on the chair I know of, but I haven't had the cover off the main board yet (I had to ask a less-disabled neighbor for help lifting the seat off when we replaced the batteries, and it was enough of a strain on him that I don't feel comfortable making the request routine).

Thanks for the datasheet: it's already proved useful, and should turn out to be invaluable if get to that level of debugging.
RanTalbott

Postby woodygb » 07 Apr 2021, 23:22

Can you please give us the information that we requested.

I.E. Voltage at the 3 pin charge port before and after pressing the ON button.

Is this the same as the internals in your pod?
$_57aa.jpg
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby RanTalbott » 08 Apr 2021, 04:54

Burgerman wrote:My guess, battery is destroyed.

I expected (and confirmed) that the old batteries were shot, so I replaced them with new ones.

Does anyone know whether the decisions about lighting up the LEDs are made in the joystick module, or sent to it by the main board? I gather from other threads I've read that, at least on the 3-pin GC1 systems, the joystick module is powered off the raw battery voltage, so it could be either way.
RanTalbott

Postby RanTalbott » 08 Apr 2021, 05:41

woodygb wrote:Can you please give us the information that we requested.

I.E. Voltage at the 3 pin charge port before and after pressing the ON button.

Is this the same as the internals in your pod?
$_57aa.jpg

The voltage at the charging port is about 25.5, as measured with the dirt-cheap DMM I bought so I could have something expendable in my car (my good DMM was stolen when my house was burglarized). It fluctuates by about .1V or so with no activity, and doesn't appear to change when I try to power up. I.e., no sign of any great load being placed on the batteries, such as might happen if the main board decided to tickle the motors during power-on self test.

Yes, that board appears to be the same as mine.
RanTalbott

Postby RanTalbott » 08 Apr 2021, 05:56

woodygb wrote:I.E. Voltage at the 3 pin charge port before and after pressing the ON button.

That 25.5V was after the chair had been sitting idle for a few days. it was something over 26v when the charger LED went from red to green.
RanTalbott

Postby woodygb » 08 Apr 2021, 17:02

My questions are:
Is this a symptom of a known problem? NO... at least I have never come across it.
Is there some secret "reset everything" ritual that might clear it? NO
I haven' been able to test the gimbal. Is there a document available for it that would tell me how to do that?
I've seen references to people interfacing Arduinos to Jazzy chairs. I have an ATMega32 Arduino. Is there a sketch that would make it possible for me to monitor the (lack of) communications between the controller and the joystick module (preferably with decoding)? Or one or more of them that would simulate either the controller or the joystick module to its "partner"? http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8196&p=124282

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8196&p=124282
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby biscuit » 08 Apr 2021, 18:42

I've occasionally fixed it when my little Vienna chair just died for no reason by pressing the reset button, no diagnosing required, including one time when I knew that this was "definitely not" the problem. It was.
biscuit

Return to Everything Powerchair