Aviation plugs

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Aviation plugs

Postby biscuit » 10 Oct 2020, 16:16

Think I might go that route on my 40Ah addon pack.
biscuit

Postby Bubbernator » 10 Oct 2020, 17:23

Also-- if you ever decide to install a trailer hitch on the chair and pull a cargo trailer you'll be ready to roll!!
:dance :dance :dance

Seriously, though, the only time I ever had trouble with a trailer plug was when I let it drag on the asphalt for 20 miles and sanded all of the contacts off. You might consider tinning the ends of the wires before making a mechanical connection with them, if that's possible.
Bubbernator

Postby Burgerman » 10 Oct 2020, 19:19

Towbar electrical rpairs have been keeping autoelectricians in work for years! Every year when you connect your trailer to the car, one or another lights dont work or work intermittentlly!

At least those things are cheap. But very low reliability. Also huge. But whatever works for you.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 13 Oct 2020, 01:21

I grew up with parents in the boating business, so had lots of exposure to trailer wiring and plugs...

A lot of the problems were from bad grounds - hint, hoping the trailer grounds through the connection to the hitch is questionable and iffy....

A lot of the rest of the problem was that the trailer plugs only got used intermittently a few times a year, and the rest of the time were sitting out w/ the ends exposed to the weather - can you say corrosion???? This was a problem with both the trailer end that gets left sitting out in the rain (often on the ground in the mud...) and the car end that gets all the crap splashed up by the tires on it (especially where they use a lot of winter road chemistry..)

Boat trailers also had issues with the lights that got submerged when backing down the ramp - a very common issue was a light that would get flooded w/ cold water hitting the glass incandescent bulb that had been nicely heated by the brake lights being on... (CRACK!)

Customers that put kept the car end of the trailer pigtail in the trunk except when using the trailer, and that protected the trailer end, had FAR fewer problems...

Another issue we saw a lot of was wiring that had been put in with 'Scotch-locks' or other insulation displacement connectors, or crimps made with the cheap-crap hardware store crimpers, (instead of a ratcheting crimper)... Wiring done with solder and shrink or at least electrical tape, was much less problematic....

Essentially, nearly all the problems we saw could be traced to either bad wiring practices, or shoddy use / maintenance by the owners....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair