New BLDC wheelchair controller from Curtiss-Wright

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

New BLDC wheelchair controller from Curtiss-Wright

Postby Ruken » 03 Dec 2020, 00:04

Hello all,
I just stumbled upon something neat, https://www.cw-industrialgroup.com/Prod ... rol-System

The amps looked kind of low, some I'm guessing it's intended for something small. But this might be good news, maybe something bigger is coming as well? I skimmed the brochure and it seems to have provision for a lithium battery. Maybe it will finally measure the amperage used to get an accurate battery gauge?
Ruken

Re: New BLDC wheelchair controller from Curtiss-Wright

Postby Burgerman » 03 Dec 2020, 00:51

Its what they use on some of those cheap chinese lithium ion folding portable chairs. Its not intended for what we call proper powerchairs or rehab chairs.
Theres hundreds of minor variations on the theme. Lithium so easy to fold and lift. Brushless because they are chinese. And everything in the world uses brushless inc all my hobby stuff, electric bikes etc today. https://www.google.com/search?q=folding ... 0&dpr=1.25

But it shows that they COULD do something like this for R-Net too. If they wanted...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 03 Dec 2020, 13:36

A R-net version would be much better, but would it suffer the same problems like the Dynamics system used on the Storm 4?

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby LROBBINS » 03 Dec 2020, 15:48

Lack of starting torque on the gearless/brushless motors won't be cured by a controller change though sinusoidal commutation and field oriented control might help some (but Dynamic controllers already have sinusoidal commutation). When I was searching for motors for the current project chair I set specs for RPM, starting and running torque and asked for quotes for both (geared) brushless and brushed motors. The brushless offerings, even with gearing, consistently had much lower starting torque than brushed motors with similar running torque - in fact none would have been adequate. Will has found brushless motors that do give enough starting torque, so this might not be intrinsic to brushless motors just of the motor bids I got from my RFQ. It is certainly the case, however, that finding brushless motors, even geared ones, that aren't marginal for starting torque seems to be a difficult proposition.
LROBBINS

Return to Everything Powerchair