multipel repair items

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

multipel repair items

Postby mjs » 16 Dec 2020, 16:33

Ello folks, a dutchman here.

I bought a freerider kensington S with of course some flaws.
Type = FR510DX s2b
Motor = 24V - 600Wtt - 5100RPM - permanent magnet.
Speed controller = Rhino 70A (DS72K01).
Pcb in steering column = PEA1-0309-1 V0920A (May 2009).

I have already solved two defects, parking switch leaver was glued stuck.
Also the motor had a broken carbon brush spring.
Freewheel (mango) approached for the cost of a carbon brush, ~ 25 euro.
Since I put the serial number in the mail and asked how old this freerider actually was , nothing more was heard from them.
Then don't, their loss, it seems to me a motor does yield quite a return.
The broken brush spring has caused a lot of heat in the motor resulting in a big short circuit in the power cable.

I would like to get the mobility scooter back on its feet and therefore some questions.
1) Does anyone know the size of the carbon part of the brush, 7x11x?? mm.
11 to 13 mm seem to me the possibilities, but which one.
For now the motor works again with springs out of the hobby drawer.
2) There is talk on the forum about bypassing the dongle needed to save the setting of the rhino.
I hope to become an member to this info.
I am going to make the adapter and I have already downloaded the right software for the rhino.
3) Does the forum have a schematic diagram of the pcb from the steering column.
With a schematic diagram it is easier to search for faults (defective battery condition meter) as well as for desired modifications.

I am convinced that someone will have fun with this mobility scooter again.
Especially with the still to be built extras such as charging both batteries at once from an passing (& halted) car (12V).

Thanks,
Marcel Stork

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
mjs

Re: multipel repair items

Postby Burgerman » 16 Dec 2020, 19:39

This is basically a powerchair forum. With a few scooters. So you might only get help with the programming. And woodygb is the expert here!

As for brushes, get the 13mm ones. You can always shorten by 2mm with a bit of care and some abrasive paper. And a former like a small aerosol can.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mjs » 16 Dec 2020, 23:03

Thanks Burgerman.

I did make the old brush work with the use of sandpaper.
In time they need to be replaced.
You induced a 4th question, maybe some one could point me to a more correct (hobby) forum scootmobil and not being freerider (or mango etc.).
Tomorrow i will try to reach Woodygb.
mjs

Postby Burgerman » 16 Dec 2020, 23:52

I dont know that there is a more suitable forum. Just not as much going on with scooters!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 17 Dec 2020, 01:53

Burgerman wrote:I dont know that there is a more suitable forum. Just not as much going on with scooters!

This forum is a great Encyclopedia of knowledge.
A free knowledge.
martin007

Postby biscuit » 17 Dec 2020, 12:22

We had a user here, Scooterman, who has gone silent. His posts may be of interest to you, mjs.
biscuit

Postby woodygb » 17 Dec 2020, 12:42

mjs wrote:Ello folks, a dutchman here.

I bought a freerider kensington S with of course some flaws.
Type = FR510DX s2b
Motor = 24V - 600Wtt - 5100RPM - permanent magnet.
Speed controller = Rhino 70A (DS72K01).
Pcb in steering column = PEA1-0309-1 V0920A (May 2009).

I have already solved two defects, parking switch leaver was glued stuck.
Also the motor had a broken carbon brush spring.
Freewheel (mango) approached for the cost of a carbon brush, ~ 25 euro.
Since I put the serial number in the mail and asked how old this freerider actually was , nothing more was heard from them.
Then don't, their loss, it seems to me a motor does yield quite a return.
The broken brush spring has caused a lot of heat in the motor resulting in a big short circuit in the power cable.

I would like to get the mobility scooter back on its feet and therefore some questions.
1) Does anyone know the size of the carbon part of the brush, 7x11x?? mm.
11 to 13 mm seem to me the possibilities, but which one.
For now the motor works again with springs out of the hobby drawer.
2) There is talk on the forum about bypassing the dongle needed to save the setting of the rhino.
I hope to become an member to this info.
I am going to make the adapter and I have already downloaded the right software for the rhino.
3) Does the forum have a schematic diagram of the pcb from the steering column.
With a schematic diagram it is easier to search for faults (defective battery condition meter) as well as for desired modifications.

I am convinced that someone will have fun with this mobility scooter again.
Especially with the still to be built extras such as charging both batteries at once from an passing (& halted) car (12V).

Thanks,
Marcel Stork

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brushes-Freeri ... B00RFP5FUI

FreeRider Mayfair and post 2008 Kensington brushes
7/16 x 1/4 x 5/8 ( 11 mm x 6.35 mm x 16 mm).

NO DONGLE REQUIRED....Just some modified software , a RS232 ( DB9 ) - USB Cable and 3 wires.

A schematic for the tiller p.c.b. will not be available.... If the p.c.b. is defective I would throw it away and just wire it up with a throttle pot and normal switches.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby mjs » 17 Dec 2020, 14:06

at biscuit:
Scooterman found, a lot of posts ==>> keep in mind.

at woodygb:
Original total room for brush = 31 mm, -/- 7 mm brushkap, -/- 10 mm totally folded spring which leaves maximal 14 mm for the coal part.
Never the less i will dive into this, the kopper wire could be shorter, also the older brushes does not need to be the original brushes ==>> keep in mind.
(have to calculate back via the advised minimal coal length and there is always sandpaper).
Regarding pcb, you are right but not asked is always a no, would be easier though.
mjs

Postby mjs » 17 Dec 2020, 14:45

mjs wrote:at biscuit:
Scooterman found, a lot of posts ==>> keep in mind.

at woodygb:
Original total room for brush = 31 mm, -/- 7 mm brushkap, -/- 10 mm totally folded spring which leaves maximal 14 mm for the coal part.
Never the less i will dive into this, the kopper wire could be shorter, also the older brushes does not need to be the original brushes ==>> keep in mind.
(have to calculate back via the advised minimal coal length and there is always sandpaper).
Regarding pcb, you are right but not asked is always a no, would be easier though.

Also thinking: range extender by a 1/2 to 1 horse power benzine engine and a dynamo.
mjs

Postby ex-Gooserider » 22 Dec 2020, 03:26

mjs wrote:Also thinking: range extender by a 1/2 to 1 horse power benzine engine and a dynamo.

Having a petro engine, even if not running, will be a major problem in many businesses and other indoor spaces, due to safety concerns about possible fuel leaks / fire... Obviously running it's even worse...

Instead I'd look at doing a Lithium battery conversion like many here have done on their power chairs, and / or an LiFePO4 based 'add-on' pack, as either will likely extend your range to far longer than you are likely to want to sit on the thing for, and avoid the hassles of a petro engine...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby mjs » 08 Jan 2021, 09:36

ex-Gooserider wrote:
mjs wrote:Also thinking: range extender by a 1/2 to 1 horse power benzine engine and a dynamo.

Having a petro engine, even if not running, will be a major problem in many businesses and other indoor spaces, due to safety concerns about possible fuel leaks / fire... Obviously running it's even worse...

Instead I'd look at doing a Lithium battery conversion like many here have done on their power chairs, and / or an LiFePO4 based 'add-on' pack, as either will likely extend your range to far longer than you are likely to want to sit on the thing for, and avoid the hassles of a petro engine...

ex-Gooserider

Thanks ex-ghostrider,
I've found the post of hybrid scooter and all make sense.
Jump charge from a running car is a better option (need to switch battery connections from serial to parallel ).
I was thinking at a solution if one has run empty on battery like in a remote environment, no cars in sight.
On a long trip you could take this extra package with you, just in case and take a brake while charging.
Humans are always stretching the limits no matter how big the battery capacity is.

mjs
mjs

Postby mjs » 08 Jan 2021, 09:47

Sorry, should be "ex-Gooserider".

mjs
mjs

Postby mjs » 04 Feb 2021, 07:50

'Ello folks,
Except for a working battery the Freerider is working like a charm.
Used the software and a self-made rhino connector to adjust the rhino specs.
Thanks for the support.
mjs
mjs

Return to Everything Powerchair