Pressure sore prevention - cushions!

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Pressure sore prevention - cushions!

Postby Burgerman » 25 Dec 2020, 14:12

Over the last few months I have looked at all the best and stupidly prices cushions that the experts in the spinal injuries unit and online, and everywhere possible say I need or are best...

I currently use, home made cyclic air cushion which seemed to help right up till it didnt. So back to the Jay2 I have used for years. I have physically looked at the 4 inch deep version, the same cushion with better deeper immersion. It does look good. But its at least an inch taller. Is that a problem? It may be. But still considering it. https://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/seatin ... /jay-j2-dc

I have come to the conclusion that the best cushion out there for easy transfer and stability, with the highest level of protection is the new Jay BALANCE (Called FUSION in the US and by some reps here). It is available with an air pad, (roho). Or gel pad. Or gel cryo cooling pad...
So the real options depend on the cause of the sore. I am talking about my left Ischeal Tuberosity (sitting bone) that is causing my issues.

Theres 2 options for air insert. A dual and a single air sac.
Theres 2 options for Gel. A CRYO cooling version, and the usual version.

MY choice is dual air, or Cryo Gel. So which to go for...
https://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/seatin ... ay-balance

http://www.sunrisedice.com/asset-bank/a ... /24139.pdf
http://www.sunrisedice.com/asset-bank/a ... /24140.pdf
http://www.sunrisedice.com/asset-bank/a ... /22526.pdf
http://parts.sunrisemedical.eu/template/index.php Which is down as of xmas day. Super unreliable sunparts website...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Pressure sore prevention - cushions!

Postby Toro » 25 Dec 2020, 14:53

I hear you on pressure sores... lost bloody years of my life because of them... not big ones mind you, size of a fingernail but trying to heal them when they are on your ass is a nightmare.

Roho is no good, for me anyway because once you have scar tissue in the area from a couple breakdowns it just doesn't like pressure on that area at all.

What works best for me is foam, very similar to what you showed in the Jay Fusion without inserts... mine is made for me by my OT... though I need a new one as after a while they start getting soft and collapse around the sides.

I still get disreflexia but now I've started tilting for first time in new chair, it relieves pressure getting blood flow going again and made world of difference. So much so I used to only be able to sit only 4 hours a day, and for the first time in 5 years I sat all day yesterday.
Toro

Postby Burgerman » 25 Dec 2020, 14:58

That sounds very similar. I made some foam cushions with cut outs where my sore is. It didnt help though.

Been wanting to try one of these, but no way to get one in the UK so far.
Attachments
2_Java_Cushion_with_cover.jpg
3_Java_Cushion_without_cover.jpg
4_Java_Cushion_well_inserts.jpg
6_Java_Cushion_thigh_supports.jpg
5_Java_Cushion_CAM_wedge.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Toro » 25 Dec 2020, 15:15

Mmm that's interesting, I've had one very similar to that made for me where they put you on something close to bean bags then suck the air out of it to mold to your shape, then they push down in areas to create more depth... problem is, it needs to be really accurate... which mine wasn't, and lets just say it was pushing in places a man doesn't want pressure on.. plus like those pics you put up, that lip at the back is restrictive, gets in the way of adjusting how to sit, for me anyway it stop me sliding back enough.
Toro

Postby Burgerman » 25 Dec 2020, 19:20

Well if made well enough, the idea is that it lifts you over a greater area, and off the parts that you get the sores on. The ischeal tuberosities or sitting bones. So shoud solve the problem. If you have sensation, that may not be the most comfortable. But that was never the point. Pressure prevention wheelchair cushions are not about comfort but pressure sores.

I wish I could try the one above. But the US manufacturer wont sell and insistes an "expert" does the prescription... All unesassary obstacles and the experts seldome are.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Swan T.W. » 25 Dec 2020, 23:35

Burgerman wrote:Well if made well enough, the idea is that it lifts you over a greater area, and off the parts that you get the sores on. The ischeal tuberosities or sitting bones. So shoud solve the problem. If you have sensation, that may not be the most comfortable. But that was never the point. Pressure prevention wheelchair cushions are not about comfort but pressure sores.

I wish I could try the one above. But the US manufacturer wont sell and insistes an "expert" does the prescription... All unesassary obstacles and the experts seldome are.

They have an off the shelf version the Ride Forward. I know people that use them and they work for them.
Swan T.W.

Postby Burgerman » 26 Dec 2020, 00:37

I saw it. Not the same though. And still not in the UK. They dont have a distributer here yet. Theres one in ireland, and elsewhere in the EU but I cant get any sense out of them and no stock.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 26 Dec 2020, 00:43

Burgerman wrote:Well if made well enough, the idea is that it lifts you over a greater area, and off the parts that you get the sores on. The ischeal tuberosities or sitting bones. So shoud solve the problem. If you have sensation, that may not be the most comfortable. But that was never the point. Pressure prevention wheelchair cushions are not about comfort but pressure sores.

You mean you need a medical prescription to buy the cushion? :shock: :shock:
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 26 Dec 2020, 00:46

Yep! From some OT or Physio thats been on a day course and understood nothing.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 26 Dec 2020, 01:01

I don't understand it.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 26 Dec 2020, 08:09

What part dont you understand?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 26 Dec 2020, 20:37

I don't understand why they ask you for a prescription.
You pay they sell.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 26 Dec 2020, 22:16

They are pushing the responsibility for incorrect choices, sizes, or type, along the chain to an "expert"...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 26 Dec 2020, 22:23

I understand.
martin007

Postby Gnomatic » 27 Dec 2020, 00:00

I used a Jay2 for about a year, but it didn't work for me. Nothing major but I had a couple small sores that thankfully weren't deep. I've used Rohos almost exclusively since. But I know guys that Rohos don't work for them. So to each their own.
Gnomatic

Postby Seajays » 27 Dec 2020, 18:42

I use a Roho High Profile Quadro for 22years with no problems . But I do try to get out of the chair 2 hrs in the afternoon.
But might not work for everyone.
Seajays

Postby Burgerman » 27 Dec 2020, 19:45

Has anyone tested the high profile (105mm deep) Jay2? It offers greater immersion, and so lower pressure on a larger area. It can have a roho pad where you sit, or gel. But deeper. https://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/seatin ... /jay-j2-dc

The only part that worries me is the added inch (actually 30mm) of height. It will make he chair less stable, and less capable outdoors. And my knes wont go under the bench...

I am tempted to try it. But its not a cheap thing to test! I would try the air/roho pad version. Its still got sensible firm edges/front so transfers and positional stability is all good.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 28 Dec 2020, 06:08

for the first time i been having issues sitting on my computer chair - after trying a bunch of different foam and latex cushions - didnt work out

and finally tried a Roho - i never did before ever - and it worked - at least on the computer chair - which means it can also work on my wheelchairs if my current Gel Jay2 deep stops working - for now it works with the gel - overfilled all the time though -

if i had to try a new one for my wheelchairs - i would try the one with just the Roho air in the middle - with the rest for support - but the roho worked on my computer chair which was a relief being home all winter - if not comfortable there - i be screwed -

i may try the roho on my indoor chair - just to see - that cushion is original - so 20 years old i think - its jay deep also - with gel - but worn out now for sure - my cat still loves it and sit right in the middle rear where all the gel is - gets pushed out and she sinks in gets comfy :D
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Scragger7 » 28 Dec 2020, 08:10

I have tried a jay2 deep gel but found i slipped forward alot tho think cover had alot to do with that. I use a jay3 with 15% overfill on my pwc now and have done for a few years now with no probs. I also have the roho insert but i found it was to difficult to get carers to put / check the right amount of air in itso sticking with the gel. I use fusion with gel on manual chair and have tried it on pwc but im no as comfortable sitting on that all day. I do sit min 12 hrs a day and only relief i get is tilt.
Scragger7

Postby Burgerman » 28 Dec 2020, 11:40

Good info. There are different covers available for the deep jay2. The real question will be was it more immersive? Did you sink more deeply into it?

The air should give better cooling. And I think heat is a big factor in my case. Not available with jay2 deep.

And fusion is, air, and cryogel. Both better for heat. But less immersive...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Seajays » 28 Dec 2020, 17:01

If anyone try's a Roho I suggest you get a Quadro, the valve in the front locks the air into 4 separate zones. Its is also more stable for tranfereing,
Seajays

Postby Swan T.W. » 28 Dec 2020, 18:36

Burgerman wrote:Good info. There are different covers available for the deep jay2. The real question will be was it more immersive? Did you sink more deeply into it?

The air should give better cooling. And I think heat is a big factor in my case. Not available with jay2 deep.

And fusion is, air, and cryogel. Both better for heat. But less immersive...

Can you get Supracor Stimulite cushions over there? They have a new model that might work for you. The adjustable contour cushion. https://www.supracor.com/products/show/166#
Swan T.W.

Postby HiltonP » 28 Dec 2020, 18:56

Can I suggest something different. Rather than search for the ultimate single cushion, find two different types of cushions which will satisfy most of your requirements, and alternate between the two of them.

In my 46 years of using wheelchair cushions and I have yet to find one model (regardless of price) which is the proverbial "silver bullet". I have however found a number of different types which are probably 75% successful.

I currently use about four different cushions, two in my manual chair, and two in my powerchair. I find myself sitting on at least two, sometimes three of these cushions during the course of an average day. Each one is slightly different, and therefore the pressure load is changed all the time.

This works for me.
HiltonP

Postby Burgerman » 28 Dec 2020, 19:24

Thats a good idea. If you can swap them every few hours in a day. But many here cant do that. Once dropped onto the cushion, thats it till my lift is used to get me out at the end of the day or sometimes at halfway through the day.

I have here:
Quadro 4 chamber roho. Sold it on. Cant transfer as front and edges soft, and way too unstable for my kind of use so went unused. You wobble around all over.
Several foam cushions with various shapes and cut outs and different density foams used togive support where needed and super soft or missing where the bones are... 3 home made.

Powered Air cyclic cushion. Now in home made firmer foam.

A 18 inch W x 20 Deep Jay2 that I always end up using. I have 2. As its solid feeling on all the bits other than the sitting bones/backside... For jumping curbs, wheelies, transfering, etc they are great and gel where it matters. And not cheap.

In the process of ordering a Jay2 105mm DEEP cushion. That should help with greater immersion.
Whats the difference between air, stretch, waterproof covers... Yes obvious, but what do they look like close up?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Arima » 28 Dec 2020, 20:49

The permobomb chair I have came with a Roho elite cushion that worked well for the first couple years. The air insert always seems to change with the weather. When it rains (low pressure) the cushion seems over filled. It never feels stable unless it's under inflated and then my butt is on the foam itself. My current routine is to get off my butt for a couple hours in the middle of the day. It stinks especially when the sun is out. I can stay up all day if I need to but I can't stay up all day, everyday. That's the best solution I've found for me. Good Luck!
Thxs
Arima

Postby Toro » 29 Dec 2020, 03:47

Burgerman, have you thought of getting a foam base and border made up and insert a roho into the center.

I once had one made like this from an OT, didn't work for me because I just can't put no pressure at all on my ischiums especially the left one. But it may work for you and have enough support to transfer over too.
Toro

Postby Burgerman » 29 Dec 2020, 04:26

Done it with a powered alternating one.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair