Permobil Motor Cleaning

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Permobil Motor Cleaning

Postby Rye » 25 Jan 2021, 21:36

I have a pair of c300 motors that have mouse damage to the wires so I was thinking about opening the housing up and replacing the whole wire instead of splicing. I figured I'd clean the commutator and replace the brush also. But my question is...will the bolts holding the gearbox to the motor housing snap (no matter what) when I try to disassemble it? Totally Normal suggested that they are made to snap the bolts. Anyone with experience? The motors are getting louder so I need to check things out.

Another question:

I have a pair of c350 motors ("high speed") with longer windings (longer housing than the c300). I'll have to remove the brake for it to fit, but any harm in swapping gearboxes with the lower speed c300 motors?
Permobil C350/C300, Quickie P-222, Magic Mobility V6 Off-Road
Rye

Re: Permobil Motor Cleaning

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jan 2021, 22:41

The longer motors are still 2 pole but a little lower impedance. The bolts may well snap. Heres the thing. They are assembled and shipped to wear out as a balanced unit. By the time the gearbox is a bit noisy the magnets have lost strength, the brake is worn and slips if leaned on, the motor armature is worn, the brushes wear esp on 2 pole high speed motors, and the whole unit is a good bit less efficient generally. So taking apart to try and rebuild doesent really make a lot of sense. But they didnt allow for mice.

They are likely loctited. And so snap. HEAT that part of the casting that the thread is in and they may not snap. It destroys the bond. You dont have a lot to lose trying if they are already noisy.

Swapping gearboxes? No harm if it fits. It may not like the extra torque from the longer motor. Time will tell!

They are just chinese Linix motors. Same as used on many manufacturers chairs. They are used on my Salsa, and my new Q700R too. Albeit 4 pole versions. Will those fit? Probably! After you swap the wheel mounting hub. And they are not permobils prices.

I just bought 2x 8mph ones for 300 barely used in a box on here. The hubs are interchangable. They may be different gearbox to the permobil though. Theres a few different boxes used that usually depends on mounting types as to which will fit. These are 4 pole and better than the permobil 2 pole longer ones. And a bit faster.
Attachments
833C9D6F-04FB-4E29-A96B-60D57AEC1646.jpeg
25DD127C-960E-45C8-9F73-5FA0BC0E9A55.jpeg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 25 Jan 2021, 22:53

The noise sounds more electronic so I think if I swapped the motors it'd help. I will probably try it with the highspeed gearbox first, but I thought it'd be pointless to go highspeed in a front drive chair. Also, it's a mainly offroad chair so I need torque. I'm currently trying to find some 4 poled motors, but until then...
Rye

Postby swalker » 25 Jan 2021, 23:15

I have a C500 with the high speed motors (C500s). I use it off road, but find the lack of torque to be a very serious problem.

For example, the C500s will not readily go over a door threshold (3/4 inch high) unless I get a running start.

I also have a C500 with the regular speed motors. It has sufficient torque to have no problem with that threshold and is a much, much better chair for offroad use.

The F5 with even higher speed motors (7.5 mph) has more torque than the C500s and at least as much torque as the C500.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jan 2021, 23:27

Increase motor compensation and you will find that any normal chair - even 8mph ones - will do a 3/4 threshold when set to the lowest speed. If it doesent then set it higher. In small steps! You will be surprised.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 26 Jan 2021, 13:09

Does adjusting the compensation affect the top end and bottom end differently?
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jan 2021, 14:00

No. BUT it feels and is more effective at low speeds. The torque setting does amplify the motor compensation at very small stick or very low speeds. If thats already 100 then try increasing overall compenastion. You can do that on a per profile basis if you want.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair