Punctures!!! Grrrrrrrr

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Punctures!!! Grrrrrrrr

Postby Scooterman » 06 Jun 2022, 21:29

I keep on getting punctures in these tyres. They were okay for the first few years, and even now the tread isn't too bad, but has worn compared to new. Plus the rubber is probably warmer and softer at this time of year.

A long crap day today. Long journey six trains, four buses, and tow ferries banghead .

And halfway I got a bleeding puncture again :cussing

I fitted two brand new inner tubes last week so am annoyed. . The tyres are 9 inch 2.80/2.50 x 4.

I can't fit 10 inch tyres cos the forks aren't deep/wide enough.

In that size these are basically the choice I have.

Which tread pattern do you reckon would be best for front wheels on rear wheel drive powerchair?

Scooterman

Re: Punctures!!! Grrrrrrrr

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2022, 22:04

Makes no difference, tread no required. Slicks work better actually.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 07 Jun 2022, 01:34

The most effective way is to go tubeless , though a flat caster wouldn't stop me rolling .

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 1&start=30
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2022, 01:40

Doesent stop me either. I dont worry abut punctures. It reduces range and makes ramps more difficult. As long as the seating is reawards enough they dont stop you getting around. Fix at your lesiure!

This one wore out completely untill the tube itself protruded and wore a hole. And still it got me to the pub the previous day

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/puncture.mp4

Not a big issue if your chair is properly configured.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Micka7405 » 07 Jun 2022, 06:41

I use a preventive anti-puncture product and believe me where I walk there are many many thorns
i never have a leak puncture
Micka7405

Postby Scooterman » 07 Jun 2022, 07:43

Micka7405 wrote:I use a preventive anti-puncture product and believe me where I walk there are many many thorns
Thanks, do you squirt it inside the inner tube?

shirley_hkg wrote: though a flat caster wouldn't stop me rolling .

it didn’t me cos you don’t have any option when miles away from home and toolkit :hammer

But it was annoying cos I’d only just fitted new tubes and recently have had several punctures in front castors. And the noise of rolling on a flat annoys me.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2022, 10:13

Puncture seal goo only helps slightly in tubes. Very small pinpricks. Anything bigger and the tube expands around the hole and it fails. I use it anyway. But it absolutely works properly in tubeless tyres. But thats not easy in casters.

JuSt get strong tyres that stay the right shape when no air remains. Like the ones i fitted on the Q700.
https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 33#p171026

They are stiff enough that it doesent much matter! And will fit your forks. 8 dameter. 3 wide. Fits the same 4inch diameter rim. And allows the footrest to come back more so a shorter chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Micka7405 » 07 Jun 2022, 10:55

Scooterman wrote:
Micka7405 wrote:I use a preventive anti-puncture product and believe me where I walk there are many many thorns
Thanks, do you squirt it inside the inner tube?

shirley_hkg wrote: though a flat caster wouldn't stop me rolling .

it didn’t me cos you don’t have any option when miles away from home and toolkit :hammer

But it was annoying cos I’d only just fitted new tubes and recently have had several punctures in front castors. And the noise of rolling on a flat annoys me.

the thorns of some trees here are 5 cm long and their largest diameter is 4 mm
even with my tires with tubes it is very effective but it is an anti-puncture product for tubes not for tubeless
Micka7405

Postby Scragger7 » 07 Jun 2022, 15:23

I have gone to solids, no more punctures and before everyone carries on about the ride i have hardly noticed any difference. For peace of mind its worth it to me anyway.
Scragger7

Postby steves1977uk » 07 Jun 2022, 19:30

Solids are useless on wet slippery surfaces. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! :fencing And they also give a harsher ride in my experience.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2022, 20:50

Couldnt agree more. And wear fast and waste battery power and wear motors out quicker too. Terrible things. Thats why your car doesent use them...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Jay_x » 08 Jun 2022, 00:19

There was an anti flat system I was looking at that was self healing, some kind of band you installed inside the tire and when it got punctured it healed itself. I can't remember the name brand. Hopefully I can find it again.

or something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN4AjfoiZPQ&t=40s
Jay_x

Postby Jay_x » 08 Jun 2022, 01:06

THis tireject stuff looks like it might work pretty good. Gets great reveiws on amazon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfWyo5Pocl4
Jay_x

Postby Scooterman » 08 Jun 2022, 06:54

Thanks for all the replies guys, they’re much appreciated :thumbup:

I’m very interested in get a pair of the tyres you fitted to the Q700 BM. Can you remember what make and size they are?

I managed to repair puncture yesterday, another thorn :cussing But not as big as the thorns Mika encounters! :shock:

Bloody prams/pushchair’s, it’s the trouble with buses. She can’t even position it properly in the pushchair bay, it’s sticking half out into the aisle. The drivers bollock wheelchair users if you’re not positioned in the wheelchair bay properly. And some are really anal in demanding proof that the brakes are on. Which is a bit tricky with a powerchair. Then when another young mother gets on with a pushchair they park it in the gap a half in front of your toes. Then bugger off up the back of the bus with their phone leaving the kid in the buggy

https://postimg.cc/gallery/cgH2B7x

Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 08 Jun 2022, 07:11

Nice piccy of the Salsa R2 with my custom alu seat which has amazingly held together! :admirer

Simple set up and with lithium goes for miles and miles, although ride is a bit harsh at speed. :thumbdown:

But for me it’s just me legs that are shot (apart from 50% r.arm use - stroke), and the salsa gets me about outdoors so I can do food shopping by myself and go places and have a life. But I do appreciate you guys have it FAR harder than me, especially with things like pressure sores and not being able to use your legs (or even arms) at all! You need a more complex chair set up.

And%20before%20you%20say%20anything,%20no%20the%20frame%20isn’t%20pissed%20Ha%20Ha!%20That%20part%20of%20the%20garden%20where%20the%20fence%20blew%20down%20slops of the garden is pissed :fencing :D

EDIT Oops not sure how that happened, the %20 bit was supposed to be in italics :problem: :oops:
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jun 2022, 10:54

Controller looks to be in the wrong place to me. And that seat is very steep. But if it works for you...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 08 Jun 2022, 11:07

How do you manage to post photos upside down SM??? :lol: I have an iPhone and when I post pics they always seem to be the right way up! :D

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jun 2022, 11:18

Its the right way up here. However... Its actually iphones that do it wrong.

https://iphonephotographyschool.com/iph ... side-down/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 08 Jun 2022, 18:39

steves1977uk wrote:How do you manage to post photos upside down SM???! :D

Steve
Perhaps I’m holding the phone upside down? I shall make sure it’s the right way up next time.

Burgerman wrote:iphones
:admirer :admirer :admirer
Scooterman

Postby martin007 » 09 Jun 2022, 21:59

My powerchair has solid rear wheels.
It's the best decision I've ever made in my life.
Now I can leave the house...
If my doors were wider I would have thought about changing tires.
I even save a lot of money on tires and inner tubes.
My powerchair has 12 x 1/2 X 2 1/4 wheels.

P.S. I recommend looking for equivalent industrial tires.
Industrial tires (black) are cheap and of good quality.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jun 2022, 10:39

Scooterman. You moved?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 11 Jun 2022, 14:55

Nope, the only time I move is to raise one buttock and add to the uk's greenhouse emissions. :shifty:

Why have you found the purrrrrrfect place for me and puddy tat?

Seriously though, I have found a bungalow I'm interested in but it comes down to whether I've got the bottle to go for it.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jun 2022, 18:29

You live once Whats to lose?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 12 Jun 2022, 08:25

I agree mate, that's my thinking. I remember you saying that when I was umming and erring converting the scooter to lithium. :thumbup:
It's more grief from close relatives that is the problem. :thumbdown:
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jun 2022, 09:06

Those little yellow things that fit in your ears will stop that. You cant live your life pandering to relatives! Anyway they will get over it! And once moved apply for help/care/ from direct payments. It makes life massively easier. Try and get a pretty one. Its easier on the eye when you see them so often! And get ones that are good. Dont be afraid to fire and replace. You need a good work attitude, and someone reliable. And that will try anything that you need with some enthusiasm. That takes time to get right!

Life is better when you have an imaccuate clean house, help to do everything that you cant do yourself. And can employ whowever you want.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 12 Jun 2022, 09:49

Thank you. It's a nice clean bungalow with integral garage with remote roller garage door and internal door into bungalow. The internal doors are 2' 9" which is good, but the external (front and kitchen doors) are narrower cos of the uPVC frames I would guess? The only downside is you can obviously hear the traffic noise when sat in the garden. But I don't sit in the garden, at least never on my own. And as you say the 3M yellow squishy things work brilliantly. I have a load of them for on trains or buses so I don't have to listen to other people's phone calls. Plus there are also pretty good noise cancelling headphones/earphones. You can't have everything when looking for property, there's always some downside/s. But I've come to realise the inside room layout and low mainatanence structure and garden is more important than the garden.

Here's a piccy of it https://i.postimg.cc/ZnC6RNMv/Screensho ... -53-12.png

Burgerman wrote:Controller looks to be in the wrong place to me. And that seat is very steep. But if it works for you...

Seat angle is 10 degrees which is what I like. With a lap belt it makes me fell pretty secure in chair. :thumbup:

I followed your guide and also experiemted with controller position, and this works best for me. But unless riding on smooth tarmac I tend to ride along of 3 or 4 bars as the rear tyres are quite hard and I find pavement vibration is transmitted through controller joystick make a bit of a jerky ride. Rover has source me used Jive R2 120A r-net, 4-pole, 6mph for a good price incl del. I going to make a MkII version on the salsa but this time upgrade thickness of aluminium to 3.3mm. And the plan is to fit wider wheels and balloon tyres like your salsa/jive. I'm hoping it will give me smoother ride. I love me modified salsa and didn't want to start messing about with it. I want to keep it as it is.

Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jun 2022, 10:29

Looks ideal. Not very big so easy to maintain, and an essential garage. Dont worry about narrow doors as the local hospitals Occupational Therapist will do you a grant/paid by council to widen doors, fit wet room etc. Once in.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 12 Jun 2022, 11:17

Burgerman wrote:Looks ideal. Not very big so easy to maintain, and an essential garage. Dont worry about narrow doors as the local hospitals Occupational Therapist will do you a grant/paid by council to widen doors, fit wet room etc. Once in.

Thanks mate I appreciate that. It’s just as lovely and well cared for inside. https://postimg.cc/gallery/1w341c6
Scooterman

Postby Fedor » 19 Jun 2022, 14:45

Hi all. Also very stressful problem with punctures, especially their suddenness.
You never know where it will happen. In the yard of the house or 10 km away from home.
A puncture in the front tires never worries me, but a puncture in the rear tires and I'm 100% immobilized.

Thought about trying solid tires. Read the reviews, some are very happy, others say they are too hard and slip on ramps.
I use about 35 PSI in the rear tires and that's fine.

Do you think it makes sense to try solid tires? Thanks.
geek | non-native english | bear, vodka, balalaika
Fedor

Postby shirley_hkg » 19 Jun 2022, 15:19

Yes, at trade off of comfort and worn out fast.

There are better options , say going tubeless. Also much cheaper , £20 a pair for 5 years.
shirley_hkg

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair