Tyres.

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Tyres.

Postby happyworker » 12 Feb 2023, 12:32

Hi Burgerman,
Having read your various articles and comments on Tyres, I am stiil unable to find the ones you mention in your article, the Kendra 147/70-6 4 ply road and grass. The ones that have a tread, rather than the off-road knobbly. I tried the bay of e link you gave, also Terrain Tyres. Terrain Tyres say they don't do them, and the knobbly ones on the bay of e state they are not suitable for highway use. The chair is mainly used on pavements/highways going out shopping etc., but need to cope with grass verges where cars feel that they have a right to park on pavements,and the occasional trip across the park; where the path is a cart track and usually muddy. The Knobbly tyres I have say not suitable for Highways, but are great for reducing stress to your body when going over the cobbled roads and pavements that our Council have re-installed in our town and shopping area; because it is in keeping with the traditional Market town effect that we had years ago. The only possible link I did find was for the USA. But once again that means importing. The problem with importing from the USA is that I usually don't get my goods. They arrive at Customs; where customs then hand them over to the Royal Mail to collect Import Duty and VAT plus the additional cost of Royal Mail Delivery; as the Delivery charge you pay the Supplier only covers it to Customs. Once Royal Mail have them, that's it LOST in the system. Royal Mail don't inform you they have your Parcel and they are wanting you to pay the additional charges. If you contact Royal Mail to query where your parcel is they want a UK Tracking number in order to locate your parcel. However, your parcel is not allocated a UK Tracking Number until you have paid your fees and they are then ready to deliver it. Hence your parcel is stuck in a warehouse for 14 days before they then send it back to the Supplier with the Note saying "Delivery Refused". Yet another cock-up of our systems. We don't get the same problem with Imports from China because our Government Sold us to China. The result being that China can Import what they like without the additional Import Charges and don't have to comply with the UK Trading and Health Standards. I hope your kids are learning to speak Chineese, as they will soon need it when China take over. They already collect all your data from your TIK-TOK accounts. Anyway, back to Tyres. Where can I get the ones with tread as you show in the photos of your BM3 machine.
happyworker

Re: Tyres.

Postby LROBBINS » 12 Feb 2023, 15:26

Not for highway use means "not at typical vehicle speeds and loadings". On a wheelchair that's not really an issue.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 26 Feb 2023, 10:30

Those will be hard wearing, and fit the X5 and V6 and V4 fine. They will be a more harsh ride than the stock tyresbut last 4 or 5 times longer.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 26 Feb 2023, 20:11

One of the reasons you struggle to find those tyresI use is that they are not metric sized like your 145/70 6 tyres.
The onesI use are imperial sizing, but both fit the same 6 inch rim.
So 15 x 6.00 - 6 means that they are 15 inch (14.4 in reality) overall diameter. Six inches wide overall. And fits a 6 inch diameter rim. They are then a fraction taller, and around 1/2 inch wider than th stock x5 tyres.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby 700R » 26 Feb 2023, 20:28

700R

Postby Burgerman » 26 Feb 2023, 22:06

Ditto. Because I dont like punctures. And because they last forever. And they are not the most comfortable tyre and do eat a few extra amps! Everything is a compromie.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby saker98 » 11 Mar 2023, 22:06

Hi, have just purchased these tyres:
[url]https://thequadcentre.com/product/145-70-6-6ply-forerunner-massfx-atv-tyre//url]
[url]https://thequadcentre.com/product/145-70-6-6ply-forerunner-massfx-atv-tyre[url]

to go with my https://www.rosscastors.co.uk/k-shield-k500-puncture-proof-tyre-15x6-00-6-pack-of-2.html.

I just have to get the right set of rims for both and create the hub adapters.

James,
saker98

Postby saker98 » 11 Mar 2023, 22:40

Hi,

Just an edit for the post above,

https://thequadcentre.com/product/145-70-6-6ply-forerunner-massfx-atv-tyre/

https://www.tractortyresdirect.co.uk/14570-6-6-ply-forerunner-massfx-grinder-quad-bike-atv-tyre Slightly cheaper.

This is what should have appeared in the post above.

regards
James
saker98

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Mar 2023, 01:44

Those V-tread type tires are arguably better off-road depending on the surface (they would be great on global warming, but not as good on ice) but some folks have reported that they give a 'bobbley' ride on floors / pavement... They also seem to use a softer rubber compound that doesn't wear as well... They are also more likely to tear up lawns or 'delicate' surfaces...

There are a lot of variants of the 'turf' style that are a smoother tread. Check the various places that supply parts for garden tractors and lawn mowers, or Amazon / Ebay... I have not found any that offer the Kevlar belt "K-shield" that BM likes in the US. I don't know why but they don't seem to import them.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair