sick of bumps

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

sick of bumps

Postby charlie ford » 15 Mar 2023, 12:07

had enough of rough ride,what are the manufacturers doing?
e.g ballon tyres,quickies 525 rubber torsion,222 fibreglass springs seat,coil spring at motors,etc.
any new or custom ideas welcome!
charlie ford

Re: sick of bumps

Postby Burgerman » 15 Mar 2023, 13:59

Well there is only one real solution and that is a longer and wider wheelbase. As things stand we are on a powered barstool. Its very hard to get a smooth ride.

The best ride of any powerchair I ever tested was on the invacare chair here with 4 wheel suspension, relatively long and wide chair. And that had terrible motors...
Attachments
810_1763-smaller.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: sick of bumps

Postby duke1 » 15 Mar 2023, 18:07

charlie ford wrote:had enough of rough ride,what are the manufacturers doing?
e.g ballon tyres,quickies 525 rubber torsion,222 fibreglass springs seat,coil spring at motors,etc.
any new or custom ideas welcome!

hi both myself and my tina have handicare puma 40 chairs which originally are fitted with the rubber aircraft type shock absorbers which i guess when newish probably worked to some extent but like all rubber after 10 years it has changed and is harder and dried and no longer helps but infact make bumps worse,may as well be solid!
so i looked around for replacements,the originals are no longer available new and seems pointless buying used,so i measured the originals and found some from a 4x4 quad with adjustable oil filled shocks rated at 250lb and have fitted them on both chairs along with the tubeless wheel and tyres from @shirley and i can say they are both far more comfortable and less than £100 for the shocks for both chairs,how long they last we have yet to find out of course.
i see the modern version of the puma has front as well as rear suspension but not having tried one im unsure how much difference it makes,i hope you find some comfort soon! :joint
duke1

Return to Everything Powerchair