Permobil software patch for Omni2 SID?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Permobil software patch for Omni2 SID?

Postby Smark67 » 03 Apr 2023, 13:55

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has access to Permobil's (I know right) software patch/fix that they introduced for the Omni2 input section, specifically the SID Port 2 9-way D type socket adapter to use for peripheral mouse buttons? I have the adaptive hardware but not the software, which Permobil want to charge £255 to come out and install! I know I could do it myself easily if I could just access the software.

Anyway, thanks in advance. :-) Is
Smark67

Re: Permobil software patch for Omni2 SID?

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2023, 14:38

I doubt you have any chance! You are now part of permobil$ sy$tem...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 03 Apr 2023, 17:26

Burgerman wrote:I doubt you have any chance! You are now part of permobil$ sy$tem...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You always go straight to the point.
Permobil goes straight to your wallet...
martin007

Postby Smark67 » 03 Apr 2023, 17:45

Okay I get the point. I even added a little disclaimer to try and avoid it. Was looking for assistance rather than repeated ridicule. x
Smark67

Postby martin007 » 03 Apr 2023, 17:51

Smark67 wrote:Okay I get the point. I even added a little disclaimer to try and avoid it. Was looking for assistance rather than repeated ridicule. x

Don't get angry or take it badly.
A little humor is good.

Burgerman just trying to tell you that you've married with Permobil.
That's Permobil.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2023, 17:55

Its not my fault that permobil do this. Or pride. Dont shoot the messenger. Anyway you may be lucky. Someone may have an answer. Or what you need. Rover? Or soeone that uses permobils. Maybe a permobil firmware modded Omni2 or something.

One thing baffles me. It already has 2 seperate inputs as a stock R-Net part that can be used for seperate input devices, and shouldnt need anything else that I can see. So what does their modded firmware actually do? Is it to do with BT or something because if so that means their ICS. So custom stuff.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Smark67 » 03 Apr 2023, 17:59

martin007 wrote:
Smark67 wrote:Okay I get the point. I even added a little disclaimer to try and avoid it. Was looking for assistance rather than repeated ridicule. x

Don't get angry or take it badly.
A little humor is good.

Burgerman just trying to tell you that you've married with Permobil.
That's Permobil.

Thanks ever so for the advice! But every time?
Smark67

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2023, 18:06

Because its frustrating that ther isnt a different answer and its impossible to help usually.

What are you trying to do? Get your mouse buttons to work with permobils ICS and their BT module? Then I dont see a way without open wallet surgery. Which is the plan!

So why doesent the usual method work? The Omni includes BT.
https://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/educat ... -bluetooth
The 2 inputs can both be active with seperate input devices (in programming).
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 03 Apr 2023, 21:42

My Dietz chair doesn't have this issue since it uses the unmodified generic R-net system, so no issue with programming the Omni2 setup.

Permobils on the other hand are over complicated and locked down by them so they can screw us end users out of more £££$$$'s. :cussing This is why I would never own one or a Pride chair.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby ex-Gooserider » 04 Apr 2023, 00:28

Do we have any Permobil users that live in Colorado, USA??? It is worth noting that Colorado recently passed a power wheelchair Right to Repair law, which has now gone into effect.

A few days ago I saw an article linked by one of the R2R groups on what was believed to be the FIRST wheelchair user taking advantage of it... He was using a Pride chair, judging from the photos a fancier function model with a sip & puff controller, and according to the article got Pride to give him access to the smart-phone app that his dealer was using to adjust the chair's programming...

Presumably a Colorado Permobil user could demand access to the Permobil software.... It probably would only get Dealer level as opposed to OEM, but that is better than what we seem to have now... (We can hope that it would be possible to share it once someone gets it)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby slomobile » 04 Apr 2023, 17:33

Yes we do have a Colorado resident Permobil user among us preparing to invoke their right to repair under the new law. I'm not sure how much that user would like me to reveal, but one concern right now is what specifically to ask for and how to go about doing it. And the question "Is it legal to distribute materials obtained under the Colorado law outside of Colorado?" It is a potential legal minefield that could set right to repair back with a misstep. (NOT) legal advice from anyone familiar with the law is welcome.

Firmware for example is one of the things which should be provided under the law. There are no official forms or procedures as far as I know. You just write a letter and ask. Or make a call and ask.

Can you describe a bit more about the Omni2 SID software patch that you need? Is the software or feature advertised anywhere? Just so I can get a better understanding of what it is, and how to phrase a request for it.
slomobile

Postby rover220 » 04 Apr 2023, 18:13

You are asking for something to be done that no other manufacturer has a solution for.

I'd consider it decent value.

The constant anti permobil and pride rhetoric from those with very little experience is becoming boring.
rover220

Postby rover220 » 04 Apr 2023, 18:15

Burgerman wrote:Because its frustrating that ther isnt a different answer and its impossible to help usually.

What are you trying to do? Get your mouse buttons to work with permobils ICS and their BT module? Then I dont see a way without open wallet surgery. Which is the plan!

So why doesent the usual method work? The Omni includes BT.
https://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/educat ... -bluetooth
The 2 inputs can both be active with seperate input devices (in programming).

Nothing to do with ics. He wants to be able to use 2 buttons for a left and right click, except there is no way of doing this with an omni 2 as it stands......
rover220

Postby rover220 » 04 Apr 2023, 18:16

steves1977uk wrote:My Dietz chair doesn't have this issue since it uses the unmodified generic R-net system, so no issue with programming the Omni2 setup.

Permobils on the other hand are over complicated and locked down by them so they can screw us end users out of more £££$$$'s. :cussing This is why I would never own one or a Pride chair.

Steve

Yes it will have that issue if you want to achieve what Mark wants to. This issue is not because he has a permobil.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 04 Apr 2023, 18:25

Maybe not on this occasion. But thats an exception to the usual situation isnt it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Smark67 » 04 Apr 2023, 18:57

Thanks everybody for trying! :-) :-)

The actual crux of the issue is that Lifestyle & Mobility sold me a chair which they said was the mirror setup of my previous/spare chair, in that the peripheral buttons they had added would work my mouse buttons. However, as I was to subsequently discover, along with other things they said they had done or hadn't (because they don't seem to understand 'complex' chairs that well, at all) it was bullshit! It couldn't be done without the extra SID 9-way adapter plug cross this extra software patch. When I contacted them, via Pete Jones who was representing Permobil and liaising with them when they sold it to me, who now works for them, he/they denied all responsibility for it and then wanted to quote me to come out and do what needed doing as they have the patch! Hence I am stuck in the situation I'm in now. If I could get the same BT adapters as I've got on my spare chair (and no I can't just swap them over because I need the facility in whatever chair I'm in) then I would go that route again, because that was effectively plug and play, but they seem to be obsolete now.
So I'm currently finding them the bastards in this situation!
:-)
Smark67

Postby rover220 » 04 Apr 2023, 19:08

Smark67 wrote:Thanks everybody for trying! :-) :-)

The actual crux of the issue is that Lifestyle & Mobility sold me a chair which they said was the mirror setup of my previous/spare chair, in that the peripheral buttons they had added would work my mouse buttons. However, as I was to subsequently discover, along with other things they said they had done or hadn't (because they don't seem to understand 'complex' chairs that well, at all) it was bullshit! It couldn't be done without the extra SID 9-way adapter plug cross this extra software patch. When I contacted them, via Pete Jones who was representing Permobil and liaising with them when they sold it to me, who now works for them, he/they denied all responsibility for it and then wanted to quote me to come out and do what needed doing as they have the patch! Hence I am stuck in the situation I'm in now. If I could get the same BT adapters as I've got on my spare chair (and no I can't just swap them over because I need the facility in whatever chair I'm in) then I would go that route again, because that was effectively plug and play, but they seem to be obsolete now.
So I'm currently finding them the bastards in this situation!
:-)

I have mouse 1 and 2 modules I would sell if it helps you out of a bind. I normally keep them for assessment use but I could use an omni 2 instead.
rover220

Postby Smark67 » 04 Apr 2023, 21:23

Hi, would that be part numbers D51111 & D51523? If so could you message or email me how much you would want for them please? Don't suppose you have any of the cables, particularly SA80756? :)
Cheers,
Mark
Smark67

Postby Burgerman » 04 Apr 2023, 21:52

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325601331953 theres one here. Quite common on ebay.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair