Linx error code: "Right magnetic brake fault"

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Linx error code: "Right magnetic brake fault"

Postby Jay_x » 29 Jul 2023, 18:00

on my brand new Invacare Aviva I keep getting this error code. The joystick randomly starts flashing red (instead of the usual green color) and the chair freezes. I shut it off, start it up again and everything is fine. It does this about once every two hours. It flashes six times, which the manual says means "Right magnetic brake fault"

What should I do about this?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/http://www.invacare.com/doc_files/60101835.pdf
Jay_x

Re: Linx error code: "Right magnetic brake fault"

Postby LROBBINS » 29 Jul 2023, 18:35

The brakes themselves fail less often than the wiring and (on chairs that have them - which is most chairs) the microswitch that cuts power to the brake if in freewheel. So, the first things to check are the wiring - connectors clean and bright and tight fitting - and the freewheel mechanism - is it fully disengaged and is it adjusted so that the microswitch is "closed". You might also check the resistance of the brake coil - it should neither be a dead short nor open, but somewhere in the range of 10 to 100 ohms.
LROBBINS

Postby Jay_x » 29 Jul 2023, 18:40

LROBBINS wrote:The brakes themselves fail less often than the wiring and (on chairs that have them - which is most chairs) the microswitch that cuts power to the brake if in freewheel. So, the first things to check are the wiring - connectors clean and bright and tight fitting - and the freewheel mechanism - is it fully disengaged and is it adjusted so that the microswitch is "closed". You might also check the resistance of the brake coil - it should neither be a dead short nor open, but somewhere in the range of 10 to 100 ohms.

ok thanks, I can't check Ohm levels or anything like that. I am just really annoyed that a barn new chair, less than two weeks old, has issues like this. Should not be the case. I did check the wiring as best as I can, looks good near as I can tell. Guess I will just have to have the tech take a look at it.
Jay_x

Postby LROBBINS » 29 Jul 2023, 19:37

Do work the freewheel lever back and forth a couple times and then make sure it is solidly NOT in freewheel. It could be as simple as that.
LROBBINS

Postby Jay_x » 29 Jul 2023, 19:57

LROBBINS wrote:Do work the freewheel lever back and forth a couple times and then make sure it is solidly NOT in freewheel. It could be as simple as that.

you mean the lever that changes it into manual mode? I have done that. Made absolutely sure its locked in, doesn't change anything.
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jul 2023, 20:23

Ignoring the fault/frustration what is it like as a chair?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jul 2023, 20:39

You should keep a copy of this for future use. And read it. It tells you everything about the Linx control system. Its not very user freindly but this is the tech manual. https://www.invacare.eu.com/sites/eu/fi ... -print.pdf
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Jay_x » 29 Jul 2023, 21:04

Burgerman wrote:Ignoring the fault/frustration what is it like as a chair?

The footplate and the arm rests seems a bit flimsy. They are not as solidly built as in other chairs, that is a disappointment. the suspension is just not that great. Then again its not much worse than any other chair I have had. The right front tired squealed and stuttered everytime it turned around for the first day or two, then stopped. No idea what that was about. Overall build quality seems lower than Quantum or Bounder.

Its probably the most comfortable chair I have sat in. It has this adjustable lumbar support that is really nice. I had them move the seat back and its now extremely compact. It handles great. Super maneuverable. With the seat moved back its now the most maneuverable chair I have ever used due to its short length.

I need the rep to come back and program the joystick some more and he isn't being very responsive.

I haven't taken it out on the road much at all. Currently I won't leave the house with it until the electrical issues are solved.
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jul 2023, 22:16

I need the rep to come back and program the joystick some more and he isn't being very responsive.

Best of luck with that.
I have OEM access. He doesent. And I cant make head nor tail of it and it doesent even work properly in windows. Missing scroll bars etc. Things missing off the bottom of the screen. And about as un user feindly as any programmer I ever saw. Its all chinese and very unclear what anything will do.

And he wont even HAVE OEM access. So not a chance, even if he understands it. He wont! Hence my instant swap out for r-net if I ever get a lynx chair/system.

The flimsy seating thing seems to be across the board now. Same on the Q chairs. I could wreck it while seated in it in a matter of minutes.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 01 Aug 2023, 12:26

Jay_x wrote:on my brand new Invacare Aviva I keep getting this error code. The joystick randomly starts flashing red (instead of the usual green color) and the chair freezes. I shut it off, start it up again and everything is fine. It does this about once every two hours. It flashes six times, which the manual says means "Right magnetic brake fault"

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/http://www.invacare.com/doc_files/60101835.pdf

i also have Linx electronics.

when you get the error code are you driving over rough or bumpy terrain or hitting a big bump?
Invacare tdx sp
Bounder 300M 200ah lifepo4
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2023, 14:34

If any system does this then you must have a bad connection somewhere.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Jay_x » 01 Aug 2023, 17:14

fishinjunky wrote:
Jay_x wrote:on my brand new Invacare Aviva I keep getting this error code. The joystick randomly starts flashing red (instead of the usual green color) and the chair freezes. I shut it off, start it up again and everything is fine. It does this about once every two hours. It flashes six times, which the manual says means "Right magnetic brake fault"

i also have Linx electronics.

when you get the error code are you driving over rough or bumpy terrain or hitting a big bump?

Nope, it can be in the morning before I have even left the house.
Jay_x

Postby Jay_x » 01 Aug 2023, 17:18

Okay so the tech came out today and took both sides apart, both brakes. He said they both looked the same and didn't see any issues. He put the dongle on my joystick and got the error code history and did see that this error code had popped up repeatedly over the last week. So he asked another tech and they told him to loosen up the zip ties that hold the cabling together as super tight zip ties could cause this. That sounds silly to me, but what do I know?

Anyway its Tuesday and it hasn't happened since Saturday. So we will see if this zip tie solution works. If it happens again he said he will just replace the motor.
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2023, 17:54

So he asked another tech and they told him to loosen up the zip ties that hold the cabling together as super tight zip ties could cause this. That sounds silly to me, but what do I know?

Me too. UNLESS a cable is too tight pulling a connector apart. As for changing a motor that too sounds just as silly to me. At least without diagnosing the issue properly. Hard to see how it could be a motor.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Jay_x » 01 Aug 2023, 18:10

I don't understand why it happened like 15 times between Thursday and Saturday and then stopped? Han'st happened at all sun, mon or tues. Weird shit. don't get it.

also yesterday took it out into the yard and intentionally rode over as many bumps as I could to see if that could trigger the issue, but it worked just fine.
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2023, 18:16

Somewhere the two wires that go to the brake (via a microswitch that may be faulty or subject to internal bad connectivity) theres an intermittent bad connection. Failing this, provided that the motor brake has the same dc and ac impedance/resistance each side then you have a brake current sensor issue. Thats not replacable it means a replacement power module.

Again, if the techs had a clue they would break out the multimeter, after using a little thinking and logic, as I just have and TEST this accurately to be sure and to actually diaagnose the fault. Then they wouldnt be incorectly guessing and fitting a new motor...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Jay_x » 02 Aug 2023, 16:13

well it started up again, so I guess they are going to replace the motor. We will see if that solves the issue.

absolutely stunned the zip tie solution didn't work (sarcasm)
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2023, 16:40

So they are randomely swapping parts again. How expert.

I doubt its a motor. Or rather a brake. Its possible that the tiny microswitch on the brake may be oxydised. But personally I would FIND the fault and work from there.

If I had to guess (I dont I have a brain and a multimeter) I would say its a brake intermittent connection issue. Swapping a motor may also fix that inadvertantly but its a bit rediculous to do that without finding out first! But my guesswork money is a power module fault.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Jay_x » 02 Aug 2023, 16:45

The chair is two weeks old, I dang sure hope parts are not oxidizing already. But who knows?
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2023, 17:28

The microswitch may be older than the chair, have oil, have some dirt, or something on a contact. Might be a cable on the brake connection to the brake, the microswitch or the power module end. A quick sqirt of deoxit on all of those connections and even into the microswitch might be all it needed. Or it may be a failed or faulty power module. It cant be anything else because thats everything there is on a motor/brake control system.

The problem with just randomely swapping out motors, cables, power modules or brake or whatever is that you dont know what was faulty or if you really fixed the problem. Actually diagnosing and measuring and finding a fault means you know you swapped or fixed the correct thing. Once. And it wouldnt take as long as 3 trips out to swap parts over at random... I pretty much garantee I can find that fault inside 30 mins. Probably much less by actually using logic and a multimeter. And I am a plumber :problem:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hotwheels_75 » 14 Dec 2023, 23:15

Did you get this problem sorted/figure out what was causing it? I want a new chair and leaning towards the Aviva… I’m in Canada and severely limited on choices.
hotwheels_75

Postby fishinjunky » 18 Dec 2023, 13:20

did you figure out whats causing the error?
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 18 Dec 2023, 14:56

This was in august. I suspect he wont be back till something goes wrong again.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 20 Dec 2023, 13:39

Burgerman wrote:This was in august. I suspect he wont be back till something goes wrong again.

thats unfortunate. I would really like to know because i have linx and I keep notes on any issues people have and the fixes for future referencing. I recently talked to someone else that has Linx their gyro scope leveling system in the tilt module malfunctioned. I can also say the Linx bus cables are crap :cussing
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Return to Everything Powerchair