WiFi Dongle

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: WiFi Dongle

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2023, 07:26

And to finish from the previous 2 posts,
The WiFi dongle is NOT limited to the joystick functionality. It does far more.

It does absolutely exactly the same thing as OBP (which is dealer level) does. For programming functionality theres literaly no difference. But this falls short of whats needed. Especially if you modify chairs and need to adjust technical stuff like brake voltages/motor compensation etc.

It doesent do the joysticks own internal configuration (settings) either so you still need to do that on the joystck itself anyway.
It doesent take hours or lots of skill to enable OBP. Its literally a single tick box!
And... For 20 years the OEM dongle, was available in the US from the powersoccershop. For 360 dollars (I bought one) and 40 dollars delivery to the UK...
https://powersoccershop.com/pcprogrammer.aspx
THIS is now $550! But they have 30% discount sales periodically. Thats why I bought. Currently out of stock. Because chip shortage and these are on a waiting list even from manufacturer PGDT where I have an account in the UK.

That said, if you cant find an OEM one anywhere, (I managed to get several over the years for others as well as myself, and at least 5 or 6 have sold on here used so its possible) then get someone with an OEM level programmer already (many on this forum) to enable on board programming for you. If not then you have no choice but to buy dealer level. Which IS AVAILABLE easily. £280 retail. See above.

The problem is that PERMOBIL dont even allow their techs to have OEM level tools. As far as they are concerned they dont exist! Only their OEM design or factory tech guys have them. So you will never get any PERMOBIL "tech" to enable OEM. Because they do not have the tools. Probably dont even know what you are talking about. Screen shot below is to show just how simple this actually is!
However other manufacturers (not pride) do have OEM tools in the field. So its not impossible to get this done. Even by Email on here. Just need a little knowledge. So with this in mind, theres 2 things you could have done/CAN still do.

1. Got a different brand of chairs R-Net OEM programmer or a R-Net generic one to enable OBP (takes literaly 20 seconds to connect and tick ONE box). For e.g I have done this many times BY EMAIL for people with a dealer dongle. This should work with the orange dealer dongle just the same. DEALER dongles allow you to add a OEM level settings file.

2. SEND ME your settings file from your permobil. I will enable OBP and email it back to you.

3. Send me a PM and I will give you a link to the GENERIC OEM software, PERMOBIL OEM software, Sunrise OEM software etc. With some instructions as to how to use this to modify your files and then load them as you want with your orange dongle. Then you wont even want OBP...

600 was silly price. You can get a DEALER dongle from any sunrise dealer for e.g for £280 delivered with dealer software cables etc. And this is all you need. I could buy one here and ship it to you for much less. Once you have OEM access you wont bother connecting dealer level anyway so the wireless bit is pretty much irrelivant. In any case you still have to connect it to the bus cables so what difference does an (easier) USB cable make?

OBP enable!
Can be done with Sunrise, Generic, Meyra, or any manufacturers OEM programmer. This is the PERMOBIL OEM software... Because we have this!
***Disclaimer. This may not actually work on permobils. Because - Its permobil! They do everything possible to lock down their stuff and make it impossible to do most things. And I ever tried it. Works on normal R-net fine.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
1 TICK...
Image1.jpg
1 TICK...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Wheelchair Ghost » 04 Sep 2023, 16:59

I have a smittering of experience with such things. At one time I carried over 20 dongles in my service truck and used at least one of them every day. Thanks to the WiFi dongle, I currently have all the dongles and software I could possibly need, for many EV systems. Like every type of wheelchair, this WiFi dongle rocks the intended use! Ya know, there's pluses and minuses in everything humans make. Like your home brew chairs. I couldn't use them, but they're perfect for you.
Wheelchair Ghost (it/that)

Beetlejuice is a fraud. Thinks he's so cool... afraid of sandworms... HA! I laugh at your sandworms!
Wheelchair Ghost

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2023, 17:00

So you are not interested in my offer then?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Wheelchair Ghost » 04 Sep 2023, 19:18

Correct. I don't need help configurizing Rnet...

Making an ICS controller behave is another story all together.

A little poking suggests it might be possible to use the module the way I want, but not through the general speculations of those who imagine how it works.

It will require knowledge of the script used to configure ICS modules. I believe it's a complex XML script. With the documentation I could configure to make Rnet irrelevant (if it's possible) or simulate the module's requirements.

The other option is to reverse engineer. Monitor all IO and CAN bus. Learn the module's requirements and simulate them. It would take several frustrating weeks of my time and cost money to reverse engineer. I have done that for numerous projects, but it's not worth it for one silly seat on one wheelchair for one user, not even when *I* am the user.

Beetlejuice is a fraud. Thinks he's so cool... afraid of sandworms... HA! I laugh at your sandworms!
Wheelchair Ghost

Postby daveonwheels » 04 Sep 2023, 20:25

Wheelchair Ghost wrote:Correct. I don't need help configurizing Rnet...

Making an ICS controller behave is another story all together.

A little poking suggests it might be possible to use the module the way I want, but not through the general speculations of those who imagine how it works.

It will require knowledge of the script used to configure ICS modules. I believe it's a complex XML script. With the documentation I could configure to make Rnet irrelevant (if it's possible) or simulate the module's requirements.

The other option is to reverse engineer. Monitor all IO and CAN bus. Learn the module's requirements and simulate them. It would take several frustrating weeks of my time and cost money to reverse engineer. I have done that for numerous projects, but it's not worth it for one silly seat on one wheelchair for one user, not even when *I* am the user.

you are not the first to try. but you will fail
daveonwheels

Postby Wheelchair Ghost » 04 Sep 2023, 22:33

you are not the first to try. but you will fail

Naw Dave, I'm not going to fail, I'm not even going to try. If I were going to try then I would not have posted about it.

I posted here looking for someone with actual knowledge of HOW the module works. Regarding the ICS configuration, nearly everything I've ever seen online is silly speculation. The ICS module is a true "Black Box" in this regard. Obviously, Permobil has not allowed the info to escape.

Wheelchair Ghost

Postby Burgerman » 05 Sep 2023, 00:48

There are other ways though. After all its just a small bunch of actuators/DC motors.

E.G. 5 of these. https://spemco.com/spr93-rocker-switch- ... terminals/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Wheelchair Ghost » 05 Sep 2023, 01:56

Burgerman - check my blog once in a while. The chair might be done by end of year.

We'll see if the Body Point belt on a Corpus seat is enough for a flying chair. If you've not seen it then watch a few videos on the Outrider Coyote. I'm building for performance close to that, but a quick look will see it as a scooter loaned by the grocery store.

I wanna run through the desert on a chair with no name... and leave that dumb horse in the dust... and I'm not gonna haul a monster tank chair with a dually pickup to do it at 3 mph while telling myself it's COOL to have rubber tank tracks with a 1.8 mile range and 7 feet wide with no way to actually GET IN THE SEAT! Tank chairs work for some people because they have no better option.

Wheelchairs should have insane performance and still U-turn in the grocery isle. It won't work in my house, but neither will my F5.

https://wheelchairghost.com/BorgChair.html

Wheelchair Ghost

Postby Burgerman » 05 Sep 2023, 02:08

I see a parts list? I will keep my eye on it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair