mobile phone holder

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

mobile phone holder

Postby q700m » 18 Sep 2023, 11:52

sunrise medical mobile phone holder, or could I adopt one?
q700m

Re: mobile phone holder

Postby Burgerman » 18 Sep 2023, 15:41

You could do either. Or both. Or do as I do.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 18 Sep 2023, 15:46

You might be able to adapt a bike mobile phone holder, as they merely grip onto handlebars or poles or wherever suitable on the bike. But where you'd put it on the wheelchair, I don't know.

For myself, I carry in my handbag a phone, a USB cable, a power brick and a USB warming pad when it is cold weather. I do not find all those mobile phone adapters and adaptations for wheelchairs very useful.
biscuit

Postby shirley_hkg » 18 Sep 2023, 16:43

and they are ridiculously expensive too.
shirley_hkg

Postby rover220 » 18 Sep 2023, 17:16

Ram mount x grip.
rover220

Postby 700R » 18 Sep 2023, 20:14

If you just want somewhere to place your phone and not see it you could use the Quokka range. Once you fit the adaptor to your Q side rail you can fit either a bag, phone holder or cup holder.
700R

Postby Burgerman » 18 Sep 2023, 20:28

You might be able to adapt a bike mobile phone holder, as they merely grip onto handlebars or poles or wherever suitable on the bike. But where you'd put it on the wheelchair, I don't know.

For myself, I carry in my handbag a phone, a USB cable, a power brick and a USB warming pad when it is cold weather. I do not find all those mobile phone adapters and adaptations for wheelchairs very useful.

I agree. Well I dont mean I have a handbag! :lol: :oops:
I man they look like a great way to get your "phone" dropped, stolen, or other bad stuff. And they are always wobbly along with the chairs arms.

So what did I do? I threw it away. Smart phones are just the opposite. But regarding the bag, I do have one. I use a conventional "bum bag" but around my legs/knees. Its full of medication, a proper flip phone for calls, keys, cash, and magnet on a stick etc. It holds my legs together neatly, it also makes your legs like a "flat" stable table to sit laptps or girls (I should be so lucky lucky lucky...) etc on.

These: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=bum+ba ... &ia=images

Get one with wide straps and preferably velcro. Rather than a clip. These things mean everything you need is right in front of you and your legs are held too. If you do it up tight. If not then they are not! Very very useful.
Attachments
1452LBlackSide.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby 700R » 18 Sep 2023, 20:33

I use a centre bag that velcros under my cushion and hangs neatly on my centremount without being the slightest bit intrusive. It's the self respecting version of wearing an effeminate bag. :lol:
700R

Postby martin007 » 18 Sep 2023, 20:56

q700m wrote:sunrise medical mobile phone holder, or could I adopt one?

What do you want that phone for? :shock:
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 19 Sep 2023, 01:10

Me? Calls. Emergency access to a rescue! Thats what a phone is for. The flip phones are cheap, disposable, but last years. I got 2 for about 29 quid from memory about 12 or more years ago. I charge it every month weather it needs it or not.

Its small and goes in with my money. Also seems unbreakable!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 19 Sep 2023, 01:18

Seems like a lot depends on what you are needing the holder to do...

Some high level quads need to have the phone held in a position where they can reach it w/o needing to dig it out of a bag, or do a lot of other manipulation... In that case, you probably need a consult w/ an OT type to figure out what the best sort of medical / wheelchair specific mount you need to fit your specific abilities...

If you don't need that sort of setup, then no reason to pay the big bucks for something wheelchair specific - find a holder / bag that does what you want, and make it fit... My primary bag is a converted carpenter's work pouch setup and I carry my wallet, a few other items and things like cards, tools, gloves for cathing, etc. in it... I have a small pouch for my phone that clips on the handle for my seat cushion, which also has a small pouch for extra pens, and other odds and ends on the front of it....

A fanny pack like BM mentions can also be useful as it allows for on-body carry that is relatively comfortable, and which works better when seated than the more usual strong side holster. A strong side holster often is problematic since the chair arms can restrict access to it.... However a carefully selected fanny-pack (It has to fit the piece, and you should avoid ones that look "tactical") does a nice job of allowing concealed carry with good access, w/o advertising... (especially if you choose 'grey-man' clothing otherwise)

The only downside of a fanny pack, is that even though it is allowed per IDPA and similar competition rules, most matches and ranges won't allow them because of concerns about 'flagging' the persons next to you on the line... This makes live fire practice more difficult to do....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 19 Sep 2023, 01:23

A fanny pack like BM mentions

In english a "fanny" pack doesent mean what you think it does...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby 700R » 19 Sep 2023, 10:48

Burgerman wrote:In english a "fanny" pack doesent mean what you think it does...

Oh it does, hence my other comment. :lol:
700R

Postby martin007 » 19 Sep 2023, 17:48

Burgerman wrote:Me? Calls. Emergency access to a rescue! Thats what a phone is for. The flip phones are cheap, disposable, but last years. I got 2 for about 29 quid from memory about 12 or more years ago. I charge it every month weather it needs it or not.

Its small and goes in with my money. Also seems unbreakable!

The question was for q700m.
He started the topic.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2023, 01:09

OK. butred

:D
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 21 Sep 2023, 12:12

Burgerman wrote:

I agree. Well I dont mean I have a handbag! :lol: :oops:
I man they look like a great way to get your "phone" dropped, stolen, or other bad stuff. And they are always wobbly along with the chairs arms.

So what did I do? I threw it away. Smart phones are just the opposite. But regarding the bag, I do have one. I use a conventional "bum bag" but around my legs/knees. Its full of medication, a proper flip phone for calls, keys, cash, and magnet on a stick etc. It holds my legs together neatly, it also makes your legs like a "flat" stable table to sit laptps or girls (I should be so lucky lucky lucky...) etc on.

These: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=bum+ba ... &ia=images

Get one with wide straps and preferably velcro. Rather than a clip. These things mean everything you need is right in front of you and your legs are held too. If you do it up tight. If not then they are not! Very very useful.

I just ordered one of these :thumbup: great idea
Invacare tdx sp
Bounder 300M 200ah lifepo4
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 21 Sep 2023, 15:17

You might need 3 or 4 goes until you find one thats just right.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 21 Sep 2023, 21:02

Burgerman wrote:The flip phones are cheap, disposable, but last years.

True. In the US most major carriers are now restricting their networks to a short list of approved compatible modern phones. That does not usually include flip phones unless you count the new folding screen phone as a flip phone. Very few flip phones are 5G. Existing flip phones subscribed to a current line of service keep working. But if it is taken off the network for any reason, you probably wont be able to add it back on. You certainly cannot use any flip phone that does not have GPS built in.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 21 Sep 2023, 22:03

Only 3G is going away.
4G is here forever. And 5G is new, no full coverage as its relatively short range only used when the phone can, and if theres a good enough signal.
4G is fast. I get reliable 60 to 80mbps with a 4G sim in a modem on my window sill.

In the US 5G is only very sparse coverage. And only in big cities.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestech ... o-be-done/

I do not buy phones from a network. Just a SIMS. Pay As You Go. I seldom spend £15 a year total on phones and charges. No monthly rental on cards or phones.

I then buy phones from anywhere I want like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doro-Unlocked- ... B09RG5KB6J
Thats a newer model than mine but looks pretty much the same. I got two so long ago that I cannot really remember. Must be a decade at least. The 2nd one is still new in box. The first one still going strong and its been seriously abused. I put a new battery in £9 on eBay a year ago. Because battery life dropped from a month or so to 3 weeks...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 21 Sep 2023, 22:12

In UK.
You can just get a SIM. You choose based on how much data, etc you want. Or unlimited. Most do 3 4 and 5G.
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile ... ou-go-sim/

Then buy any random phone... New used or whatever. Some are "locked" to a network. But unlocking them is trivial. So its a bit like building a PC. You decide what bits or cards or contracts work best for you. My town and most around the UK all now have 5G. But as soon as you get into a building or a dip in the road you revert to 4G. Not that you can tell the difference.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 26 Sep 2023, 01:51

slomobile wrote:
Burgerman wrote:The flip phones are cheap, disposable, but last years.

True. In the US most major carriers are now restricting their networks to a short list of approved compatible modern phones. That does not usually include flip phones unless you count the new folding screen phone as a flip phone. Very few flip phones are 5G. Existing flip phones subscribed to a current line of service keep working. But if it is taken off the network for any reason, you probably wont be able to add it back on. You certainly cannot use any flip phone that does not have GPS built in.

I had a battle a while back when 3G was going away... I get the 'free' "Reach Out America" (I think that's the name of the program) phone service because I'm on Mass. Health, and had a flip phone that used 3G (which replaced a flip-phone that used 2G) The company that provides my service (same as Tracphone) said they were replacing my phone, and sent me a zombie-phone that was (I think) pretty low end, running an Android version that was already at least a couple of major versions behind... (I'm pretty sure it was 4G only as well)

I called and complained about it, and said I didn't want anything to do w/ a zombie phone and it's :ak47 'poke & pray' :fencing interface... I demanded a flip-phone.... They claimed it wasn't possible... I then filed a formal complaint with the Mass. State Telecom Commission (Every state has one BTW - don't know about other countries) Low & Behold, a couple of weeks later I got an Alcatel Flip phone running the KaiOS operating system... I'm still using it... I don't like the OS as much as I did the older phone, but it is livable.

I'd also say that if it has a GPS, it doesn't make it obvious - there is no function on the phone for it...

It's always fun when someone is trying to push their 'app' at you and you pull it out and suggest that it might not work?

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 26 Sep 2023, 07:02

Thats very weird.
Here you CAN use a contract that allows you to buy a phone and a network on a monthly basis.
But you can just get any networks SIM only deals. No phone involved at all. They would probably love to tie you to their phones and networks but we have laws that dont allow this to encourage competition between betworks and phone sellers etc.

Now the stupid people buy a contract where you pay monthly and are on a 12 to 24 month contract. And it includes a phone. And like anything you buy on a loan isnt cheap... Then when the contract is over they keep on paying the same monthly direct debit amount as they dont notice that too...
The phone companies like this as they both sell you a phone and get extra money for a year or so before people notice the contracted 12 month or whatever ended.

But sensible people use a pay as you go card. Theres hundreds of different prices, schemes, speeds, bandwidths, companies. Then they use any phone they want that they buy cheap, look after them and use for years.

In my case I bought 2 flip phones for 39 uk pounds. About 8 years ago. And use non contract a pay as you go card. I make few calls. As I hate phones but get a lot of incoming. SMS is free. So I pay around £15 a year for my phone use total. Instead of a mortgage for a big useless short battery fragile overpriced "smart" phone...

The young are the worst. They Expect that this contract thing is normal "because everyone does it"... Then complain they cant save for a deposit for a house while bouncing the latest iPhone 56 marketing mans miracle dream off the street.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 24 Oct 2023, 04:27

I agree, and there are a lot of 'by the month' phone deals in the US as well, though it is still really hard to find one that offers a flip-phone... I used to use one of those plans before I got hurt, and it worked well for me....

However because I'm on Medicare & Mass. Health I was told I qualify for this free phone deal... I figure given the choice between "Free" and pay....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair