Quantum R-TRAK

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Quantum R-TRAK

Postby Flagmax » 03 Oct 2023, 06:29

So I just had my appointment with my ATP to order a new Invacare Aviva RX2.0 with tilt/lift/recline. During my visit he mentioned another rear wheel drive chair hit the market in USA, the Quantum R-TRAK.

Anyone get one or have opinions about it? It seem a well thought out design it should be much better ride with true suspension and its 7mph standard with Range up to 16.34 miles (26.3 km) with Group 24 batteries. While Aviva RX2.0 with standard 5.8mph motors get up to 19.7 miles and with Performance 7.5 mph motors get up to 12.4 miles range. The R-Trak use Q-logic 3 and Aviva uses Linx electronics.

Which would you get and why?

- Standard Specs
Class of Use B (Group 3)
Weight Capacity 300 lbs. (136 kg/21 stone 6 lbs.)
Maximum Speed1 Up to 7 mph (11 km/h)
Up to 3.5 mph (5.6 km/h) with 10-in. lift
Ground Clearance2 3.97 in. (101 mm) at battery tray
Turning Radius2 25.7 in. (653 mm)
Overall Size2, 6 Stowage Length: 34.8 in (884 mm) without front riggings
Length: 44.5 in. (1130 mm) with front riggings
Width: 24.2 in. (616 mm)
Drive Wheels 14 in. (356 mm), solid or pneumatic
Caster Wheels 9 in. (229 mm), solid
Anti-tip Wheels 4 in. (102 mm), flat free
Range1, 4 Up to 16.34 miles (26.3 km) with Group 24 batteries
Component Weights5 Base: 128 lbs. (58 kg)
Batteries: Group 24: 51.5 lbs. (23.36 kg) each (standard)
Drivetrain Two motor, rear-wheel drive
Brakes Electronic regenerative, disc park brake
Batteries3 Two 12 volt, Flat top deep-cycle
Group 24: C20 75 Ah, C5 62 Ah
Battery Charger 8 amp, off-board
Freewheel Operational Force Less than 60 N
Drive Control Operational Force Less than 5 N
Maximum Rated Slope 7.5° (13.2%)
Maximum Obstacle Climbing Ability
(Ascending and Descending)
2.36 in. (60 mm)
Measured Sound Level (A-weighted) Less than 65 dB

https://www.quantumrehab.com/quantum-po ... r-trak.asp

https://youtu.be/7nXcTawiDMs?si=6HTStKFVDW396syK
Flagmax

Re: Quantum R-TRAK

Postby Flagmax » 03 Oct 2023, 07:53

So I just realized R-TRAK is basically their 4Front and after watching the nightmare this guy went through I am not sure I want to touch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKOTgqpRxT0
Flagmax

Postby Burgerman » 03 Oct 2023, 10:25

A lot of peoples opinion of prides stuff backs this up. I never had one.

Other than this...

I would get either of the chairs. And throw away the controllers and fit R-Net 120A and all the rest.

I would be more inclined to avoid the pride one.

But his biggest problem in the vid was its control system. On top of this to me OEM access for real programming is essential. Ruling out both the curtis built Q-Logic3 and the Linx systems by dynamic. So unless I was going to junk the control systems and fit R-Net (which to me is quite a trivial and cheap thing to do) I wouldnt choose either.

But if you live in the continental USA you have few rear drive options. And this includes permobil mid/front drives too. As those have similar programming and reliability issues. So I would be stuck. Unless prepared to do some extra work after getting the chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 03 Oct 2023, 10:28

I just read that and it probably doesent help any. But thats my opinion. Dont shoot the messenger.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 03 Oct 2023, 13:57

I would prefer a lightweight, four-wheeled, rear-wheel-drive powerchair.
martin007

Postby daveonwheels » 03 Oct 2023, 15:46

stay away from quantum chairs
daveonwheels

Postby Fusiongoat » 03 Oct 2023, 23:20

Flagmax wrote:So I just had my appointment with my ATP to order a new Invacare Aviva RX2.0 with tilt/lift/recline. During my visit he mentioned another rear wheel drive chair hit the market in USA, the Quantum R-TRAK.

Anyone get one or have opinions about it? It seem a well thought out design it should be much better ride with true suspension and its 7mph standard with Range up to 16.34 miles (26.3 km) with Group 24 batteries. While Aviva RX2.0 with standard 5.8mph motors get up to 19.7 miles and with Performance 7.5 mph motors get up to 12.4 miles range. The R-Trak use Q-logic 3 and Aviva uses Linx electronics.

Which would you get and why?

- Standard Specs
Class of Use B (Group 3)
Weight Capacity 300 lbs. (136 kg/21 stone 6 lbs.)
Maximum Speed1 Up to 7 mph (11 km/h)
Up to 3.5 mph (5.6 km/h) with 10-in. lift
Ground Clearance2 3.97 in. (101 mm) at battery tray
Turning Radius2 25.7 in. (653 mm)
Overall Size2, 6 Stowage Length: 34.8 in (884 mm) without front riggings
Length: 44.5 in. (1130 mm) with front riggings
Width: 24.2 in. (616 mm)
Drive Wheels 14 in. (356 mm), solid or pneumatic
Caster Wheels 9 in. (229 mm), solid
Anti-tip Wheels 4 in. (102 mm), flat free
Range1, 4 Up to 16.34 miles (26.3 km) with Group 24 batteries
Component Weights5 Base: 128 lbs. (58 kg)
Batteries: Group 24: 51.5 lbs. (23.36 kg) each (standard)
Drivetrain Two motor, rear-wheel drive
Brakes Electronic regenerative, disc park brake
Batteries3 Two 12 volt, Flat top deep-cycle
Group 24: C20 75 Ah, C5 62 Ah
Battery Charger 8 amp, off-board
Freewheel Operational Force Less than 60 N
Drive Control Operational Force Less than 5 N
Maximum Rated Slope 7.5° (13.2%)
Maximum Obstacle Climbing Ability
(Ascending and Descending)
2.36 in. (60 mm)
Measured Sound Level (A-weighted) Less than 65 dB

https://www.quantumrehab.com/quantum-po ... r-trak.asp

https://youtu.be/7nXcTawiDMs?si=6HTStKFVDW396syK

This topic reminds me of the following scene from The Princess Bride:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s0UURBihH8
Be sure to watch all the way to the end. That's how you'll find out which one of these chairs is better.
Also, allegedly what these chairs have in common is that they are cheap for your provider and you
should keep in mind that your provider gets paid the same no matter what the manufacturer charges the
provider. The same person who posted that Quantum video has a video on one of the Aviva chairs on his
alternate channel. You should watch that also. If you want to get a Group 3 RWD chair in the U.S. and you
don't want a hybrid chair then there are no good choices. Having said that if you don't weigh very much the
Aviva is okay as long as you realize that you won't be able to program it and if there's anything wrong with it
you won't be able to figure it out because you won't have access to the same kind of information that you
can get from R-Net. The Frontier V4 RWD would be a much better choice but it is not a Group 3 chair. If
you have private insurance they might pay for it because it is not coded at all so they will have to manually
review it. Medicare though will just auto deny. Medicare advantage might consider it.The Amy R3 is fine if you
liked the old Quickie S-636 but the Amy is a hybrid.
Fusiongoat

Postby nld3 » 07 Oct 2023, 03:57

Since they discontinued the hybrid Chair from Quickie. I have to choose between another Amy system hybrid or an Invacare and now this Quantum to choose from. since I own a Amy Hybrid and really hate it's jerky motion left and right forward and back. I guess I'll have to demo the Quantum and Invacare chairs.
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 07 Oct 2023, 06:44

since I own a Amy Hybrid and really hate it's jerky motion left and right forward and back.

The way a chair responds is 100% purely down to its programming.
Every chair can be programmed to drive properly.
No stock chair drives properly as its delivered.
All chairs once programmed to remove all the turn acceleration delays etc and configured to accelerate and decelerate correctly and the motor compensation corrected and fine tuned drive ***exactly*** the same as each other. Properly!

This requires a little knowledge and an OEM programmer. Your dealer cant and wornt do this But you can.
Provided that you have an OEM level programmer or at least the software.

This has now been tied down to restrict our access in every MODERN chair in one way or another. Unless it is R-Net. So as long as you look at R-Net as your control system then you can configure it any way you please. Amy use R-Net. The pride and invacare dont and no OEM level programmer is available. So those chairs are doomed to be pretty much uncontrollable permanantly.

Its not for nothing I bought 3 extra full R-Net control systems and stuck them on my shelf...
Because of this testing chairs by sitting in them and driving around will not tell you anyhing useful.

Personally I would never buy another chair unless it was R-net. And most of the rest doesent matter. Because I have a oem programming access Without this all chairs are rendered useless to me. Unortunately this is how it now is.

So if I were you I would properly configure your R-net controlled Amy chair so it drives properly. Once you have it is not a small change! You will then understand just how terrible every chair you ever had really was. Then reconsider your chairs choices.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nld3 » 26 Mar 2024, 23:06

I just demoed the new Quantum Rear wheel drive R Trak chair and surprisingly its a pretty good chair. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Their old Rival Rear Wheel chair was horrible.
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 27 Mar 2024, 00:49

Heres the problem.
The ONLY reason different chairs "feel" different when it comes down to it is the way they are configured, the relationship between all the seating points, seat dump angle, footrest position and things like arm length, position, controller positioning, programming etc. Theres maybe 1 to 2 days work needed to configure any chair PROPERLY and when its all done its almost impossible to say which chair you are driving.

I have many chairs here. All of them are CONFIGURED with the exact same CG position, seating positioningand angles etc and all are programmed in ecactly the same way. If you were to blindfold me I would be extremely hard pushed to tell you which make/chair I am actually using. Apart from the fact that I would keep crashing! :clap

What I am saying is that if you test drive 10 rear drive chairs from different brands then the only thing you are really comparing is how THAT chair you are in is configured. As such I gave up doing testing for new chairs long ago. I can look at the specs, look at the design, and KNOW that once it is configured the same exact way as the rest of my chairs it will feel 99% the same. Along with any other chair.

So I dont see the point. All you really detect is that nothing is configured correctly so it feels "different"... Change a few things. Say, set the dump angle differently set the joystick in the wrong place and all my chairs will feel terrible! So I wouldnt "choose" them.

So whatever chair you get make sure it comes with a man that can FULLY configure it for your preferences and that will take around a day. Depending on what needs doing that may take a lot longer and need a few small parts or modification.

For one thing, both the chairs you are looking at use what amounts to unprogrammable control systems. The Pride Q logic 3 and the new LiNX systems are both locked down and only the manufacturer (not the chair tech) has OEM access and so no way to properly set that up. You get whatever they decided you should have. I would in the case of both these chairs swap those systems out for R-Net.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nld3 » 27 Mar 2024, 18:40

My major issue is fitting in the mini van so that I can drive under the steering wheel. When I wasn't able to get an Inavcare Storm chair because of weight limitations And the fact they were only offering older models. I had to choose the Amy Systems Hybrid Chair. The Rival was a beast and would not fit in my van properly. And I did not like the way mid wheel Permo's drive or fit in my van aswell.
nld3

Return to Everything Powerchair