Beeper system for wheelchairs?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Beeper system for wheelchairs?

Postby slomobile » 27 Nov 2023, 23:16

That was helpful. The knob idea is not suitable for your abilities. The motion sensor is out.

I understand you want to use your own soft switch and it is designed for that. it's not important that you understand the code, I just wanted it available to you in case you did understand it, or had a local friend that might know about Arduino. Or I suppose, so anyone else that wants one can get one made.
I've never seen or used the automotive beep system in person, only watched a single video where it was described and the video was not clear how the sequence of beeps gets started. Looks like it is by pressing the same switch.

I think the only technical questions I still need answered are the nature of the door opening system, and the mouse.

How do you ordinarily open the door? With a key fob remote transmitter?
If so, we would need to obtain a 2nd transmitter which could also be programmed to open the door. Then interface with it.
Need to know if there is one button for open and a different button for close, or if both operations are handled by a single button.

You want mouse buttons, but not mouse directional control. Those things are usually one device. What is currently providing mouse direction control? your wheelchair joystick? Name the type if you know it. Perhaps Omni 2?

Is the computer mounted on your wheelchair(wired mouse) or laptop always with you(wired or wireless mouse)? 2 mouse beeps early in the sequence.
If it is a desktop computer left at home when you go out, 2 mouse beeps late in the sequence, wireless only.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 28 Nov 2023, 01:03

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ADI8421 » 28 Nov 2023, 02:03

The implementation is quite simple for something as you describe. The biggest problem is how you interface this one button piece of gear to the
controlled functions unit. You have not explained the functions requirement.
ADI8421

Postby Burgerman » 28 Nov 2023, 10:38

It will need to work 12 or 24v seating actuators. And heres where it gets problematic. The stock seaing actuator module that you will not be using is set up with the correct voltage, acceleration and speed optons which can be different for each. And an endstop detect that watches for sudden current rise spikes and cuts power after 50ms. Or 100ms automatically. All programmable. And then theres also the actuator inhibits, and drive inhibits based on either microswitches or position sensors or mercury switches. And these all may intereact between channels. For e.g recline may not operate in one direction when seat is tilted. Or wheelchair speed is reduced when lift or tilt is used. In multiple positions or stages.

So unless you can find a way to integrate all this into the r-net bus system, which means letting the complex system that already exists and existing actuators/inhibits/programming do their thing. Or making a system that does this from scratch. I dont see either of those options as a practical proposition without a lot of development time and a lab/chair to work on.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 28 Nov 2023, 17:20

Re: Output devices
If you look at the small set of output functions that OP requested, I think that every one of them can probably be implemented with relay contact closure. Potentially, the mouse button functions will need to be Bluetooth if the computer is not able to be wired to the button device. The door controller may be easier to interface with a generic radio module controlled by the Arduino. But worst case, we could just wire relay contacts to close the button traces on an actual key fob.
The Rnet mode function is just a switch closure plugged into the 1/8" port on the joystick.

There are relay boards that are Bluetooth devices at their input.
https://usa.shelly.cloud/ul-certified-relays/
That means the entire button device mounted to the wheelchair could be simply the user switch and a small box containing Arduino Nano, HC-05 bluetooth module, and an 1/8" mono jack. https://www.instructables.com/Arduino-B ... Any-HC-05/

The Shelly relays could be mounted anywhere within range of the HC-05

Wireless multi relay board options instead of Shelly https://ncd.io/wireless-relays/

Depending on the particular door opening mechanism this transceiver module could be used instead of an actual key fob https://www.adafruit.com/product/3071
Or Shelly relays could replace the entire OEM RF solution.

Adjustable timed relays in case timing needs to be adjusted on site without programming. https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Controller- ... B07DFT2WDS

Of course open collector, or driver outputs are also possible. They have advantages being smaller, quicker, quieter, and lower power than relays. But they aren't as versatile, documented, and easily understood by laymen as relays are.

After looking at Shelly UL listed modules and industrial controls, the Arduino Nano and HC-05 is looking very amateurish. Maybe one of the industrial quality Arduinos are more suitable. Something like https://www.rugged-circuits.com which has 24v I/O and up to 30v Vin
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 28 Nov 2023, 21:59

My bad. I was thinking he wanted to operate chair functions. :clap I should read whats written.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Smark67 » 28 Dec 2023, 19:55

slomobile wrote:That was helpful. The knob idea is not suitable for your abilities. The motion sensor is out.

I understand you want to use your own soft switch and it is designed for that. it's not important that you understand the code, I just wanted it available to you in case you did understand it, or had a local friend that might know about Arduino. Or I suppose, so anyone else that wants one can get one made.
I've never seen or used the automotive beep system in person, only watched a single video where it was described and the video was not clear how the sequence of beeps gets started. Looks like it is by pressing the same switch.

I think the only technical questions I still need answered are the nature of the door opening system, and the mouse.

How do you ordinarily open the door? With a key fob remote transmitter?
If so, we would need to obtain a 2nd transmitter which could also be programmed to open the door. Then interface with it.
Need to know if there is one button for open and a different button for close, or if both operations are handled by a single button.

You want mouse buttons, but not mouse directional control. Those things are usually one device. What is currently providing mouse direction control? your wheelchair joystick? Name the type if you know it. Perhaps Omni 2?

Is the computer mounted on your wheelchair(wired mouse) or laptop always with you(wired or wireless mouse)? 2 mouse beeps early in the sequence.
If it is a desktop computer left at home when you go out, 2 mouse beeps late in the sequence, wireless only.

Hi again,

Firstly apologies for my delayed response, but I didn't receive any further notifications of replies.

In answer to your questions:

- I normally open the door with a key fob transmitter yes, which has had a softer touch remote mini button attached to it. Only one button to open and then it closes on a timer.

- Yes, mouse directional control is currently via my Omni 2 joystick. I have separate Bluetooth modules to control mouse left and right buttons but haven't successfully set those up yet, again really relating to space for too many buttons. If possible to use beep 1 four left mouse click and beep 2 for right mouse click, I think that would work. The computers on a desk however, not attached to my chair.

Again apologies for the delayed response.

Thanks,

Mark
Smark67

Postby slomobile » 28 Dec 2023, 22:33

Ok, that narrows it down.

You could have someone connect the door output relay from the beeper to the place where the soft touch button currently connects to the fob. Then wire that same soft button to the beeper input instead.

Could you provide any information you have on the mouse click bluetooth modules please. Sounds like that may be the trickiest part, but it all sounds possible.

You can have the functions come in any order you like and add new functions yourself by just modifying a little bit of code at the beginning of the program. It is explained a little in the code comments, but I can work toward making it simpler after it is proven to work. I might be able to make a computer or phone app to reconfigure the beeper system. Do you have a preferred platform?
slomobile

Postby Smark67 » 29 Dec 2023, 14:41

slomobile wrote:Ok, that narrows it down.

You could have someone connect the door output relay from the beeper to the place where the soft touch button currently connects to the fob. Then wire that same soft button to the beeper input instead.

Could you provide any information you have on the mouse click bluetooth modules please. Sounds like that may be the trickiest part, but it all sounds possible.

You can have the functions come in any order you like and add new functions yourself by just modifying a little bit of code at the beginning of the program. It is explained a little in the code comments, but I can work toward making it simpler after it is proven to work. I might be able to make a computer or phone app to reconfigure the beeper system. Do you have a preferred platform?

Hi again,

These are the Bluetooth modules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEm3tMWizVE

I have two modules, D51111 and D51523. Hope this helps.

With regards platforms I use android devices and Windows PC.

Thanks,

Mark
Smark67

Postby Burgerman » 29 Dec 2023, 15:56

Those things are normally programed as part of the r-net system. Seperate secions for windows or i-devices. (the latter of which is shown below).
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 11 Mar 2024, 03:22

I've never used those modules and can't find much info on them. But the Rnet page BM showed has External switch 1 and 2 ; and short, medium, long for each. That is up to 6 signals we can send into each module.
If anyone can tell me the duration of pulse defined to be short, medium, and long then I can add that to the program for the Arduino to output valid pulses to trigger the mouse modules.
slomobile

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair