Permobil M3 Project Chair Joystick Plugs?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Permobil M3 Project Chair Joystick Plugs?

Postby F3Head » 23 Nov 2023, 20:12

Hello, quick questions for those more experienced. I'm still just getting started on my Permobil M3. Take a look at the joystick. Where the switches should be all I see is copper PCB? Missing the blue switches? Are the switches for chairs with additional options? Or is my chair missing those for blue plugs/switches? You can see the copper and is open to the elements. I don't know if the standard joystick looks similar. I'm sure I could put a cell phone screen cover to cover it.
Why would this part be missing? Or is it normal?

Please advise,F3HEAD
Your  Permobil M3 Joystick No-Plugs Screenshot 2023-11-23 140050.png
Permobil M3 joystick
F3Head

Re: Permobil M3 Project Chair Joystick Plugs?

Postby Burgerman » 23 Nov 2023, 20:22

Thats a permobil joystick, not R-Net. But the rubber buttons are missing. You need those to get to the internal setup of the joystick for e.g. And for lights etc. They dont come that way. Someone pulled them out by the look of things. Rover might have a new joystick?

You can replace that joystick with a better CJSM2 on here, ebay etc at times if you keep your eyes peeled. And sharp. They go fast, sometimes minutes if the price is good and condition good.

I got 3 brand new ones for £125, £150, £150 delivered. Took a year of "fishing" though. 1 EBAY, 1 Tom (on here), 1 came from I dont remember now? Elryco was selling dozenz too. All were unused. Still with original screen protectors fitted and unmarked/dust free.

These 2 below are expressos in new york. R-Net on the left and like mine looks new with screen protector still on it. It has a bigger brighter screen (auto brightness), and the 2 extra buttons. Permobil is on the right. Its a sort of cut down cheaper one made under licence for permobil only. Called a PJSM. They are interchangable as far as I know. Expresso put a permobil one onto his quickie R-net chair. And other than the missing buttons it works OK. I use the mode and profile buttons though!

The permobil ones are all BT enabled I think. The R-Net ones can be infra red only, or IR and BT depending on what you buy. If that bothers you any. Doesent me but who knows.
Attachments
IMG_20200930_194954_4.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F3Head » 23 Nov 2023, 20:42

Burgerman wrote:Thats a permobil joystick, not R-Net. But the rubber buttons are missing. You need those to get to the internal setup of the joystick for e.g. And for lights etc. They dont come that way. Rover might have one?

You can replace that joystick with a better CJSM2 on here, ebay etc if you keep your eyes peeled. And sharp. They go fast, sometimes minutes if the price is good and condition good.

I got 3 brand new ones for £125, £150, £150 delivered. Took a year of "fishing" though. 1 EBAY, 1 Tom on here, 1 came from I dont remember now? All were unused. Still with original screen protectors fitted and unmarked/dust free.

These 2 are expressos. R-Net on the left and like mine looks new with screen protector still on. It has a bigger brighter screen (auto brightness), and the 2 extra buttons. Permobil is on the right. Its a sort of cut down cheaper one made under licence. Called a PJSM. They are interchangable as far asI know. Expresso put a permobil one on his quickie R-net chair. And other than the missing buttons it works OK. I use the mode and profile buttons though!

Well thank you for the quick reply! Now I know why I couldn't find any other functions everybody was talking about. I'm puzzled as to why they would be missing. I would have to ship it to the states. I'll take another better look at the chair to determine whether it's worth it or not. I'm wondering if a mini cup switch would allow me to get into the functions menu? It plugs into the front of the joystick. I have two on my F3. One turns off and on the joystick and I have no idea what the other one does. It looks like it goes under the back cover somewhere. I have a second mini button switch that operates the seat lift.

Thanks F3
F3Head

Postby Burgerman » 23 Nov 2023, 21:30

They are around. Heres one in funny canadian money https://www.ebay.com/itm/355021494325
But the price is a bit more than I would want to pay. New.

And a cheap permobil one, also new, https://www.ebay.com/itm/266515683269 145 dollars.

And another at dreamworld prices https://www.ebay.com/itm/385972846486

Offer 199, thats how I get stuff cheap... 90% say no. The odd one doesent!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314890448386
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F3Head » 24 Nov 2023, 20:45

I'm guessing both of these joystick models are plug-and-play? i.e. if I buy one on eBay I should be able to just plug it in and go?
I don't need the dealer dongle to do anything ? I don't want to buy something to get stuck with a lead weight that I can't plug-and-play use.
What year or part number should I be looking for? Anything in particular? I guess these things are pretty durable? A used older model joystick would be ok?

It's weird because the chair fully functions. It moves just fine them all the seat functions work.

Thanks, F3HEAD
F3Head

Postby Burgerman » 24 Nov 2023, 20:50

I'm guessing both of these joystick models are plug-and-play? i.e. if I buy one on eBay I should be able to just plug it in and go?

I can garantee that with all r-net.

I would expect that to be the case with permobil ones but cannot garantee it. You may need a programmer. Permobil like to make it difficult. But I dont think there would be any issue. Rover would likely know for sure.

You dont have any dongle/programming capability?
The idea of a chair I cant program to drive and steer properly fills me with fear!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F3Head » 24 Nov 2023, 23:00

No I do not have access to a programmer unfortunately. By the way are the joystick profiles saved in the joystick or in the control module underneath the chair?
Would I be stuck with the programming that was on the joystick that I purchased on eBay or wherever?
R-Net & promote joysticks plug-and-play. If I buy one and plug it in it should work correct? Even if it has preconfigured setting that were on the joystick?
How can I determine how old the joystick might be if I purchase it online? By part number?

Because of the forum here and your hard work, I was able to avoid the steering problems with my F3. I made sure my DME used his computer programmer and dial
in my Permobil F3 before he left.

I'm still happy with it overall. F3HEAD
F3Head

Postby Burgerman » 25 Nov 2023, 00:14

Its in the power module.
At least on a normal r-net system some of the joystick specific things live in the actual menu on the joystick. The rest is in the programming in the power module. In the case of programmable buttons (2 missing on permobil units) and I am not sure what happens. Probably just get ignored. Those buttons can each be programmed to do many things. And in fact several different things per button with a long or short press. One of the more important options is the joystick settings on a long press of the top left button. On your other chair press that, and take a look.

For what its worth your tech cant make it steer properly with his dealer programmer. And permobil techs generally only have that. So he made some changes, but likely not done properly. So how much better it actually is compared to what it could be I cant say.

Whatever it does now, it will be the same with a new joystick. But the new one hasnt been programmed in any way has it? Hopefully it drives OK. If I were you I would aquire a dealer dongle. They can be used as OEM with a small workaround. Your choice obviously. But I cant imagine not having a programmer! Is kind of essential even if only used on odd occasions. All my chairs would be useless. A thing to get in the future maybe. Bit like buying a car with no engine. Or PC with no mouse. Or a pizza with no anchovis... Maybe not that last one.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 25 Nov 2023, 04:42

F3Head wrote:No I do not have access to a programmer unfortunately. F3HEAD

Find a cheap , broken joystick for parts. Take that 4 rubber buttons and you need no re-programming .

shirley_hkg

Postby expresso » 25 Nov 2023, 16:54

i have put an permobil JS on my sunrise chair - i didnt need to program anything - JS worked as is - this was a Quickie chair 646 with Rnet system

i had an spare permobil JS - i just unplugged old JS - and plugged in the Permobil - that was all .

this is not a permobil chair - if that matters -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Return to Everything Powerchair