Battery Bank comparison

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Battery Bank comparison

Postby hotwheels_75 » 04 Dec 2023, 03:25

Just curious how something like an Anker Solix F2000 would compare capacity wise to my 96ah 24v lifepo pack? Is it accurate that wattage is ah x voltage? So my pack would be 2300w? I know it’s probably not exactly comparable. But just ballpark and opinions?
https://www.anker.com/ca/products/a1780 ... viMenu_pps
hotwheels_75

Re: Battery Bank comparison

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2023, 04:07

Yes. Except that the correct figure for a 90Ah lifepo4 would be 90Ah x 25.6V.
Fit an inverter to your chair and you have exactly the same thing.

Longest-Lasting 10-Year Lifespan with Anker's Proprietary InfiniPower™ Technology.

Marketing speak. LiFePO4 cells are easily good enogh for 10 years use. Unless they have BMS issues, uneven self discharge etc.

Rapid Recharge from 0 to 80% in 1 Hour via HyperFlash Technology.

Marketing speak. That means you can charge it at 1C. Thats quite low. And would need a powerful charger. You would need to charge at 90A and that means a lot more han you can get from a wall.

Power Up to 10 Devices At Once with 2300W and 10 Ports.

Means it has an AC inverter, that can drive up to 2300 watts worth maximum. Thats usually enough. Wont run say my 3KW fan heater or anything that adds up to 2300w or more.

It appears to have a 2048 Watt hour battery. We dont know if thats at 12, 24, 36, 48V or whatever. But it doesent make any difference which is why they use watt hours rather than Ah. 2048 watt is the battery total stored energy measurement.

So if that was say a 25.6V 8S LiFePo4 battery pack it would be an 80Ah battery. How do I know? Because 2048 watts divided by 25.6V = 80Ah.

Its a bit steep £££$$$ for a 2048 watt hour pack.
As an approximate comparison, the 230Ah packs that seem quite common around here at around 1k cost, are a massive 230 x 25.6 = 5,888 watt hours in comparison! Thats almost 3x bigger.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hotwheels_75 » 04 Dec 2023, 12:50

Appreciate the thorough breakdown of details!

My pack isn't even in the wheelchair anymore. Just been sitting on my floor taking up space for the past four years. I was considering one of the power banks for my elderly parents. Something more easy and plug-in play. They do seem expensive though. But I have also considered 24 V inverter for my pack. I'm trying to downsize all my clutter though so have also contemplated trying to sell it.
hotwheels_75

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2023, 13:41

Lots of things you can use it for.

Do you live where the power goes off?
You can get all sorts of fancy anti islanding auto kick in inverters etc. So that it charges off the AC and only gets used if the power goes off. Or gets ued in preference if you pay more at the busy times of day. So use it to keep the lights on at expensive times and charge at the cheapest times. Automatically.

Or just use it as a portable power pack, with AC inverter. And while tht can be 3kw, 240, 120, AC it can have basic USB bricks, and 12, 24, outputs as and when its required.

It would require a bit of effort and some small money to make a neat suitcase style supply. And a little knowledge.

Or a couple of addon packs for wheelchair long days out.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hotwheels_75 » 14 Dec 2023, 21:06

The power used to go off a lot, but only a few times a year now. What would I look for for an automatic kick in inverter? We do have time of day rates, nearly half price in winter at night.

Don’t need range extend packs, I hardly leave my house or my van anymore. But might be cool to power some things. Would be nice to be able to power the fridge and freezer during outages rather than noisy smelly generator .
hotwheels_75

Postby Burgerman » 14 Dec 2023, 21:25

Well unless you plan on spending a bit of money forget the auto kick in options.

You can just use battery + ac inverter for power.

I have done this, but dont recommend it! And its not legal.

I made a cable that goes from the battery, to the inverter. And from the AC out to a normal household plug. So if you start the generator or the inverter AC output and TOUCH the prongs you will potentially die...

So first, when theres a power cut, TURN OFF THE MAINS INTO THE HOUSE.
second plug your new dangerous plug into the wall.
Third connect the inverter to the battery.
Now your whole house has AC again.
If you turn on anything that takes more watts than the inverter or generator can give the thing will switch off, and the power will stop or the generator may be damaged.
If the power comes back on, DO NOT SWITCH THE MAIN POWER TO THE HOUSE ON!
Firse pull the dangerous plug (turn off the inverter or generator first)

That allows all your lights, wheelchair chargers, fridge, central heating (if its gas) or computers /TVs to work.
It probably wont like heaters, water heaters, dryers, wshing machines or electric hobs and ovens.

Remember that you cannot have 2 different AC systems running your house at once. If you try there will be an almighty bang somewhere and smoke! It might blow the main fuse, your inverter, the wiring, a generator etc. And while the power is OFF and you are running your AC inverter the house is fine. If you dont DISCONNECT it from the AC input from the utility company you will backfeed some transformers and fry a line worker with many thousands of volts... So be sure you understand this!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hotwheels_75 » 15 Dec 2023, 00:18

That’s beyond anything I would attempt. Not my house and I’m not capable of doing any of it myself. Someone would definitely get fried lol
hotwheels_75

Postby Burgerman » 15 Dec 2023, 00:34

Sounds complicated. In reality its just a power cord with a male plug on each end. And the house isolation switch. And understanding what not to do.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hotwheels_75 » 15 Dec 2023, 03:54

I understand what you're talking about and if I was in control of it I would consider it. But I can't trust other people to not forget to do all that in the correct order.
hotwheels_75

Postby Burgerman » 15 Dec 2023, 15:54

That wouldnt be good!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair