Welding

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Welding

Postby Burgerman » 22 Feb 2024, 10:57

I can gas weld (oxy-acetlene), electric stick weld, or mig. And could easiy learn to tig weld having had a go at that many years ago and found it quite easy on aluminium.

But I have not done any welding since becoming paralised and in a chair. So 25 years. For fear of burns, hot or melted metal bits landing on me etc. Because its not safe. I cant feel it happen or run away or reach my feet for e.g if a bit went in my shoe. And I wouldnt even know it was happening. So couldnt/wouldnt do the dane to get it off! Does anyone actually do this? Is there a practical or safe way?

Because of this I tend to design things in a way that doesent need welding. Which often works better or looks better anyway. Or take it to the college about 400 yards away and add some beer tokens to their tea fund... But its inconvenient sometimes.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Welding

Postby thamesmud » 22 Feb 2024, 13:18

I weld a bit on my projects.
I have a very long leather apron that runs from my chin to past my feet which keeps the spatter away.
The biggest problem I find is getting the part in the best position to get access, that and the bloody spasms that always kick off at the wrong time. Not to much of a problem with wheelchair stuff because the parts are quite small.
My next project is a cyclekart, the chassis on this will be about 2m x .8m so that will need a bit of planning. I have a pump up table about 1.2m x .6 so I think I will be putting a piece of 25mm mdf on the top as a build table. The chassis wont be too heavy so my trusty Molift crane should be able to pick it up and turn it over.
thamesmud

Postby AgGuy » 22 Feb 2024, 15:52

I do lots of mig welding, plasma cutting, grinding, etc. I wear a long leather apron and leather work boots. Red hot bits and sparks don't ever cause a problem. Since I always use my lap as a shelf, I learned the hard way not to do that while welding. Without thinking, I would lay a hot piece of steel on my lap. Later that evening I would see the results on my bare legs and think "Wow! I bet that hurts!". My last one was close to third degree. You just have to be vigilant and not do stupid stuff. I also keep fire extinguishers near by.
AgGuy

Postby Burgerman » 22 Feb 2024, 16:36

Thats what worries me. Long leather apron is enough to stop a white hit bit of meTal splatter from going through. Will have a look around for one. I did the very sore burn on my body that took 3 months to heal with a hot plate many years ago! I know how easy that is. :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby thamesmud » 22 Feb 2024, 17:00

Burgerman wrote:Thats what worries me. Long leather apron is enough to stop a white hit bit of meTal splatter from going through. Will have a look around for one. I did the very sore burn on my body that took 3 months to heal with a hot plate many years ago! I know how easy that is. :clap

Portwest do a good range of leather welding gear including aprons, boot covers , sleeves, and full jackets. https://theppeonlineshop.co.uk/Leather- ... n-Tan.html
thamesmud

Postby Burgerman » 22 Feb 2024, 17:03

Thanks! Will have a look.

Will always remember my freind welding a custom push bike frame started dancing and making noises. Then tipping his coffee into his shoe. 35 years ago. Still makes me laugh. We wouldnt know! Unless the smoke told us :lol:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 22 Feb 2024, 17:15

I have never been a soldier but I was going to recommend you an apron...
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 22 Feb 2024, 18:56

Soldier? :ak47

Confused!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Khreat » 23 Feb 2024, 18:01

When I started tig, I had nowhere else to practice other than my kitchen table with a sheet raised off the table. No Sparks unless the prep is bad and even then it's very minimal.
If you're able to properly clean and prep the material, I'd say tig is the way to go and make sure you clamp everything to the bench.
Aprons are good and sheild against a lot of heat. Allowed me to lean against 8mm I was putting long runs on.
Khreat

Postby martin007 » 23 Feb 2024, 18:44

Burgerman wrote:Soldier? :ak47

Confused!

Sorry!

Soldar --> welding
Soldado --> soldier
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 23 Feb 2024, 21:49

Solder (and yes you pronounce it soL der for the americans!) is not welding. Soldering is when you warm to metals and a low melting point metal runs and fuses onto the surface. Welding is where the two metals are joined with a similar metal, say a steel welding rod on steel parts. Brazing or silver soldering is where a brass or a silver/brass rod is used with or without flux to join say steel parts together. And its not welding unless you also melt the parts you are joining!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 23 Feb 2024, 21:56

In Italian, and I suspect in Spanish too, there is only one word for all 3 English terms solder, braze and weld - saldare & one distinguishes among them be adding a descriptor. English "solder" is "saldare a stagno".
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 23 Feb 2024, 21:59

Yes I realise its a translation thing! You should hear my spanish! Or maybe not... :lol:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 23 Feb 2024, 22:02

Soldado --> soldier https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier

In Spanish the term solder is used generically.
You can solder are autogenous, electrode, torch or soldering iron.
If you are going to solder using tin, it is also customary to use soft solder; you can also use the word tinning.
martin007

Postby ex-Gooserider » 27 Feb 2024, 04:40

I have and do on occaision MIG, oxy-fuel (mostly for cutting) plasma-cutting, and a tiny bit of TIG... MIG does NOT make a lot of splatter if you are doing it right (adjust settings for current and wire-speed, and keep the distance right), and is pretty easy. TIG is trickier because most TIG machines use a foot pedal which is a bit of a challenge for us banghead However there are some torch setups that allow a finger or thumb control instead. Some of the fancier machines also have setups that supposedly allow a 'scratch-start' like stick, and then 'auto-control' with some metals.

Leather aprons are good. I will also sometimes take a pair of leather chaps from my riding days and zip the legs together to make a cover to drape over my legs and feet. AVOID SYNTHETICS, wear wool or cotton clothes! It's worth noting that a lot of welding jackets and aprons are actually thick cotton w/ a flame resistant coating.... However to me the most important thing is to set up the work to avoid getting your feet in the way of splatter...

To me it is not something to be afraid of, just use caution....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby slomobile » 28 Feb 2024, 01:57

Disclaimer, I cannot stand while I weld, and cannot run away, but I could walk away slowly. I have maybe 10% sensation remaining, so feel fairly invulnerable but would know if I were on fire. You won't.

I TIG weld. Not often, but will be doing more again soon.
I don't worry about it throwing hot slag. It hardly ever does with this process if you clean the metal and have pure uncontaminated Argon. When it does toss some molten metal (dipping and sticking on DC) it won't burn for long. I just accept slag burn when it happens and don't even stop the bead.
The much worse problem is arc flash burn. I once stripped to my underwear just to finish a quick bit and protect my suit before going out to an event. I was fine that night. The next morning, the worst sunburn ever on every part of me. Don't do that.

I wear gauntlets, leather sleeves, auto darkening helmet with attached head/shoulder cover with an old CPAP serving as sort of a cooling respirator, and plywood to protect my chest and prone chair. I keep a long beard that alerts me something is wrong by the burning smell. Usually tucked in my shirt. Keep solarcaine burn gel (aloe and lidocaine) close at hand. Fast application helps a lot, don't wait.

I have a few silicone sheets that I drape over anything needing protection. One was a linemans high voltage protective mat, 2 others were designed to cover washing machine.

Where possible, I setup a linear bearing and stepper belt setup canibalized from a 3D printer to move the torch.

You can do a lot with slope settings and a 4T switch rather than a pedal. If that isn't enough you can make a dial amp control, ior slider. I think a proximity sensor might be made to work if needed.

I use high frequency start.which doesnt even require touching the workpiece. Or you can use lift start which doesnt turn on the current until after you touch the workpiece then lift off. Everlast Powertig 210EXT is what I use. Almost exclusively with aluminum. It is the only welder I ever owned.
slomobile

Postby charlie ford » 28 Feb 2024, 07:55

may sound odd but the best tip i found is drill vice on milk crates,the crates are light to move around and about 12'' high.
safety gear and good practises,but i end up leaning down and use elbows on knees to balance,lower job keeps sparks of my lap/chest/face.
keep the action low and you can get away.
charlie ford

Postby Burgerman » 28 Feb 2024, 13:12

I think I will give it a miss for now. No projects on the go at the moment. And it needs a lot of gear and commitment, for a 64 year old! But thanks for the advice.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 28 Feb 2024, 17:25

Instead of milk crates or sawhorses, I've been using a Werner platform recently and it works great. It has a handle in the middle so it is balanced and light enough to lift with one hand. One hand height adjustable with a smooth action. Holds 300lbs wobble free. several can be linked together end to end. Wheelchair lap fits underneath. I keep one in the van as a transfer bench/day bed. I suppose I could weld on it too, though I havent tried that yet.
https://www.wernerco.com/us/products/la ... -platforms
slomobile

Return to Everything Powerchair