it's not possible?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

it's not possible?

Postby Raro » 25 Feb 2024, 18:31

Does anyone know of a chair that measures no more than 23.6" wide by 40" long and that the distance from the base to the floor is a maximum of 16"?
I have a Chinese chair that meets those measurements but it is slow and lacks any electric function for the seat or legs.
Having something larger does not fit through the doors of my house and even if that were the case, when you go anywhere you find that the other places are not adapted, especially the tables.
When you look at the measurements on the manufacturer's pages, sometimes they match what I'm looking for, but when you add an option, everything changes and there are usually no chairs configured to try. ☹️
Raro

Re: it's not possible?

Postby martin007 » 25 Feb 2024, 18:38

Can you give me the measurements in cm?
With a booster seat?
Is the height of the seat or the armrests?
martin007

Postby Raro » 25 Feb 2024, 18:49

length 100cm width 60 distance from seat base to floor 40
Raro

Postby martin007 » 25 Feb 2024, 19:07

I think you're not going to find anything decent with those measures.
martin007

Postby Raro » 25 Feb 2024, 19:28

It is a chore because it limits you, I can continue with what I have but you sacrifice being able to have electric options or comfort outdoors.
Raro

Postby martin007 » 25 Feb 2024, 19:35

I'm aware of it.
The measures are a widespread problem.
If you are light you can try to look for a powerchair for teenagers.
martin007

Postby Raro » 25 Feb 2024, 19:45

I also look at some of those like the Quickie 300 series but it doesn't meet everything, 60 kilos or so...
Raro

Postby martin007 » 25 Feb 2024, 19:54

Total width: 54 cm
Total length: 101 cm (97 cm with central footrest)
Seat height: From 45 cm

Spanish > https://www.sunrisemedical.es/sillas-de ... ifications

English > https://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/q100r#specifications
martin007

Postby Raro » 25 Feb 2024, 20:04

I already told you that it almost meets the requirements, but the seat height...
Raro

Postby Raro » 25 Feb 2024, 20:09

In the end all manufacturers are limited by the size of the batteries, maybe if they used lithium...
Raro

Postby martin007 » 25 Feb 2024, 20:11

Ottobock Juvo B4 has a seat height of 41 cm.
I don't know its length.
martin007

Postby Raro » 25 Feb 2024, 20:36

According to what I have seen in a description, 106 centimeters, we could say that it complies, but it is surely without electrical options.
Raro

Postby biscuit » 25 Feb 2024, 22:20

My indoor chair is a Shoprider Vienna. They are no longer in production, I think, and they are a pig to drive outside. They are 90cm x52cm by 96cm seat height. The ground clearance figure isn't given in the specs. It is what I would call a granny chair. There are some other brands, probably similar.

Maybe the Pride Go or the Drive Titan.
biscuit

Postby biscuit » 25 Feb 2024, 22:33

These chairs do not have anything electric about their seats or footrests.
The next smallest chair I have tried is the salsa m2 mini and it is bigger than you want. And can't do the standard ramp angl.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 25 Feb 2024, 22:41

The problem with small chairs is that they are small! That means they are more effected by uneven footpaths etc as a small change that barely affects a bigger longer chair, makes a small one tilt or rock (pitch and roll) faster and further. And these are the very same chairs that generally have smaller, solid, narrower tyres. And little to no suspension. So making it all worse. Then they have smaller batteries, lower power controllers, and weedier motors so stall out easily and are harder to control.

Make your doors wider. Get a bigger outdoor capable full sized powerchair. Seat height is really determined by the length of your legs as much as anything. Or you run out of footrest/ground clearance on curbs and ramps. Unless you plan on getteing better and not needing a chair then a :hammer is a great investment!

25 years aco after an accident left me in a wheelchair I widened all the interior and exterior doors, made rooms bigger, and knocked down interior walls to give me S P A C E to move. Space to cook, to easily manoever. I go through all my doors at 6 or 7 mph even indoors all day long hundreds of times a week. Because in a chair its absolutely no good in a cramped small place. You will need to modify or move and then modify. Theres really no other option that makes any sense.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Raro » 26 Feb 2024, 12:06

You are absolutely right, I have other chairs for the outdoors and it is another world, far from improving everything will get worse, which is why I try not to do many transfers anymore, but for the sake of my caregivers, the problem inside the house is minor, you can expand the doors but expanding the elevator is not possible. As I mentioned, there are more than one public place where access with a "large" chair is impossible ☹️
Raro

Postby Burgerman » 26 Feb 2024, 12:50

But an awful lot where a decent outdoor chair will actually get you there with comfort and safety! Where a small indoor chair cant. I would suggest thats more common.

Actually I cant think of anywhere a small indoor chair will get me that a full rehab outdoor capable chair cant also go. And a great many where the opposite is true.

Remember that public buildings are all expecting big powerchairs. As are public transport, shops, and everywhere I can think of inc pubs, cinemas, parks resturants etc. With the possible exceptions of table heights. But thats more determined by your leg length and ground clearance rather than the chair. But they can also do curbs, ramps, long distances much better. So I am not very convinced!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Raro » 26 Feb 2024, 14:18

You are right in everything you say, however you would be surprised at the number of places that are not adapted here, it is more pronounced in the towns, regions which is where I live, in the city it changes but rather in large public places such as hospitals, centers commercials the rest although it is improving... the last time they sent me to the nearest health center I could barely enter through the office door it was to visit the dentist through the bathroom door it was not possible so sometimes not even with the little one .
Raro

Postby Burgerman » 26 Feb 2024, 14:23

Where is here?
Never mind, I remember. Spain.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rickystyx » 29 Feb 2024, 10:53

I suspect like myself you need two chairs if not 3 to do everything you want. My Chinese chair is great for shops and even in the house but not for going anywhere outside, but I goot it for shops, doctors and ferries, It is hopeless for going anywhere and too slow for going for a walk with my other half. My ottobock b400 is capable for most of the above but needs ramps to get it in and out of the car so is not ideal and since I fitted the wider wheels it won't go through some doors but it is great for nature reserves and places like that. My main outdoor chair for going places with rough tracks is the Meyra it is great for going places but impossible indoors because it wont turn like any of the others. So it is horses for courses. I did think of adding another battery pack to the Chinese chair but decided against it because it would take forever to go anywhere although it might get the 30ah lifepo4 add on pack just to make it safer instead of the current 12Ah firework it came with
ottobock b400 150Ah lifepo4
Swiss-trac manual chair add on with 30Ah Lifepo4 (want more 15Ah headway cells )
Meyra Optimus (PRIME)2 150Ah lifepo4 :0)
rickystyx

Postby Burgerman » 29 Feb 2024, 11:03

The problem is that he is right.

If its narrow and short then you are basically trying to get around outdoors on what is best described as an uncomfortable tall bar stool. With little battery, little speed, no suspension, tiny wheels. So hopelessely out of its depth for actually going anywhere. And not very stable. So the real answer if you have ONE chair is to adapt your house as I did so that a decent indoor outdoor chair can be used 24/7. Not really found anywhere significant hat a chair a few inches bigger cannot go out in the real world. Its just peoples non adapted houses.

For outdoors you really need a longer base. So it doesent "pitch" back and forth. And a wider base so that it doesent rock side to side. These both improve stability and comfort. As does suspension, bigger wheels more speed and pneumatic large cross section tyres. And enough torque to make curbs, ramps, and steep hills and such easy and comfortable. Also headrests, wide comfortable arms, all help. As do bigger batteries for range and stability. Then you likely wont need a car to get into a town or shopping anyway. If you do then again you need a disabled adapted vehicle. Preferably a drive from wheelchair one. Being disabled isnt cheap if you wish to organise yourself properly. It can be if you want to restrict your life and freedoms.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Raro » 29 Feb 2024, 12:46

rickystyx represents my situation or at least I think it is the same, I also have chairs for outdoors and the Chinese one for indoors or for places where I know I can't go with a normal chair but I was trying to look for an all-in-one so I don't have to change one to another The places I have to go are not all adapted, it is not just my house, the nearest average populated center is 8km away, about 5 miles, but the road is impassable for riding and the nearest city is 50km away, about 30 miles. You need a car for everything.
Raro

Postby Burgerman » 29 Feb 2024, 15:07

I also need a car. Cant get my planes to te airfeild or grab a months shopping or a propane cylinder on the bus!

I just imported one from the US cheap 17 years ago that could let my normal full sized chair get into and out of.

I roll straight to the steering wheel. Then turn the key... Called a "drive from wheelchair" van.
Attachments
chrysler-minivan-rollx-medium.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 29 Feb 2024, 15:31

the nearest average populated center is 8km away, about 5 miles, but the road is impassable for riding and the nearest city is 50km away, about 30 miles. You need a car for everything.

Would it be passable with a faster proper powerchair? If not then its not really a road or track? And with a lithium battery in place of the terrible lead bricks 80 miles or 130km a day is quite doable with battery to spare... So as long as you have the time!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Raro » 29 Feb 2024, 17:08

Burgerman wrote:
Would it be passable with a faster proper powerchair? If not then its not really a road or track? And with a lithium battery in place of the terrible lead bricks 80 miles or 130km a day is quite doable with battery to spare... So as long as you have the time!

It is a road and you can go on it but there are no shoulders, many curves and no visibility in many places, there is also a lot of traffic, it is a place where it rains a lot and I can't resist the cold at all.

Before I could drive, today it is not possible,
Raro

Return to Everything Powerchair