Sunrise Rep

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Sunrise Rep

Postby Burgerman » 15 Mar 2024, 22:28

Recently had the commercial sunrise rep here at my house. He looked at a couple of my older lithium powrchairs using the nice safe lifepo4 headway cells. Those are long superceeded. I explained that with a 230Ah more modern pack soon to go into my salsa (parked next to my bed) that I would have some 5x the range (100 miles with some reserve approx) and that the batteries he just saw in my other chairs were 15 years old. And still had as new capacity! I explained that lead bricks just do not have enough stored power for a 20 stone user, and a 185KG chair. And that they die in 9 months and run out of power halfway through a typical summer day...

I then asked why THEY dont do something similar. And he said because they were too dangerous! He wasnt aware of LiFePO4 or why that was any different to the firework cells they use in the following products... I know he is a rep. And not designing chairs but 15 years after people like me or shirley were lithium powered, he was still unaware of the differences or probably the existence of safe, very high cycle life high capacity lithium ion phoshate cells. I also explained why I cant afford lead when he mentioned cost.

https://www.sunrisedice.com/asset-bank/ ... /94168.pdf

All the chairs and addons here use those lithium ion firework cells with a BMS... I know a lot about batteries. Been working with, selling, and advising charger manufacurers for more years than I can remember. They are a significant danger. In my laptop the battery is the same lithium ion type. But theres been a bunch of those burst into flames and been recalled. Same with phones and other things. But those are all smaller packs, and I can throw a laptop away if it bursts into flames. I cant get off a powerchair! And the fire risk is real. I wouldnt have any of those things in my house.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Sunrise Rep

Postby martin007 » 15 Mar 2024, 22:35

The lack of real competition means that the product does not evolve...
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 15 Mar 2024, 22:37

True.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 16 Mar 2024, 16:13

Who was it?
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 16 Mar 2024, 16:18

I dont want to be rude to him but I forgot his name. He was there as backup/support for the WCS woman. I think she was a bit worried about assessing me. Quite rightly if you ask me. I also showed him how flimsy the seating is on their new Q chairs, and how stupid the close together casters are that prevent the seat being moved back, and told him why the hinge on the rear axle was terrible. He looked at what I did to it to try and make it work. I also showed him the way better modified salsa. That they discontinued. banghead
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scragger7 » 17 Mar 2024, 15:44

Burgerman wrote:. I also showed him how flimsy the seating is on their new Q chairs,

I hope you mentioned the pathetic/flimsy/wobbly arm rests.
Scragger7

Postby Burgerman » 18 Mar 2024, 02:59

I think she was a bit worried about assessing me. Quite rightly if you ask me. I also showed him how flimsy the seating is on their new Q chairs, and how stupid the close together casters are that prevent the seat being moved back, and told him why the hinge on the rear axle was terrible. He looked at what I did to it to try and make it work. I also showed him the way better modified salsa. That they discontinued. banghead

Yep, as well as the above. He looked at my mods with 4 arms and took note and said he would remember that trick for future reference...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Mar 2024, 03:03

4 arms to strengthen. Small diameter front tyres to allow the seat to move back since the centre footrest fits in between. He saw that too.
Attachments
16-small.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair