need dry cell batteries because of pesky airline company

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

need dry cell batteries because of pesky airline company

Postby wheelchairer » 18 Mar 2024, 10:55

So the airlines are being stupid bastards. They say that a lithium battery pack built into a wheelchair can have NO more more than 300 W LOL. The guidelines are linked below. So I need to make up a dry cell battery wheelchair to go on holiday. I'm going to sell this wheelchair and so just want some cheap batteries to get me through the holiday. Can anybody recommend?

And even though I just want a cheap set, I would like to put them on correctly. If I remember correctly, the procedure is;
charge them both to full.
Then connect the two positives together, and the two negative terminals together, and leave them to sit connected for 48?
Then fit into the wheelchair.
Is that correct?

This is a wheelchair produced by thepowerchaircompany.co.uk

"If the battery is not removed, there is no limit to the
Wh rating for the installed battery(ies)"

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/7b37 ... cument.pdf
Attachments
Tango chair.png
C4/5 tetra
BM 8 mph 8mph linix R-net 150Ah lith
Tom BM clone needs 8mph linix, R-net odyssey batteries
Lifestand motion tech 5.6 mph R-net 112Ah lith
wheelchairer

Re: need dry cell batteries because of pesky airline compan

Postby Burgerman » 18 Mar 2024, 14:17

Those dont exist for wheelchairs.
Lithium ion phosphate use an oily electrolyte, lead batteries use acid/water even if its in the form of gel or AGM. Although not spillable in sealed casings. In these cases the electrolyte is still liquid in all of them, inc lihium. But again in all 3 they are non spillable and sealed.

So the airlines are being stupid bastards. They say that a lithium battery pack built into a wheelchair can have NO more more than 300 W LOL.

No thats for REMOVABLE packs like many laptops or segways or portable wheelchairs have.

And even though I just want a cheap set, I would like to put them on correctly. If I remember correctly, the procedure is;
charge them both to full.

Lead? Yes. INDIVIDUALLY and at the correct charge voltage and for the correct time...
Or better still IN PARALLEL full charge.
Then connect the two positives together, and the two negative terminals together, and leave them to sit connected for 48?
Then fit into the wheelchair.
Is that correct?

No you only need connect them in parallel if you have no 12v charger and cant charge them as above. For 12 to 24 hours.

"If the battery is not removed, there is no limit to the
Wh rating for the installed battery(ies)"

Which mean that if the battery isnt USER REMOVABLE like a portable chinese lightweight shopping chair - so normal powerchairs where it goes into the cargo hold - then there is no Wh limit. But you must have a way to disconnect them. So BREAKER SWITCH or accessible ANDERSON CONNECTOR or something.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 18 Mar 2024, 15:57

I avoid fighting with airline operators. Last trip to London, I swapped gel pair back in. Luckly they are cheap @£55 / 85 Ah .

shirley_hkg

Postby LROBBINS » 18 Mar 2024, 16:56

The airlines refer to all sealed batteries as "dry cell" as stupid as that is. Here are the Delta airlines WC form and the placard attached to Rachi's chair. Note that I do NOT mention Li, but refer to the batteries as sealed non-spillable, which they are. If someone asks me if they are LI (no one ever has) I hand them a printed copy of the regulations (IATA or U.S. CFR, I don't recall which I downloaded).
LROBBINS

Postby martin007 » 18 Mar 2024, 17:13

shirley_hkg wrote: I avoid fighting with airline operators. Last trip to London, I swapped gel pair back in. Luckly they are cheap @£55 / 85 Ah .

An 85ah battery for 55 pounds?
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 18 Mar 2024, 17:19

You can get batteries for that. Total junk but its possible. Just buy some nasty cheap "deep cycle" (about 10 times!) leisure batteries. You get what you pay for with lead batteries.

I bought 2 for 49 each. They lasted literally 3 weeks. But were replaced 3 times under warranty before the shop (halfords) decided that they were unsuitable! I try thise things so you dont have to! :D
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelchairer » 18 Mar 2024, 18:06

thank you people
C4/5 tetra
wheelchairer

Postby shirley_hkg » 19 Mar 2024, 01:10

I did shallow discharge in order to maintain them when not in use. Took 55Ah out and they were still >24V.

They are Gel, not AGM, with IR 5.5mΩ

Living standard is not the same. They are 10% cheaper today. banghead

Attachments
IMG-20240319-WA0000.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby wheelchairer » 20 Mar 2024, 18:14

"The batteries must be of a type which meets the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, subsection 38.3"

Does anybody have a clue how I could get hold of any information that would indicate my lithium cells comply to the above?
C4/5 tetra
wheelchairer

Postby Burgerman » 20 Mar 2024, 18:29

I would think that its impossible. This organisation is typical of the sort of globalist nonsense regulations and restrictions that nobody can possibly understand or comply with unless ypu are a massive global company with armies of legal people and test labs. Its al bullshittery. Designed by the corrupt to make sure that their huge globalist corporations do away with competition. Giving political parties huge amounts of £££$$$ ensures these regulations all go ahead. It is anti competition, anti free market, corruption and whilst not as illegal as bribes are it amounts to the same thing. Its corporatism, or all the rich businesses conspiring to help each other. Back handers all over the place. Big orders for those that "help" out... Corrupt business and political practices.

https://unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/d ... Rev7_E.pdf

Impossible nonsense. Without teams of lawyers and big business. Tell me how is a lowly airplane worker loading cargo goin to know WHAT battery is in a chair? I dont without dsmantling it, and even then have no idea if it complies or not with this nonsense.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 20 Mar 2024, 21:39

Many cell suppliers will provide a certificate of UN compliance. It just requires the kind of testing they should be doing anyway.
LROBBINS

Return to Everything Powerchair