How to take off the bearing in the gearbox?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

How to take off the bearing in the gearbox?

Postby snaker » 25 Mar 2024, 08:50

My powerchair sounds noisy. My dad opened the gearbox to check. He found a bearing get loose and he wants to replace it by a new one. But he does not know how take off this bearing. It lies in the back of the case (marked by the red rectangle in the below picture).

Does anybody know a way to take it off?

IMG_20240325_143024.jpg
snaker

Re: How to take off the bearing in the gearbox?

Postby snaker » 25 Mar 2024, 09:24

He finally took the bearing off :clap
He just strongly hit on the case, then the bearing went off :cussing
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 25 Mar 2024, 11:43

Yes. Bearings are pressed in. And :hammer out...

But. Motors generally wear out pretty much as a unit. And are therefore sold as a single sub assembly. So if that bearing is worn out then its pretty much garanteed that so are all the others. They just have not failed, yet. And gears wear too reducing gear efficiency (range, noise) and increasing backlash. And the motor will be worn as well as its bearings/gears. And its commutator/brushes probably as well. And its magnets will be weaker than when new reducing efficiency (range and torque) too. The motor windings magnetic "pull" gradually demagnetise the permanant magnets. As does heat. And the cush drive along with the D shaped drive or slot that drives them will be tired with too much backlash by now as well. So if I were you, and unless these motors are relatively new, I would look around and get a new set on the shelf ready to swap in. Because just fixing that bearing will not be a long term fix. They shouldnt be that costly. And what will you do if they fail while you try to find some?

Been there and got the T shirt. Over and over. Once things start wearing out they are usually going to be unreliable and lower efficiency too. So not really worth fixing. Remember that getting stuck miles from home in our situation can be more than just inconvinient. It can result in death in extreme circumstances. Or pressure sores or other problems even if not. I even got stuck at HOME when my chair failed at the bottom of my garden hidden in a little used room where the mower lives. After 5 or 6 hours my carer Jenny decided to look around. And found me. Fortunately!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 25 Mar 2024, 12:43

For removal or replacement of bearings best way is to but the bearing in the freezer, and the motor allow case in the oven untill its a bit too hot to hold... Around 80C to 90C. Then a bearing should just about fall in, or out with no hitting or force.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair