BM tyre and inner tube recommendation

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

BM tyre and inner tube recommendation

Postby wheelchairer » 02 Apr 2024, 19:55

I have Castor Tyre 3.00-4 on my BM copy, and another chair with tyre 2.5 - 4. BOTH having a lot of problems with tyres exploding Tyres and inner tube, so want to Eradicate any possible causes.

What kind of mileage do people get from this recommended tyre, before replacing? Any other recommendations about what point to replace?

so with the carers I have been carefully checking what they inflate them to, and I know for certain they haven't gone above the recommended psi. I've been taking them up close to the PSI for better steering around the house. How close to the maximum inflation do people go?

I also put the green gunk in.

It's not so bad in the slow chair, but at 9 mph I cannot afford to be getting blowouts. LOL
C4/5 tetra
BM 8 mph 8mph linix R-net 150Ah lith
Tom BM clone needs 8mph linix, R-net odyssey batteries
Lifestand motion tech 5.6 mph R-net 112Ah lith
wheelchairer

Re: BM tyre and inner tube recommendation

Postby Burgerman » 02 Apr 2024, 23:00

I have Castor Tyre 3.00-4 on my BM copy, and another chair with tyre 2.5 - 4. BOTH having a lot of problems with tyres exploding Tyres and inner tube, so want to Eradicate any possible causes.

You are buying cheap chinese made junk tyres.
I never had a 3.00 tyre explode or fail in 26 years of abuse. They will wear down to the tube and burst if you drive far enough and I have done that plenty of times. Why? Because the BM2/BM3 chairs dont much care! They are fine to get to the pub with a flat destroyed front caster tyre! I have ignored it on occasions for a day or so until new tyres turned up.

What kind of mileage do people get from this recommended tyre, before replacing? Any other recommendations about what point to replace?

It all depends. But with a *lot* of use, maybe I wear them faster than the vast majority of people do. And I get through 3 sets a year or so depending at what point I decide they are "worn". Which is usually long after I got my moneys worth! You can swap them out when they look a bit worn. Or leave them until they literally wear right through to the tube! The difference in milage is huge! Best to replace when they show signs wear. Rather than to keep going until they rival kojak. See image of one of my "worn" ones below! It burst because theres a place the tube actually poked through the tyre!

so with the carers I have been carefully checking what they inflate them to, and I know for certain they haven't gone above the recommended psi. I've been taking them up close to the PSI for better steering around the house. How close to the maximum inflation do people go?

What do you call "maximum" pressure? Depending on chair, anything between 10 psi and 30psi for me.

I also put the green gunk in.

It's not so bad in the slow chair, but at 9 mph I cannot afford to be getting blowouts. LOL

9mph is almost parked. If you got a blowout absolutely nothing bad happens. In fact you dont even need to stop. Just continue on your trip. Steering is a bit harder but you can still drive fine. If you need to have air in your casters, or if they need to be at a high pressure then the chair isnt programmed properly.
Attachments
700_1502.JPG
If it looks like this one it WILL explode!
But it doesent matter...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 02 Apr 2024, 23:08

Flat tyre. Another one that I ran until it exploded. Tube popped. It doesent stop me getting beer. If you cant control the chair PROPERLY with a flat front tyre then you need to program it correctly.
https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/puncture.mp4

Faulty tyre, doesent run true. Replaced. Some are just junk. Be selective.
https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/bad_tyre.mp4
Not in the last post I had a big stack of tyres. These are cheap, bulk, not all good! One in 4 is "bad"...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelchairer » 03 Apr 2024, 09:52

Burgerman wrote:You are buying cheap chinese made junk tyres.

do you have a link to the ones you buy please?
C4/5 tetra
wheelchairer

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2024, 10:52

Not really, eBay. There are mny different ones. Some are nasty copies. Some are well made by the original companies. Hard to tell the good from the cheap clones that are basically fake. After you buy a few you can recognise the difference. When I find a decent set I then order a lot. Got maybe 30 tyres in stock now. 10 tubes.

:clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelchairer » 03 Apr 2024, 10:54

C4/5 tetra
wheelchairer

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2024, 10:59

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125888378112
Looks OK / genuine.

And the last one on your list MAY be ok. Hard to tell until you hold them!

I had some that looked like this. No centre groove. They were clones but seemed OK. At least they seemed strong. But no garantee these ARE actually the same. You only see the rubber, not the internal construction. Get a few different ones and test! If you find good ones buy a dozen. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166008417196
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelchairer » 03 Apr 2024, 11:33

I ended up buying this lot and see what happens.
Attachments
Amazon purchase.png
eBay purchase.png
C4/5 tetra
wheelchairer

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2024, 11:56

Good. One of them should be decent! Hopefully!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 03 Apr 2024, 12:40

Another difference between your chair and Burgerman's may be that he has his center of gravity well back so that there's little weight on the casters (and steering is much improved). If yours is set up as most are when delivered, you may have a good bit more load on those tires.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2024, 18:36

Well its supposed to be a clone of my BM2 chair? But who knows. Does it wheelie easily?

Although I use the same tyres on the more nose heavy and generally very heavy 185KG salsa too though. Still no problem with caster tyres.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 03 Apr 2024, 18:43

A quality tyre is very difficult to explode.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2024, 18:56

Well if you drive the far enough they will! I do. And they do... :lol:
But as I said it doesent stop the chair from being used it just steers crap... For a day or so, until you change it. Nothing stops me getting to the pub. cheers
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby thamesmud » 04 Apr 2024, 11:52

I have found the GoPed tyres with the solid centre band in the tread to be the best. Availability tends to be patchy so I keep my eyes open and have a spare or two in reserve.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402032602861
If you can find them Kenda Tyres are also top notch.
thamesmud

Postby Burgerman » 04 Apr 2024, 17:32

Those are decent too. I have a few sets of them. As long as they are not clones or copies...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 04 Apr 2024, 17:43

thamesmud wrote:I have found the GoPed tyres with the solid centre band in the tread to be the best. Availability tends to be patchy so I keep my eyes open and have a spare or two in reserve.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402032602861
If you can find them Kenda Tyres are also top notch.

My situation is similar.
I'm going to buy some new tyres, but my store doesn't have them in stock.
Other sellers ask for twice as much money...
I can wait because I'm farsighted.
martin007

Return to Everything Powerchair