POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PINNED - Info on PROGRAMMING PGDT and others

Postby alfiepink » 07 Dec 2018, 00:56

woodygb wrote:Check your P.M.

hi the software worked. i made the lead up worked first go thank you
alfiepink

Postby funchairguy » 07 Dec 2018, 16:43

woodygb wrote:It's possible that the values are 20k and 27k.

The value of the resistor pair is 48.4k ohm (measured) which is within 3% of the recommended 47k ohm value.

I believe I have found the problem(s). I will verify with my other joysticks when I get back into town.

Stay tuned for the solution....
funchairguy

Postby Mind The Gap » 09 Dec 2018, 15:13

Hi All
Could someone post the pilot plus software, had it before but cant find it.

Cheers paul
Otto Bock B500 with 105ah lifepo4 main, 48ah lifepo4 addon. 153ah total.
Mind The Gap

Postby steves1977uk » 09 Dec 2018, 22:16

See PM Paul. :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Mind The Gap » 10 Dec 2018, 09:11

steves1977uk wrote:See PM Paul. :thumbup:

Steve

Thanks steve.

Now for the next problem somehow I've click the protect icon and giving it a password which I don't know.
Is there any way to clear password without knowing the password.

Thanks Paul
Mind The Gap

Postby woodygb » 10 Dec 2018, 09:33

This is what the Manual say's...

Protect - Allows PC Programmer to be secured using a password.
Once the program has been protected users can only Open / Close , Read From / Write To and Program attached control systems.
When a file is protected PC Programmer will only allow ALL groups to be viewed.

When the a file is in a PROTECTED state the only Group available is ALL

It is unclear to me what this PROTECT means... the Software Program ...the saved file ... or the program in the controller?
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby funchairguy » 11 Dec 2018, 01:30

Problem fixed!
Just a quick recap:
I was struggling to get the PC Mobility Programmer software to communicate. I always had “COMMS INACTIVE”. I’ve tried 3 different VR2 modules and 3 different joysticks, 2 FTDI cables, 2 different versions of the PC programming software, and 4 computers. Also, with the help of this Forum, we tried many other fixes to get the communication to work.

Finally, I went to my friend who had all sorts of oscilloscopes and testing equipment. I took him my oldest and most beat up joystick which works, but never been used for programming. With the TTL-232R-3V3-WE cable, XLR cable, and resistor+diode mod, we monitored the cable signal. We found that the PC Mobility Programmer software was initiating the communication, but there was no response from the VR2 module. We eventually discovered that there was a broken TX/RX wire within this joystick cable. Can you believe that? However, that doesn’t explain why the other joysticks and modules wouldn’t communicate. We made a quick and dirty fix to the joystick cable and tested. We got “COMMS ACTIVE” and verified with the oscilloscope that the communications were going both directions, but the communication link was extremely unstable. The comms status in the software GUI was constantly switching from active to inactive.

We then played around with different resistances and found that 47K ohm is right on the very edge of degrading the communication signal to the point of instability or not functioning at all. My resistor pair was 48.4k ohm and was unstable with the old joystick. It would not function at all with the other joysticks and module combinations. We had a test box with different common resistor values to select such as 22k ohm, 33k ohm, 47k ohm, 68k ohm, etc… With this box in place of the programming cable resistor, we switched to 47k ohm and communications failed. Switching to 33k ohm worked with no instability. 22k ohm would not work. We also noticed that the rising edge of the signal was degraded with higher resistance which is likely the reason for the communication failure. Lower resistance made for a faster rise time and a solid digital signal. I went and tested the other joysticks and modules using the 33k ohm resistance in the programming cable, and they now communicate perfectly.

In conclusion, I believe that 47k ohm resistance for the VR2 is right on the very edge of having an unstable signal and may not function at all. Adding additional cable between the resistor and the XLR connector along with possibly dirty or corroded connections on either the joystick connectors or the VR2 connector may magnify the problem by adding resistance. I recommend a lower value resistor such as a 33k ohm.

To get a better idea of what value more suited for this purpose, I recommend someone perform a test. Use a potentiometer with a 22k ohm resistor in-line to prevent accidentally running the resistance too low. Then with the programming software running, slowly adjust the potentiometer until the comms indicator starts to switch between inactive and active (unstable). Then pull the potentiometer out and measure the resistance for both the bottom limit and again for the upper limit.

It has been a huge headache, but I just couldn't let this one defeat me. I wan't to thank everyone for quick responses to help. :thumbup:
funchairguy

Postby Burgerman » 11 Dec 2018, 04:11

Mmm. I seem to remember I have no resistor? or diode. Woody's cable from long ago.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 12 Dec 2018, 00:44

Thanks for the update on the resistor values... I'll start using and recommending 33k.

B.M. your cable is an old original that uses a different cable model and PL2303 chip set and didn't use any additional components.

The big draw back was that it was impossible to recommend a specific manufacturer , only that a generic KPG 4 programming cable should or could work.

The problem was exacerbated further by the various KPG leads having no colour standardisation for the wires... I had one where RED was used as GND! ...plus the Prolific chip drivers were and still are a PITA... thus the eventual change over to a readily available consistent cable type.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 12 Dec 2018, 00:47

New drawing using 33k resistor.
plugs pgdt 2.jpg
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby foghornleghorn » 12 Dec 2018, 10:53

So is it 33k for everything now or just the VR2?

When my hands are feeling good enough I want to make something to talk to Pilot+, and hopefully a VSI joystick/power module all-in-one too.

33k or 47k?
foghornleghorn

Postby woodygb » 12 Dec 2018, 16:10

33k for ALL.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Mind The Gap » 14 Dec 2018, 15:54

woodygb wrote:This is what the Manual say's...

Protect - Allows PC Programmer to be secured using a password.
Once the program has been protected users can only Open / Close , Read From / Write To and Program attached control systems.
When a file is protected PC Programmer will only allow ALL groups to be viewed.

When the a file is in a PROTECTED state the only Group available is ALL

It is unclear to me what this PROTECT means... the Software Program ...the saved file ... or the program in the controller?

Hi Woody sorted the protect lock out by using regscanner to find key and delete it.
Program running ok and active now, but getting a 6 bar trip code saying charger connected.
Have checked cables and such and everything seems fine.
Any suggestion please.

Cheers Paul
Mind The Gap

Postby woodygb » 14 Dec 2018, 16:52

Is this a new error?

This error may occur if the chair is configured for an ONBOARD charger.

There should be an INHIBIT setting in the program that you could alter .
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Mind The Gap » 17 Dec 2018, 12:21

woodygb wrote:Is this a new error?

This error may occur if the chair is configured for an ONBOARD charger.

There should be an INHIBIT setting in the program that you could alter .

Thanks woody, inhibitor set to high changed to low everything ok now.
Wondering what to set Motor Compensation at, came of a four pole drive unit set to 40 millohms going onto a 300watt two pole unit.

Cheers Paul
Mind The Gap

Postby woodygb » 17 Dec 2018, 12:40

GREAT CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN WHILST DOING THIS.

I like to initially find the unstable compensation limit... I do this with both the chairs wheels jacked up off the floor and the stick in neutral.

Try with 80 mohm's as a starting point and move up in 5 mohm steps .... at some point the motors will start to buzz , hum and eventually hunt ( go forward and backwards randomly ) ....this is now the over the top limit and I'd suggest backing off by 10 mohm's from whatever number you have arrived at that was unstable .
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby wheels » 21 Dec 2018, 08:14

woodygb wrote:New drawing using 33k resistor.

May I ask which type of controller this is designed to program?? This topic is just a bit tough to keep up with considering PDGT makes more than one type of joystick/controller that's all, so I just wasn't sure whether this works on VR2 controllers or if its compatible with other PGDT models as well, in particular R-Net controllers? Thanks very much for your help!
wheels

Postby woodygb » 21 Dec 2018, 10:56

The lead is suitable ...with the correct plug end and relevant software ...for nearly every PGDT Product ...

BUT NOT R-NET.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby foghornleghorn » 22 Dec 2018, 15:31

Could someone link me to the pilot+ software please.
foghornleghorn

Postby foghornleghorn » 22 Dec 2018, 16:06

Thanks Burgerman :thumbup:
foghornleghorn

Postby funchairguy » 12 Jan 2019, 05:27

Question,

I have a couch driven by a 70 amp VR2 controller. I want to go to a 90 amp R-net controller because I can find easily on eBay.

Since the connectors are different, I would have to change out connectors. Does anyone know if the VR2 joystick will communicate to the R-net motor controller if I changed connectors?
Attachments
Rnet.GIF
VR2.GIF
funchairguy

Postby woodygb » 12 Jan 2019, 10:16

The VR2 pod will NOT work with the R-net module.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby moe247365 » 13 Jan 2019, 02:55

May I get a link to the software as well?
moe247365

Postby funchairguy » 14 Jan 2019, 23:54

woodygb wrote:The VR2 pod will NOT work with the R-net module.

Thank you.
funchairguy

Postby jazz55 » 25 Feb 2019, 15:34

Hi,
Has anyone got a recent version of the S-Drive programmer?
I have a new 120amp S-Drive I want to try and use but my software won't talk to it.
I have a copy of the dealer version 14.6.0 - this one will talk to the controller but is very limited on what I can change.
The copy of the manufacturer level software I have is version 9.8.2 - this is the one that will not talk to the controller (always has comms inactive).
I have used this manufacturer level version many times before so all i can assume is the new 120amp s-Drive is more recent.
Any help appreciated as always :D
jazz55

Postby woodygb » 25 Feb 2019, 16:27

The software often needs to be contemporary with the controllers date... thus the early software doesn't always work with a later model controller.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby shirley_hkg » 27 Feb 2019, 03:37

shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 27 Feb 2019, 08:26

Dealer level only. So basic stuff only.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Twinpanther » 05 Mar 2019, 23:19

Sorry folks. Been reading for the last hour+ and I think I'm more confused now.
I have a Permobil F3 with a F5VS on the way. I'd like to be able to program these on my laptop after they finish screwing up my settings when they deliver the F5.
So, my questions are these:

From what I can figure, I need a Dongle, correct? Is this something Woody can make? If not I see none on eBay unless I'm searching with incorrect words.
    I know I'll need software but I'm pretty sure of where it can be obtained.
    Is this the extent of what I need? Software plus a Dongle running between chair and PC?
    I'm guessing the F3 and F5VS will use the same dongle and software. Am I correct?
    I believe I read that Dealer software can be changed to act more like OEM. True or False?
Man, from this works to they screwed us making non-legitimate chips not work properly to Build this cable and you can now use a 33K resistor instead of a 47K BUT NOT FOR R-NET! LOL

Paul
Twinpanther

Postby woodygb » 05 Mar 2019, 23:35

If the control system is R-net then unfortunately you will need to BUY or acquire a genuine Dongle.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair