PINNED - Info on PROGRAMMING PGDT and others

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: DIY PGDT interface for OEM PROGRAMMING

Postby greybeard » 01 Sep 2017, 20:33

greybeard wrote:Well, the software installed on my Linux PC OK via Wine. Will report back as to whether the software works or not when Woody's cable arrives.

Struggling a bit. Can't find a comms port that will work and don't know enough about command line or delving into the innards of Linux to sort it out. It may be a driver or dependency problem. Although there is a lot of software that mentions ndti freely available for Linux, I've no idea how to get is necessary to get the programmer working.

Looks like I'll have to dust off and try to fire up my old windows laptop after all. Bummer.
greybeard

Postby woodygb » 01 Sep 2017, 20:41

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby steves1977uk » 01 Sep 2017, 20:47

Not surprised as the software is written for Windows. I find Linux more hassle than it's worth, half the software I use won't work in Linux via Wine due to poor compatibility. Best stick with Windows!

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby greybeard » 01 Sep 2017, 21:55

Thanks Woody. You're a star. I'll have a play with that tomorrow.

Sorry Steve, I've had it with keeping Bill in his life of luxury. Linux is fine for most of what I need. What it can't do I can live without.
greybeard

Postby steves1977uk » 01 Sep 2017, 22:23

There's always ReactOS, an open source version of Windows... https://www.reactos.org/

Might be worth a try on a spare machine/laptop.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 02 Sep 2017, 01:29

Sorry Steve, I've had it with keeping Bill in his life of luxury. Linux is fine for most of what I need. What it can't do I can live without.

I never actually paid for a copy of windows in my life. Its basically free if you are a home user with any clue about computers. Always was... Yes not quite legal but I tried that with this laptop. And got fed up with re-legalising it when it thought it wasnt. So I just ran the usual hack/crack/activator and no more crap.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 02 Sep 2017, 09:45

I've no experience with cracking software or even how to find what's required, and probably too old now to learn. I'll stick to Linux, which is genuinely and legally FREE to use - along with thousands of open source programmes that are also genuinely FREELY and legally available.

Making every effort to avoid price-bloated & usually untested MS software and products has become a matter of principle for me. Why Gates thinks it is ethical to send out incomplete and vastly overpriced software that he expects the end users to test for MS, is quite beyond me. I choose not to play.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 02 Sep 2017, 10:42

Well if you understand computers its trivial to remove every trace of bloatware, and other unwanted behaviour, and the days when windows was unreliable are very long gone. You are looking back at the days when it was a noddy bedroom operating system. If there are issues today its only ever 3rd party software, 3rd party non signed drivers on cheap chinese hardware, or actual physical hardware issues. And its free too... And a thousand times better and with support for the software for my 20 or so hobby devices, chargers, tools, and even my mower... What you have is like going back to the stone age in comparison, and it wont work anything much without emulators etc making it slow and unreliable. But thats your choice.

I can even give you a copy of windows 10 64 corporate version with all the metro aps, phone home stuff, junk and settings etc already gone, that is totally clean of junk or bloatware, all ready to just click install and walk off. It will have already drivers for your system built in, provided you have relatively modern decent quality hardware, and it will just work. And a single file to run afterwards so its activated... Its far easier than installing linux, and faster and smaller and easily as reliable!

thousands of open source programmes that are also genuinely FREELY and legally available.

Far less than for windows. And most of the filesare not or are less compatible. And non that are any use for my servo, rc transmitter, mower, sevral charger types, tools, miniature gas turbine, multimeters, etc etc etc utilities thatare required. Everything is VHS and you are on betamax.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 02 Sep 2017, 11:12

Linux is ok for basic tasks, eg. web browsing, checking e-mails, watching youtube, etc... But trying to install drivers for additional hardware or installing programs takes a lot of faffing around with the command line, typing in various "sudo get-app" just to get a piece of hardware to work. No wonder it's market share hasn't exceeded 4% in 30+ years, including Unix.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby greybeard » 02 Sep 2017, 14:16

OK John, you convinced me. Sending you a PM.
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 14:29

I've set up the software on W10 and it recognises Woody's programming lead. It recognises USB as Comm3 and I can write a new VR2 file - BUT it still shows Comms Inactive so I can't write the parameters to the chair.

Please tell me what am I doing wrong, guys?
greybeard

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 14:33

Does the software complain when you start it... e.g. UNABLE TO OPEN SERIAL PORT ?

Can you open DEVICE MANAGER and conform that the lead has installed correctly and is indeed assigned Com 3 .
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 14:37

Further thoughts...

Coms MUST be ACTIVE to READ or WRITE to the controller.

Joystick must be turned ON.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 14:48

NOTE:- YOU need to tell the PGDT Software the Comms number ....it will not find it by itself.

Click on .... Tools- Comms - choose the assigned number 1-8
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 15:23

woodygb wrote:Further thoughts...

Coms MUST be ACTIVE to READ or WRITE to the controller.

Joystick must be turned ON.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Been playing with it on another PC without web connection. The cable hadn't been installed properly.

I've now got Comms Active. :D and Manufacturing level.

However it refuses to read from the controller (Error loading tag file) except for the systems log that shows a few faults but without dates these don't help.

The software also won't let me create a new file. I should add that this is on a new installation of W10 than in I referred to in my previous post.

Any hints anyone can give would be welcome. Thanks.
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 15:55

Woody, I saw that back in August 2014 you helped another member with the same problem by pointing him to a later version. Do you remember the details, please?
greybeard

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 16:35

What version have you got?

14.4.3 is the latest that I have.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 16:37

It's the one from the link you sent me by PM - 14.4.3.2

If it helps the controller is V - 2.4
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 16:40

Oh dear. Looks as though I'm stuck then.
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 16:44

The only thing I can think of is that when I sent my initial cry for help when it allowed me to create a new parameter file, but not upload it, this was on the full version of W10. Now I'm using the stripped down version that BM recommended from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... ition.html.

Could going back to the full version make a difference, do you think? I'm going to give it a try anyway and see what happens.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 03 Sep 2017, 16:52

Works fine on both here.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 17:04

Yeah. Thanks John! But I'm not driving all the way from Bournemouth to have a borrow of yours. :x

Everyone tells me it's only a 10 minute job. I'm already a week older! :evil:
greybeard

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 17:05

As I recall....Controllers that have been programmed with a later software version cannot be programmed with an earlier software version.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 17:23

Oh well, I got this little ex demo chair for a very good price. Its only use is to get me from my bed to the bathroom and stairlift so I'll have to learn to cope with its innacurate steering. Far cheaper to buy a pot of paint for the doorframes than a programmer.

I'm very grateful for all those who tried to help. Thank you.
greybeard

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 17:28

I should be able to get the latest Dealer version.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 17:33

Will that allow the infamous turn limits to be removed ? That is all I really want to do.
greybeard

Postby woodygb » 03 Sep 2017, 17:35

Dunno... you have a P.M.

Latest version is 14_6_0
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby steves1977uk » 03 Sep 2017, 17:59

I've sent greybeard 14.6 OEM to remove any "walls".

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 18:17

What can I say, guys? Now I'm spoiled for choice :)

What a great resource this board is.
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 03 Sep 2017, 21:58

Cracked it, guys! Very happy. Thanks again.
greybeard

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair