Storm 3 FFH vs Quickie Groove ?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Storm 3 FFH vs Quickie Groove ?

Postby cedric » 31 Oct 2012, 12:53

Hello all

I am Cédric from Lyon in France,
I am looking to buy a new wheelchair. I wanna play football with this chair so naturally i was thinking first to the storm 3 FFH.
But this wheelchair have a strange design the sit is too much in front as you can see on this pics.
So I read on French board people buy storm 3 FFH and used Storm X and they put motors and power module on the Storm X because the seat could be on the center of gravity of the wheelchair

stuff in storm 3 ffh
DX2 80 amps
70 Ah batteries
Over Voltage Trip 30VDC
10 km/h Heavy Duty (400w 4 pole) in reallity he can go to 12 kph
Bumper Kit (Front, Rear & Side)

Ventilation Kit

When I read your website, you said that the motor of the Groove are strong and the power module seem to be the better,that we can find in medicshop...

So I am thinking why not using the groove for football

with
R-net PM120-1.2M
Over Voltage Trip 35VDC
75 ah batteries
8.5 Mph 4 pole motor 380watt 13.5 kph

Do you think the wheelchair is strong enough ? because there is lot of choc...
football need a lot of acceleration during the playing time, the dx2 and motors become hot on the storm 3 ffh that why they add ventilation kit. When the DX2 become hot I read that they lost power...

I think the R-net PM120 is better than the DX2.
but the question is about the motor,will he be strong enought survive with this quantity of acceleration ?
there is some people who have try this 2 wheelchair ? do they know if the acceleration is better on the storm 3 ffh or on the quickie groove ?

Thanks
cedric

Re: Storm 3 FFH vs Quickie Groove ?

Postby Step » 31 Oct 2012, 13:39

You-Q (handicare) makes a pretty good looking one as well.
R-net 120Amp controller, 12,5km/h high torque motors, adjustable centre of gravity possibility, ...
For serious football action, maybe it'd be good to try the oddyssey AGM batteries BM loves so much?
Attachments
alex_soccer.png
alex_soccer.png (51.57 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Step

Postby Burgerman » 31 Oct 2012, 13:52

Groove is available with slower geared (so greater torque) motors too. 6.2MPH.

The 8.5mph groove has less torque, and less acceleration, and will take much greater amps in every manoever. So a 4 pole 6.2mph groove would be an option for soccer but not the faster one.

The R net and DX2 are pretty similar in performance, and have lower resistance (impedance) than older generation electronics. So produce less heat.

So maybe a good option.

You may also want to steal a few ideas from my own chair, as it has a 45v 150 amp per side controller, groove motors, and so will accelerate MUCH harder than any normal powerchair if rules allow this. And its not front heavy. And its battery is much lighter and charges faster too. Theres about 7 pages here: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-MK3- ... rchair.htm
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 31 Oct 2012, 17:44

As I recall, wheelchair football has a speed limit. Given that, as Burgerman said you probably don't want the fastest motors, but the motors give the greatest torque for rapid turning and acceleration. Ciao, Lenny
LROBBINS

Postby JoeC » 31 Oct 2012, 18:20

Yes, the speed limit is 6.2 mph, so if your motors are capable of much more then you sacrifice acceleration. Having said that, a controller that will do 150 amps up to 50 volts and a batter that can supply that.... it wouldn't matter if the chair can do twice the speed limit if you're able to configure it so that it only goes the speed limit, since you'd have more than enough power available to break traction all the way up the the speed limit.

If you're limited to 24V and lower current outputs, though, you'll want motors that aren't geared to any faster than 6.5 to 7 mph.
JoeC

Return to Everything Powerchair