PINNED - AGM & GEL battery info lead battery info

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PINNED - AGM & GEL battery info lead battery info

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jun 2019, 22:39

The problem is that many people have a choice between these batteries and nothing. And you offer a choice between MK, lithium and this. Not fair.

Its got nothing to do with whats 'fair'.
The batteries I am taking about are about as good as it gets for wheelchair use. And they are pretty much the only options unless you want a lot of problems, short life, limited range, and a lack of torque due to high impedance.

I am sorry about that but thats just how it is. Its just chemistry and physics. Fair does nt enter into it.

In Russia, even these batteries are for many the best. Some people use starter batteries for $ 50 from the car and change them every 3 months. Because they have no money. And the government does not pay for the replacement of the battery.

If it were me, I WOULD use starter batteries in preference to those cheap chinese deep cycle ones. Why? Because they are (or can be if you choose wisely) lower impedance. So you get better torque. (look for high cranking amps, long reserve time). Which is a big problem with those cheap chinese ones. As you say starter batteries die fast. But not if you top them up several times a day at high Amps as I already do. So as to keep the average Depth of Discharge low. (just as your car does after every start). That will make them last 6 months instead of 2. And they are cheaper.

The real answer is lithium. However you deal with it, it is not cheap to be disabled. Thats just a fact. Its not about whats fair. Those chinese batteries are just a waste of money.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jun 2019, 23:03

I found this:

1:Stable discharging: 15% more working time than similar products. Not sure what that means... Marketing.
2:Battery life: using the advanced technology to extend the battery life, 8% longer than similar products. If charged correctly. And which similar products???
3:Eco-friendly: non-cadmium technology. Marketing, against nicad batteries which we never see today anyway
4:Maintenance-Free Operation:Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology ensures efficient gas recombination up to 99% and freedom from electrolyte So its AGM not gel. Thats a confusion as some have gel printed on them, which makes no sense at the stated charge voltages. So they must be AGM. no need to check the specific gravity of the electrolyte or add water. As there hasnt been for 20 years in powerchairs with sealed batteries.

They state a maximum discharge rate of only 300A. And a charge rate of 5A...
That compares to over 5000A short circuit current and 1,500A f0r 5 seconds from the odyssey. And a non limited charge current. As high Amp as possible is recommended. No heating because low impedance.
And 450A for the MK gel.
It is therefore a high impedance battery so will perform great in a solar array, or a backup system, but rubbish in a wheelchair. It does claim a good cycle life though. But only if charged fully every night. That means 12 to 16 hours including float.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Fedor » 03 Jun 2019, 12:30

Burgerman wrote:I am sorry about that but thats just how it is. Its just chemistry and physics. Fair does nt enter into it.

Chemistry, physics, and money.

Fedor wrote:If it were me, I WOULD use starter batteries in preference to those cheap chinese deep cycle ones. Why? Because they are (or can be if you choose wisely) lower impedance.

This is an interesting point of view. It makes sense. But. I could not find any information about the internal resistance of car batteries. Even brands like Varta do not write them in specifications. At least in batteries around $ 50-100. So in reality, this is buying a cat in a bag.

Burgerman wrote:So you get better torque. (look for high cranking amps, long reserve time).

I'm talking about a powerchair with a current limit of around 50A maximum, with weak Chinese motors by Hua-Feng, and a weak controller DK-PMB50. So....
geek | non-native english | bear, vodka, balalaika
Fedor

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jun 2019, 13:47

This is an interesting point of view. It makes sense. But. I could not find any information about the internal resistance of car batteries. Even brands like Varta do not write them in specifications. At least in batteries around $ 50-100. So in reality, this is buying a cat in a bag.

Starter batteries are ALL low imp[edance, or they will struggle to start a car.
Your cheap deep cycle battereies wont start a car in winter.

To compare look at cranking amps.
650 to 800 CA is normal even for a cheap starter battery. Or it wont start a car... Odyssey is approx 1000CA

I'm talking about a powerchair with a current limit of around 50A maximum, with weak Chinese motors by Hua-Feng, and a weak controller DK-PMB50. So....

That controller can do 100A (2 channels).
Its also not about the maximum it can do its about the voltagfe drop at 50 to 100A that means you will see 9V under load. 18 for a pair. The controller doesent like that so it REDUCES power to remain stable and in control to maintain at least 20V.

Odyssey that I use is 2.5mOhm.
Thats nearly twice as good as the MK gel, at 3.5mOhm.
Those cheap chinese batteries will be around 8mOhm. So 3+ x the voltage drop of the Odyssey under load. You may think it doesent matter. But its the reason the batteries have little range because the voltage drop under load gets much worse, and feels like a dead battery as they become more discharged. The result is that you would need 100Ah cheap battery to go as far as a 70Ah Odyssey. Or 80Ah MK.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Fedor » 03 Jun 2019, 15:12

Burgerman wrote:Starter batteries are ALL low imp[edance, or they will struggle to start a car.
Your cheap deep cycle battereies wont start a car in winter.

To compare look at cranking amps.
650 to 800 CA is normal even for a cheap starter battery. Or it wont start a car... Odyssey is approx 1000CA

There is another factor. The size. These are quite compact - 226x120x175. And this is the maximum that I can put in the powerchair. Starting batteries with such a size, capacity of more than 45Ah, and high cranking amps are quite difficult to find. I have not seen such.

Burgerman wrote:That controller can do 100A (2 channels).

Are you sure? Then why between the batteries there is a fuse about 50A limit?

I think the only right answer is lithium. Everything else will be a compromise.
geek | non-native english | bear, vodka, balalaika
Fedor

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jun 2019, 15:33

Yes I am sure.

Because a fuse can easily take double that 50A intermittently, for longer than the powerchair requires it. It can take 50A all day. 70A quite likely for weeks and may or may not fail eventually. 100A for 20 secs, 150A for 5 secs, etc.

Same as breakers.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 26 Jun 2019, 15:55

Burgerman wrote:KEEP EVERYTHING HERE ON TOPIC!

WHAT ARE THE BEST BATTERIES TO BUY?

- AVERAGE normal use in an average non demanding or slow chair. Fit the LARGEST MK GEL or SONNENSCHEIN A500 DRYFIT battery that will fit in the space. This IS the best solution. There are no other GEL batteries worth fitting. SONNENSCHEIN GF 12 051 Y 1 is the one you need if not getting the MK. I would buy MK and http://www.mkbattery.com/documents/7175 ... 011-09.pdf BOTH are available in the UK from http://www.tayna.co.uk DONT PAY VAT!

- for DEMANDING use, faster charging, more torque, better at high loads with faster chairs, and with reprogrammed to 'go" chairs, or off road use etc, Use the PC1500 Odyssey battery in place of the Group 24 or 34 batteries you have now. Or the equivalent size to replace what you have. These perform better, but have a marginally worse cycle life in theory. In practice they actually seem to last longer, as most mobility chargers are better suited to charging these than gel batteries. Details and technical here: http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents ... 11_000.pdf Again, http://www.tayna.co.uk keep these. DONT PAY VAT! In the US some of these are re-branded as Die-Hard and other names too. Odyssey are also good and use the same technology, but physically bigger Ah per Ah, so less suitable in a powerchair.

- There are NO other batteries that can or will out perform these above in a powerchair. And there are absolutely no cheaper batteries that are worth considering. The rest are simply not adequate and will both perform worse and will cost more long term.

DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO FIT ANYTHING BUT THESE THREE ABOVE!

our these still the best batteries for my BM to clone
funkykeyboard

Postby funkykeyboard » 26 Jun 2019, 16:10

They all seem to have then logs on the side and they won't fit in the central housing/battery box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... y&_sacat=0
is this the one (this one has 34 and the end so not sure)
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/o ... icQAvD_BwE
or this one
https://www.countybattery.co.uk/high-pe ... roQAvD_BwE
Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :-)
funkykeyboard

Postby LROBBINS » 26 Jun 2019, 16:44

On the Odysseys with side lugs, all it takes is a moment with a hacksaw to remove those connectors leaving the usual top posts for your connections. They do make them without the side connectors, but they are harder to find.
LROBBINS

Postby funkykeyboard » 26 Jun 2019, 16:52

LROBBINS wrote:On the Odysseys with side lugs, all it takes is a moment with a hacksaw to remove those connectors leaving the usual top posts for your connections. They do make them without the side connectors, but they are harder to find.

I did find those 2 websites, Tanya and country, with batteries without lugs, are they not the same?
funkykeyboard

Postby funkykeyboard » 26 Jun 2019, 16:54

How much mileage would BM two, with the wide tyres et cetera, be likely to do off the dry cell batteries anyway?-ish? I live in Southport, so it's mostly flat.
funkykeyboard

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jun 2019, 16:55

All PC1500 are the same.

But, go lithium...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 01 Jul 2019, 18:52

Burgerman wrote:All PC1500 are the same.

But, go lithium...

One of the great boons of this wheelchair would be to be able to use it when you go abroad, where the roads and paths may be cobbled et cetera.

Has anybody been able to travel on a plane successfully with the self constructed wheelchair with lithium batteries?

I'm thinking this will be a problem. So I was thinking of creating the wheelchair with both options, so if they turn me down on the flight usage with this wheelchair, I could switch it to dry cell batteries and then they would have no complaints.

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :-)
funkykeyboard

Postby ex-Gooserider » 02 Jul 2019, 02:32

Supposedly there are at least some guidance postings (Lenny has put copies of them here in the past) saying that permanently installed Lithium in mobility devices should be allowed in light of the Air Carrier Access Act, etc. but it is a bit fuzzy.... Among other things, the guidance mentioned 'pilot discretion'....

I have also heard of people getting away by using the 'don't ask - don't tell' approach - after all, Lithium cells are 'sealed' and 'spill proof'.....

At this point the best option might be to do a 'dual use' option w/ lithium for home, and bricks for travel (possibly even cheap bricks if they only have to last as long as the trip....)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Irving » 08 Jul 2019, 15:34

Sadly my lithium pack wasn't ready in time, but I spoke to BA and they were quite OK with lithium batteries once they understood they were permanently fitted and protected against short circuits.

The official info from BA.com is:
If the lithium battery(ies) is securely attached to the wheelchair, scooter or mobility aid, it must remain in the device. The power must be disconnected/isolated so that it cannot be inadvertently activated. This can be achieved following the manufacturers instructions.

There is no maximum Watt-hour limit if the lithium battery(ies) remains in the device.

Where a lithium ion battery operated wheelchair, scooter or mobility aid contains a battery that is not securely attached to the device, the following steps must be taken:
  • The battery must be removed following the instructions of the manufacturer or device owner.
  • The removed batteries must be protected from short circuit (e.g. by covering or taping over exposed terminals).
  • In order to protect them from damage, place batteries individually in a protective pouch and take them with you as carry-on ‘cabin’ baggage.
  • The maximum battery size is 300Wh, or for devices fitted with two batteries, 160Wh each.
    You may also take one spare lithium ion battery at a maximum of 300Wh, or two spare batteries at a maximum of 160Wh each carried in accordance with the instructions above.

Though after this weekend's Virgin Atlantic incident who knows...
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jul 2019, 17:04

Thats exacly what it says on my BM3 page...

I wouldnt get on a plane with any small amount of lipo style or lithium ion type batteries of any capacity or lithium quantity unless it was in the passenger area where I can see it.

I would hapily fly on a plane with 10 tons of LiFePO4 cells in the hold. Powerchairs or otherwise.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Thierry » 30 Aug 2019, 19:18

Good afternoon,

If this is easy for you, is there an official document that guarantees that MK gel group 24 batteries have still ( in 2019) an internal resistance of 3.5 mOhms? I am maybe wrong but this does not seem to be indicated on their data sheets.
Is it possible to buy an adapter for plugging 2 charger output cables to obtain a 3 pin output, suited to a power wheelchair?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Thierry

Postby Irving » 30 Aug 2019, 19:32

Thierry wrote:Good afternoon,

If this is easy for you, is there an official document that guarantees that MK gel group 24 batteries have still ( in 2019) an internal resistance of 3.5 mOhms? I am maybe wrong but this does not seem to be indicated on their data sheets.
Is it possible to buy an adapter for plugging 2 charger output cables to obtain a 3 pin output, suited to a power wheelchair?

The connector to you need is a standard XLR audio connector

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192995527927
C5/6 A (complete)
Irving

Postby Thierry » 30 Aug 2019, 20:59

Irving wrote:

Yes, but how could I plug two charger cables for battery so that the output is an XLR (that I'll then plug daily to charge my wheelchair)?
I did not find any charger with XLR giving the correct values for GEL batteries.
Thierry

Postby Burgerman » 30 Aug 2019, 21:13

Correct values for Gel?

Some marine chargers, the PL8v2 that allows you to set the correct exact values, the power supply from Shirley in HK that is also a user adjustable 3 stage charger.

There are likely others, but its not easy to find. Certainly no mobility charger does it correctly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 30 Aug 2019, 21:16

Thierry wrote:
Irving wrote:

Yes, but how could I plug two charger cables for battery so that the output is an XLR (that I'll then plug daily to charge my wheelchair)?
I did not find any charger with XLR giving the correct values for GEL batteries.

What do you mean by "two charger cables for battery"? If you mean the red and black wires from a standard 24v charger then you have to solder them to pins 1 & 3 of the connector (an auto-electrician can do this). But most standard mobility chargers don't give the right charge & float voltages for Gel, but there are some products that do as BM already said.

Or do you mean 2 sets of red and black from two 12v chargers? You cannot do it that way at all.
C5/6 A (complete)
Irving

Postby Thierry » 31 Aug 2019, 00:08

Thank you. Indeed I can ask to an auto professional, I hoped that I could find a simpler way. Thanks burgerman for the references.
Thierry

Postby White Lightnin' » 20 Sep 2019, 01:29

What is the best power supply to use for charging Odyssey 1500 batteries now and also allowing me to charge a lithium battery pack later? I have 110 volt power system in the house. The lithium requires a pl8 from what I’ve been reading on this site. What will give me the 40-60 amps I need given I only have 110 volt current?
White Lightnin'

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2019, 07:08

Do a little mathematics.

The PL8 can charge at 40A and at 3.600V per cell thats a total of 28.80V on charge. If you use the manufactueres figure of 3.65V per cell thats 29.20V.

So 29.2V x 40A = a total OUTPUT of 1160 watts. Thats OUT. The charger is 80 to 85% efficient. So add say 20% more for total charger INPUT.
Thats now 1401 watts in. So realistically you will need a 1500 Watt 24V power supply to charge at 40A.

That means 1500 div by 24 = 60A Peak, max at 24V.

In reality, you can actually get away with a 40A power supply, as when battery voltage is low (which is why you are charging) then less watts are needed to do 40A. So anything from 40 to 60A will be good.

You have 16A? x 110V AC? Thats a max of around 1700 watts. So it shouldnt be a problem.

In the UK one of shirleys power supplies is great. It does 0 to 60V. And 0 to 50A. But thats 3000W and requires 240V AC. It also runs on 110V AC but not sure exactly what it will do. I think it may reduce max current to 25A? Someone may enlighten me.

Failing that theres many cheap server supplies, and bench power supplies etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2019, 07:10

Odyssey 1500 batts need as many Amps as you can feed them, up to 100 or more. I charge them at 30, 40, and at 50A all the time. And at 29.4V in series, for approx 8 to 10 hours if used in cyclic use, and from a bench power supply.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 20 Sep 2019, 08:37

U.S. 115V home wiring can be 15A (AWG 14 wires) or 20A (AWG 12 wires) and almost all circuits in remotely recent construction is 20A.
LROBBINS

Postby White Lightnin' » 20 Sep 2019, 15:33

Thank you for your replies. They are quite and very much appreciated. I’m taking from them I can buy anything that will give me 60 Amps and run it through a pl8 and the batteries will be fine. Has anyone in the states found a chargers they’ve found to be reliable or for that matter any they’ve found needed to relegated to the trash before it should have been necessary?
White Lightnin'

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2019, 17:08

The PL8 will work from about 3A upwards. It all depends how much charge power you need. So any supply thats around 24V and a few more amps than you need or wish to charge at.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 25 Sep 2019, 06:15

Burgerman wrote:Do a little mathematics.

You have 16A? x 110V AC? Thats a max of around 1700 watts. So it shouldnt be a problem.

In the UK one of shirleys power supplies is great. It does 0 to 60V. And 0 to 50A. But thats 3000W and requires 240V AC. It also runs on 110V AC but not sure exactly what it will do. I think it may reduce max current to 25A? Someone may enlighten me.

Failing that theres many cheap server supplies, and bench power supplies etc.

As Lenny mentioned, the standard 110V AC circuits in the US are either 15 or 20A, with new construction tending towards 20A, but I'd say the majority are still 15A.... Technically there are two different plug and outlet specs for 15 and 20A circuits, intended to keep idiots from plugging 20A devices into 15A circuits. The outlet design is such that a 20A outlet will accept either a 15 or 20A plug, but a 15A outlet will not accept a 20A plug.

The US electrical codes REQUIRE any device that needs more than 1500W to use the 20A style plug, and prohibit the installation of 20A compatible outlets on 15A circuits.... There are also limits on how many 20A outlets can be put on a 20A circuit, but one can put more outlets on many circuits if using 15A outlets, and the use of 20A outlets on any 20A circuit is optional... Thus many electricians avoid errors by only using 15A outlets....

The practical effect of all this, is that you will almost never see an appliance of any sort that draws more than 1500W as that avoids the need for special plugs that won't fit most outlets... This includes power supplies...

The only real exception are more or less 'fixed' appliances like window air conditioners or refrigerators where they can run a dedicated circuit and put a 20A outlet on it...

The Shirley supply does current limit to only about 25A when used in the US - there has been discussion about this in that thread. (It will do the full 50A on a US 220V circuit however)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Irving » 25 Sep 2019, 11:01

ex-Gooserider wrote:The US electrical codes REQUIRE any device that needs more than 1500W to use the 20A style plug, and prohibit the installation of 20A compatible outlets on 15A circuits.... There are also limits on how many 20A outlets can be put on a 20A circuit, but one can put more outlets on many circuits if using 15A outlets, and the use of 20A outlets on any 20A circuit is optional... Thus many electricians avoid errors by only using 15A outlets....

The practical effect of all this, is that you will almost never see an appliance of any sort that draws more than 1500W as that avoids the need for special plugs that won't fit most outlets... This includes power supplies...

Except most PSU, esp modded, and equipment designed for international markets, will use an IEC plug-in cable - there's nothing to stop a 15A-provisioned cable being plugged into kit capable of drawing 20A. My 2400W ex-Dell pair draws 11A on 240v when loaded to 100A output (2400W out @ 90% eff into 2 x PL8), but 17A on 110v (1500W out, 63A max, as measured) as efficiency drops to 75% at the lower input voltage. The IEC cable is labelled "15A max" but the only way to ensure that would be to manually limit the dual-PL8 input current to 2 x 27.5A @ 24v (or 1 @ 35A and 1 @ 20A, etc). Of course a single PL8 will never exceed 50A input anyway (13.6A @ 110v).
C5/6 A (complete)
Irving

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair