Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: AGM & GEL BATTERY INFO for POWERCHAIRS

Postby expresso » 22 Jun 2014, 15:55

i guess this is the correct way
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 22 Jun 2014, 17:09

If you put a volt meter across those two you will see 0 volts.

Its the two you didn't mark...

Please allow the service guy to do this.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 Jun 2014, 17:11

looking over the picture again - i think its the other way - i posted it wrong i think - i marked the cable that is used to jump them together - but the other loose connection plug is the one actually going into the chair end plug - so those posts would be the 24V since thats what is going to the chair -

the ones i marked are the jumper only - ? its easy to tell i dont know nothing about wires and electric stuff :?
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 22 Jun 2014, 17:45

Correct. See above!

Be sure to fit 2 fuses in your cables at the battery end. One on pos, one on Neg. It will protect the batteries from a short circuit if you do anything wrong, or if the cables get worn and touch etc.

If your charger is 20/25 amp fit a 30 Amp fuses.
Use these type. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-AMPERAGES ... 51b3bd3260

Bolt one to each terminal, and bolt your connections to the fuses.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 Jun 2014, 18:00

which is correct - the picture i posted marked - or the other way i mentioned on last post ? the picture shows the jumper marked - i though that was correct at first -

but now i think its the other set of posts which actually connect to the chair plug

which one is correct ?
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 22 Jun 2014, 18:47

Do you have a volt meter?

The picture is wrong.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 Jun 2014, 23:39

if that picture is wrong then its the other two posts - which connect to the chairs plug - i made a mistake with the picture

no i dont have a volt meter - dont know anyone who has one - i am sure the tech does - i will ask him to bring his - i dont find any place around where i live who sells a volt meter for a few dollars - i checked and found some for 35 dollars which i am never goin to use - i dont feel like just spending money for a volt meter for a one time use -

i am not sure what kind of volt meter i need - a digital one would be good - most i seen are very basic and cost over 20 dollars - the digital ones at least i can see the volts on a display cost over 35 dollars - radio shack around here is not like it use to be - they dont carry these things any longer -

its all about headphones or cell phones today - electronics store are basically gone now - its all online - so i didnt bother -

if my picture is wrong which i see the mistake - those are the just the jumper cables where i marked - its the other two posts which have to be the ones

are they 24 volt volt meter or just any volt meter would work ?
expresso

Postby robnnorthaustin » 23 Jun 2014, 00:22

Expresso, You can find small multimeters in almost every superstore...walmart target ect and in every home improvement store. If you are going to do any wiring on a scooter it is a must and by using the meter you will be able to answer most of the questions yourself. I think you would have to spend around $25 in one of the stores to get a meter with quality enough to use for your purposes but I try not to buy at the last moment which allows me to look online for the bext buy and to save quite abit on most purchases. Again the reason I think you should buy a meter is to understand why Bm says to make a certain connection rather then fol;lowing a picture as you will find that most pictures won't exactly match your needs and you can do much more damage then the small cost of a multimeter. Buy one based on the specs and your needs rather then the pictures and you will learn even more.
robnnorthaustin

Postby Blade Runner » 23 Jun 2014, 00:22

Go to home depot or lowes look for a low voltage tester, this one is $9 it's just a test light.
You have voltage it lights up no voltage no light.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender ... 202867886/
Or go to an auto parts store, buy a 24 volt truck tail light with wires.
You are over complicating this.
Bob
Blade Runner

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2014, 00:34

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

Dozens. In every store. Or eBay.

£2 ???

You don't need hi-tech, but you don't know what you are looking at. Batteries can do thousands of amps. Think smoke, bangs, flashes, and heat. Or burns and worse, like no house.

If you don't know for sure when looking at frankly obvious pictures I worry!

Let your tech guy do it with a fuse (or 2) preferably.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 23 Jun 2014, 00:40

like i said - i dont know anything about testing - volt meters etc, - i can look at a dozen on the shelf - all volt meters - all look different -
and around here - there arnt many in the stores - the help dont know themselves for sure - they take me to the section and thats it -

i wont be making these connections - its just to know for myself - i get it - if you have two batteries - one pos and one neg is your jump cables and other two are the ones you use - thats simple to understand now - the pictures i sent are the way its wired - which is confusing for a while unless you know what your looking for and understand what your looking at -

i am sure the Tech would know very easily - and i be watching him do it - i know its annoying when you try to teach a newbie about something thats so simple and easy to you - and hard to explain on here many times -

i like to thank everyone who posted - and of course burgerman very helpful - all the time -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2014, 00:45

Be sure that he fits at least, a fuse in the Pos cable. That is bigger than your charger. Use heavy cables!

I don't want you to have no house!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 23 Jun 2014, 01:07

the cables are 8 guage -

wait - now he has to add a fuse also ? all this time - i had to just connect two wires and charge direct -

i though i was ready with the wires and charger - i didnt know anything about adding a fuse ?

what am i missing now ? all this time i was under the impression - reading here everyone says just add two wires make a direct connection and thats it

i feel like this isnt going to work out anymore :(
expresso

Postby shirley_hkg » 23 Jun 2014, 06:35

;)

AS you, yourself and BG said, your picture is wrong. Just connect your new port to the other 2 ends.

You have fuse already , one on each battery. Lift the red caps and you will see them there.
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2014, 09:46

You are worrying too much. Let the repair guy do it. This stuff is really basic and will be obvious to him. Don't even watch.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby robnnorthaustin » 23 Jun 2014, 14:38

Burgerman wrote: Don't even watch.

LOL :)
robnnorthaustin

Postby expresso » 23 Jun 2014, 14:40

yeah i got worried too much is correct - i made a purchase - and got everything i believe i needed - i want to have everything the tech will need when he does come so he can do it for me that same day - my chair has to be taken apart -

to get to the batteries - its not as simple as the 646 which just slide out - i could have checked those already - i havnt checked how mines are - the pictures are of a friends chair - but i would think its the same way on mines -

i know for sure my chair has a RESET button - its under my chair seat on the base of the chair in the battery box area - if something ever went wrong - i would have to reset it there - just push it down - in over 15 years with this type of chair - i never had to use that button -

what that means i am not sure if the RESET button replaces fuses or not - i believe i looked at the repair manual a while back and did see a diagram of the wiring and believe i seen a fuse on each one in the wiring - when he comes i will see for sure if its under the Red caps

all i want to know for sure is if i have all thats needed - charger has the connection on it - i had a set of wires made with rings and the connection for the charger end also - its 8 guage - about 2 feet long - thats it - i hate to have to not have it done because i am missing something i didnt know i needed thats all

so if there is anything else i need to get or do - let me know - i am excited about doing this and worried at the same time - I wont be doing the work myself - i am smart enough to know that i dont know about this type of stuff enough to not worry :)

thanks for all the input !!
expresso

Postby expresso » 23 Jun 2014, 15:05

OK - heres the same picture - This must be the correct way then ??
expresso

Postby robnnorthaustin » 23 Jun 2014, 15:11

expresso wrote:
so if there is anything else i need to get or do - let me know -

A few here already gave you a very important suggestions about fuse's but I'm not sure from your answer if you freaked out or didn't believe them. Fuses are a pretty necessary item when you are adding on do it yourself item. You may already have fuses under the plastic boots but I can't see through them but I would add a fuse in my charging cables regardless. But this has already been suggested so I'm being redundant. sorry.
robnnorthaustin

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2014, 15:19

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-AMPERAGES ... 51b3bd3260

SEE LINK.

Order 2 of these in 30A and give them to your tech guy. He will bolt them to the batteries, and bolt your cables on to the fuses. Then no amount of shorting out, mis connection, or chafed cables will result in smoke and fire.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 23 Jun 2014, 16:36

Burgerman wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-AMPERAGES-AMPS-MIDI-FUSE-30-150amp-HIGH-CURRENT-MIDI-AUTO-CAR-FUSES-/350907871840?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item51b3bd3260

SEE LINK.

Order 2 of these in 30A and give them to your tech guy. He will bolt them to the batteries, and bolt your cables on to the fuses. Then no amount of shorting out, mis connection, or chafed cables will result in smoke and fire.

ok i will try to get them in time - i notice they have different volt types - i would need a 24 volt 30 amp fuse ? i was not able to pick when ordering - just the amount i want and amp size - nothing about volts - but its clear they are marked with different volts
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2014, 16:59

The ones I linked to are correct.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 23 Jun 2014, 17:11

Your chair surely already has a fuse or circuit breaker, BUT the fuses that John and Rob are talking about are those. The one (or ones) already on the chair are between the batteries and the controller, and protect from shorts within the chair wiring or the controller. The fuses you SHOULD add go between the batteries and the charger connector and will protect you and your chair and the charger from mistakes in connecting the charger.
Ciao,
Lenny
LROBBINS

Postby expresso » 23 Jun 2014, 17:30

i see - would it make a difference if the charger has fuses in it already - input fuse and output fuse - it has both built in the charger -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2014, 17:52

No. And it may have. They are to protect the charger.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 23 Jun 2014, 18:40

i just tried to order them but the seller dosnt ship to my address - in the states - cant seem to find those here in the US on ebay -

will keep looking - strange nothing in the States ?
expresso

Postby CottonSwabby » 23 Jun 2014, 18:43

I have a question for you on the odyssey batteries...would these work?

http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/31m-pc2150st-m?pp=12
CottonSwabby

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2014, 18:52

Those are a huge 330mm long. So wont fit. Otherwise yes, they will work. They are, like all odyssey batteries Pure lead AGM.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 23 Jun 2014, 19:28

Here's a U.S. seller for midi automotive fuses. Seems like the smallest he has is 50A though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-80A-Midi-Fuse-/151322261293?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Fuses_Fuse_Holders&hash=item233b82772d
Here's a U.K. seller that does ship to the U.S., but the shipping is pretty steep for such a low value item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-40-50-60-70-80-100AMP-MIDI-STRIP-LINK-FUSES-HOLDERS-/221254711300?pt=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&var=&hash=item791bb7df6d#shpCntId
If you have a largish auto supply store not too far away, they are also likely to stock them. Might have to go out to Queens though as Manhattan real estate prices are not attractive for that kind of business!
Ciao,
Lenny
LROBBINS

Postby expresso » 24 Jun 2014, 02:33

thanks lenny - i will check those out - you wont believe it but here in NYC - you be surprised - you cant find all this stuff as easy as you may think - Radio Shack used to be great - at one time - if you needed anything you find it there -
the hardware stores here - the help know less than i do - i never find what i want - i am going to the west side tomorrow at a Auto Store - and see if they have anything - i will check amazon and the links you posted -

i spoke to a few more people - and i feel ok with the fact - it has fuses in there already at the Pos posts - all i would be doing is adding a cable to the same post with the fuse - i was told its fine - but wont hurt to add a fuse either -

i will try to get one anyway - i am sure it be a few weeks before i get the new batteries approved - making my calls tomorrow to my vendor - doc. etc, who ever to follow up - one way or another - i want to get it done - and i wont be doing it so should be fine either way -

i would feel better just knowing theres a fuse there now that i know - but once i use it a few times and see its fine - i wont worry as much - but thanks again for everyone who posted and i hope to post back when its done finally -

i see what i can find tomorrow - i like to stock up on some other fuses also - in the new charger i have two fuses - both different - so i want to get a few of those in case - and a few other ones in my smaller charger - if i knew this before i ordered the wires - i could have had the guy add a fuse inline already made - i just didnt know - since i am just adding the cables - not removing anything from its original state - it didnt cross my mind -
expresso

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair