Prides new Q6 the Edge powerchair

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Prides new Q6 the Edge powerchair

Postby ex-Gooserider » 23 Sep 2011, 06:22

I have been a big fan of head-mount lamps for a long time - since I used to work as a deckhand on the Mississippi River back in the early 80's... The LED models are a big improvement over the big 6V flashlight style lamps I used back then...

Most of the LED models these days run on 2-3 AAA size batteries, which IMHO is the cheapest size to maintain. If you want lower key, there are "baseball hat" style units that typically seem to have 2-3 LED's built into the brim, they are nice but use a relatively pricey "coin" style battery...

Either style is great IMHO, as it puts light where you are looking, and leaves your hands free to do other stuff... They are a bit of a pain when dealing with other folks, as the "light where you look" approach does mean that you are shining your light right in the eyes of anyone you make eye contact with, but this is easy enough to handle, either turn it off, or hold it in your hand....

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby bigpianoguy » 18 May 2013, 06:07

You keep mentioning a 4" optional drive wheel - I've never seen that offered, at least not on the Pride website. Link, please?
bigpianoguy

Postby Twinpanther » 18 May 2013, 17:34

bigpianoguy wrote:You keep mentioning a 4" optional drive wheel - I've never seen that offered, at least not on the Pride website. Link, please?

Check out page 2 of this link:

If you are interested in this you should be able to call the number listed. My supplier offered these tires for $500 (Not covered by my insurance BTW). Good Luck!
Twinpanther

Postby bigpianoguy » 18 May 2013, 18:59

Thanks!
Is this new? There certainly wasn't anything like this listed in my parts list from 2 years ago, not to mention the grief I got from the company & my tech support when I asked about wider tires...

Question #2: My tech has said that he can show me how to wire car headlights & a horn off the batteries, and assures me that the power drain is not worth mentioning. True?
bigpianoguy

Postby LROBBINS » 18 May 2013, 19:09

Question #2: My tech has said that he can show me how to wire car headlights & a horn off the batteries, and assures me that the power drain is not worth mentioning. True?

IF the lights are wired so that they run at 24V and don't draw from just one battery, you can do this. If you draw 12V for the lights, even low current lights, you will unbalance the batteries and SERIOUSLY reduce their life. If you use LED lights, the drain is indeed not worth mentioning. If you use normal automotive headlamp bulbs, though, you're going to seriously cut into your range.

There have been a lot of posts here about lighting possibilities, so you might want to search the forums and take a look a Burgerman's pages, the "parent" pages of the forum, and read up a bit.

Ciao,
Lenny
LROBBINS

Postby bigpianoguy » 18 May 2013, 19:11

Also (excuse me, I'm so new to all this...) - is there a balloon-type terrain tyre that would work with the 4" rims?

Thanks.
bigpianoguy

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2013, 19:31

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-10-4-47cc-4 ... 2a22e07e02

But not good on casters. I have lots here. The caster needs to go where its shoved, it does not want to grip, or steering isn't good.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 May 2013, 19:37

Unless you mean the pride 4 inch wide tyres/wheels?

The rims are not 4 inches wide. They are about 3 wide. The tyre is 4. The problem with those is that they are just 1 inch wider than stock, and a generic tread pattern used on many trailers/bikes/industrial stuff and its not really "all terrain". And more importantly its not got the big cross section needed for low pressures and higher floatation. Although better than stock.

If you wanted fatter tyres you would need wider rims too. For eg the tyres used on the X5 and my chairs are 145/70 - 6. On a 6 inch diameter, 4.5 inch wide rim.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Blade Runner » 19 May 2013, 00:32

Blade Runner

Postby sacharlie » 19 May 2013, 12:50

In the above link the smallest tire is 3.50-8 so would that be 15" OD as in 3.5+3.5+8=15?
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 19 May 2013, 13:05

Yes.

1/2 inch taller ride height, but because the stock rim is a little narrower than ideal, lowering the pressure results in a nicer ride and some ride height loss (compensates). You need to make sure that theres 1/4 inch or more clearance on the stock horrid grey tyres though, or they will not fit. Unless the wheel is spaced outwards on some washers for eg. Total chair width will end up about 1 inch wider.

You will get slightly less torque and range, and slightly more speed. But it isn't much.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair