PINNED - Plug & Play PGDT for Radio Control

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Plug & Play PGDT for Radio Control

Postby Burgerman » 27 Nov 2015, 16:59

Should be. That's how my old non digital RC interface works for 15 years.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby BOGGIT » 11 Dec 2015, 17:12

Hi
Has any one perfected a plug and play unit that a RC dummie like me could fit ?
We have a Alber A10 Adventure
Cheers in advance
BOGGIT

Postby Burgerman » 11 Dec 2015, 17:56

Well yes. But that depends on your definition of dummy!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 11 Dec 2015, 18:17

I have recently installed a R/C interface on a Alber E motion ...
This was for the "Army" as part of an inter dept challenge that involved building a remote control mobile platform with a spud gun attached.

The Alber joystick ... on this ...was a different model type to that used by Penny and Giles ...still a JC2000 but has an opposite sense on the X,Y axis necessitating the use of an additional piggy backed digipot.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby BOGGIT » 11 Dec 2015, 18:29

Burgerman wrote:Well yes. But that depends on your definition of dummy!

That would be me lol as never done a thing RC other than a small boat kit when I was a kid ( long time ago lol )

At the moment use the chair with the control at the back to get our son out and about when walking the dogs
The position is far from used friendly, and was wondering about RC as an alternative, but having no experience of conversation was looking for a reliable plug and play unit

woodygb wrote:I have recently installed a R/C interface on a Alber E motion ...
This was for the "Army" as part of an inter dept challenge that involved building a remote control mobile platform with a spud gun attached.

The Alber joystick ... on this ...was a different model type to that used by Penny and Giles ...still a JC2000 but has an opposite sense on the X,Y axis necessitating the use of an additional piggy backed digipot.

Most of that went way over my head lol as I say I'm total beginner at this sort of thing lol
BOGGIT

Postby Burgerman » 11 Dec 2015, 18:36

Well you dont need to be a rocket scientist (are rockt scientists really that clever?). But you do need some basic skills and understanding, as while its kind of plug and play its not exactly user freindly to set up or install.

Find yourself a hobbyist. That said I wouldnt want to rely on this as a control system wih a human on board if they were not able to hit a stop button in case anything fails.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 11 Dec 2015, 18:37

Well ...I can make something that is fairly simple IF you don't require remote ON/OFF and don't mind taking the joystick pod apart.

NOTE installation also requires the cutting of a small nick in the plastic of the joystick pod to allow a 6mm/1/4" cable to enter/exit.

Also note that control via Android phone is available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0selHNr ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSqNKhaaMpg

But as B.M. say's this is NOT intended for driving someone about via remote control.... but is really for moving an EMPTY chair.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby BOGGIT » 11 Dec 2015, 19:04

Am fine with anything engineering wise just US at electronics
What is the main concerns with using RC with a passenger on board ?
Wouldn't be further than 10feet away just to give the passenger more personal space while out and about
Or would it be better to get a longer cable ? Just that the controls are a bit bulky to hold and operate
BOGGIT

Postby Burgerman » 11 Dec 2015, 19:10

Well in the event of a radio signal being blocked, if set up correctly it just stops. But in the event of some electrical failure of something odd happening with phone software, or the code or hardware in WoodyGBs RC interface, its possible that you could get a runaway chair. Backwards, forwards, spinning, possibly under a bus.

Its very unlikely. But theres always some possibility. Never happened to me yet. I drove my dog, and exGF miles like that, as well as empty chairs. But it remains a tiny possibility. So its best that any occupant knows this and has a stop button just in case.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 22 Dec 2015, 08:05

As BM said, the potential for a 'runaway' in any form if something goes wrong... Radio interference, controller hardware failure, etc... An 'attendant stick' at least will (if working properly) return to zero giving an immediate stop if you let go of it - awkward at times, but safe....

ANY sort of RC control removes that (though some controllers do stop on signal loss) so our standing recommendation is that one should NEVER use RC on an occupied chair UNLESS the occupant has the physical and mental capabilities of operating an emergency kill switch 100% reliably...

ex-Gooserider

BOGGIT wrote:Am fine with anything engineering wise just US at electronics
What is the main concerns with using RC with a passenger on board ?
Wouldn't be further than 10feet away just to give the passenger more personal space while out and about
Or would it be better to get a longer cable ? Just that the controls are a bit bulky to hold and operate
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby jwSubMOA » 13 Apr 2016, 07:01

Hello all. It has been sime time since I checked in here. Does this interface work with the various versions of the Rnet 120? In the US I have one company that uses the AMT 4poles and Rnet system that will deal with my medical fund. I had to buy an Amy Systems Alltrack R so they would sell me parts. I have plenty of spares motors now and am trying Rnet for the first time. If this is not directly adaptable to the joysticks, could it be interfaced with the Omni module if necessary?
jwSubMOA

Postby woodygb » 13 Apr 2016, 09:00

The interface can be made to suit either the Rnet joystick or an Omni.

However the joystick version requires some modification by the end user of the joystick housing ( a small nick in the casing to allow a 1/4" diameter wire to pass thru..) and the connection ( soldering ) of 3 wires inside the pod.

The Omni version simply requires some parameters to be set via the Omni's menu.

Note that Android bluetooth control version is available instead of the R/C.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0selHNrN ... e=youtu.be
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby gcebiker » 13 Apr 2016, 09:46

Oh that is a much better video than mine - good to know what to try and video.
I will do another one sometime if its necessary for a VSI style controller.
http://greenmobility.com.au/rc-wheelchair-controller/
My YouTube Ch -- https://www.youtube.com/user/gcebiker
gcebiker

Postby woodygb » 13 Apr 2016, 10:25

There is no difference in the actual interface box for any of the Penny & Giles range ...it's just the possible position of the internal connection points inside the pod ...for power and ON/OFF... that vary.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby jwSubMOA » 13 Apr 2016, 19:50

Excellent! I will send you a PM reqarding ordering.
jwSubMOA

Postby ivorprob » 20 Oct 2016, 13:26

Hello all
Now this will let everyone know my tech knowledge and after reading lots of post on this forum the silly questions start. How do I get a Bluetooth thingy to control my lightweight chair with VR2 control on my smart phone

cheers Ivor
ivorprob

Postby woodygb » 20 Oct 2016, 13:29

I could sell you one ... NOTE:- YOU will need to solder 3 connections inside the pod and put a small nick in the join.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby ivorprob » 20 Oct 2016, 14:21

Thanks Woody

sent you a message. wish I had found this site long ago
ivorprob

Postby Techguy » 15 Jan 2017, 20:53

Hey woody, great work you've done here. I'm interested in being able to use some scrapped rnet parts to build a r/c snow pusher.

From what I understand the joystick is looking for a voltage signal. What are you using to control the joystick from the gimbal?

I'm new to modifying these electronics, however as a fairly new mobility tech I have good understand of the principles at work.

I have a few arduino micros kicking around I'd like to use for something like this. I just don't know where to start.
Techguy

Postby woodygb » 15 Jan 2017, 23:33

I use an Arduino and digipot to replicate the joysticks voltage swing.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Techguy » 16 Jan 2017, 01:01

Thanks,

I don't really want to re-invent the wheel with this. Would you be willing to share your schematic and sketch?
Techguy

Postby thecleancompany » 17 Apr 2017, 17:41

Hey BM

I took the brakes off of a pair of Fracmo power chair motors to allow me to use my Roboteq motor controller with my DX6 long ago and lost the brakes. Now I want to use a PG Pilot controller with the same motors to test another platform but only have the black and red wires from the motors. Can I set up the PG Pilot controller with only the black and red wires or does it have to have the brakes as part of the configuration to function?

Im still working on my beach power chairs too. Its a labor or love.
thecleancompany

Postby Burgerman » 17 Apr 2017, 18:04

Add a resistor in place of a brake. Anything around say 100 ohm or whatever works. Its expecting to see a 100 to 15 ohm brake. Maybe even a 200 or 470 ohm will fool it. And get less hot and wast less power.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby thecleancompany » 17 Apr 2017, 18:07

Thank you!
thecleancompany

Postby ex-Gooserider » 17 Apr 2017, 23:59

Note that you need to be using a reasonably sized power resistor, not a small one like used on most circuit boards... As a quick replacement, I believe the 'dropping resistors' one uses in a car when switching the turn signals from incandescent bulbs to LED's is a good choice... I prefer the ones with metal shells to the ceramic ones because I think they are more durable, but it doesn't make much difference electrically. It is also a good idea to attach the resistors to some metal part that can act as a heat sink...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby Rye » 01 Jun 2017, 19:38

Has anyone connected the Woodygb RC interface to an Rnet joystick? I'm trying to locate the solder points on the circuit board. If you have any pictures I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Permobil C350/C300, Quickie P-222, Magic Mobility V6 Off-Road
Rye

Postby woodygb » 01 Jun 2017, 19:55

I'd suggest that you use the connections on the back of the charge port for power .
rnet charge port.jpg
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Glitch » 22 Jul 2017, 23:26

Hi guys,
I've been reading this thread but my knowledge on the subject is weak so I'm gonna upgrade my brain. I'd like to know from the masters, where should I start? Ultimately, my goal is to use mostly spare/old parts to build myself a remote controlled snow plow chair.
I have been a para for 30 years so I have a good collection of parts.
I'd be starting with an x5 frame and guts.
Anyway I guess my question would be can you guys give me a few subjects that you'd consider must have knowledge in order to complete my project?

Thanks,
Brian
Glitch

Postby gcebiker » 23 Jul 2017, 12:19

Glitch wrote:Hi guys,
I've been reading this thread but my knowledge on the subject is weak so I'm gonna upgrade my brain. I'd like to know from the masters, where should I start? Ultimately, my goal is to use mostly spare/old parts to build myself a remote controlled snow plow chair.
Anyway I guess my question would be can you guys give me a few subjects that you'd consider must have knowledge in order to complete my project?

Thanks,
Brian

First step if you are going to use the X5, if you are able , can you post a picture of the controller ?
...tho others may know what it is, I've no idea.

There is a tab at the bottom of the page that lets you upload an attachment or alternatively you could email it to me if you like and i will post it for you.

Once we know what controller you have, we can better guide you on the shortest/cheapest route to take.

Woody's remote plugs into a lot of controllers that are VSI 'like' with the JC2000 joystick module in them.
http://greenmobility.com.au/rc-wheelchair-controller/
My YouTube Ch -- https://www.youtube.com/user/gcebiker
gcebiker

Postby ex-Gooserider » 25 Jul 2017, 00:52

Welcome... This is an international board, so it is helpful if you can go up to the "User Control Panel" near the top of the board and put in your location (at least country). This helps us give pointers to more useful (local) sources and so on...

In terms of the 'brain upgrade' I'd say that some depends on what you already know, but if you've been working on your chairs for a few years, you probably know the mechanical stuff fairly well... Therefore I'd say that the best starting place is to work on learning basic electricity and electronics... Get to know Ohm's Law forwards, backwards and in all it's combinations... Understand Volts, Amps, Ohms, and how they all inter-relate. Learn to solder if you don't already know. Get to know the basic components and at least generally what they do and how to recognize them... If you want to get more advanced, learn a bit about micro-controllers (the Arduino is a good starting point)... A couple of good sources for intro electronics stuff are Sparkfun and AdaFruit - they sell a lot of nice kits and have a lot of good intro information on their websites....

On the mechanical side, another factor is how much access you have to the equipment, but learning welding and machining is good to know - always handy to be able to make your own parts....

ex-Gooserider

Glitch wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks,
Brian
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair