PINNED - Plug & Play PGDT for Radio Control

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PINNED - Plug & Play PGDT for Radio Control

Postby Rye » 02 Jun 2018, 05:49

I switched the wires and it didn't seem to change anything. Any other tests or physical things I can check on the interface?
Permobil C350/C300, Quickie P-222, Magic Mobility V6 Off-Road
Rye

Postby woodygb » 02 Jun 2018, 13:33

I can only think that the Mono plug is permanently ON ...thus creating a continuous button push effect.

Re calibration of the 3 channels would be my next suggestion.... put the Rudder lead back first.
However ...I recall that you mentioned in one of your emails that the calibration no longer works ... is that correct?

If you have no joy you should try un-soldering the yellow wire of the Mono plug ...then insert the plug back into the OMNI and then see if it's possible to manually turn it ON.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Rye » 04 Jun 2018, 12:51

woodygb wrote:However ...I recall that you mentioned in one of your emails that the calibration no longer works ... is that correct?

I was referring to the OMNI JS calibration, but I have since got that to work and I can drive my chair with the transmitter. I've done the interface calibration several times and it doesn't change anything with the rudder/throttle stick. Should I calibrate the sticks one at a time or together? Should I calibrate with the MONO plug in the OMNI jack?
Rye

Postby woodygb » 04 Jun 2018, 13:24

ALL sticks must be calibrated ... during the same 20 sec time period.

Try with the Mono Plug disconnected from the OMNI.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Rye » 06 Jun 2018, 04:12

So far no luck getting it to work through calibration. I did find, however, a setting under Controls>Global>External On/Off Jack Detect. It was set to On so I turned it off to see what would happen, but nothing. There is also a Limp setting. Also, under Controls>Global>External Profile Jack Function>Profile/Mode Jack it gives the option to choose between a MONO or STEREO plug. It was set on MONO so I tried STEREO and nothing happened. I haven't tried de-soldering the yellow wire yet.
Rye

Postby woodygb » 06 Jun 2018, 22:41

If all else fails I will send you a separate R/C ON/OFF box F.O.C.
I have in anticipation of it being a failure of my interface already bought in a Turnigy receiver controlled ON/OFF switch which will be combined with a 5v relay and Mono jack plug/lead.

IF disconnecting the yellow lead allows the OMNI to be turned ON/OFF with the Jack plug inserted then it is a problem with my interface.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2018, 00:23

I think I have a similar issue.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 07 Jun 2018, 00:33

I have a NEW build started for you to try with 2 relays and ... as you requested.... hopefully a 4th channel for the 2nd relay .
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby tommyboyc » 21 Jun 2018, 06:59

I am slowly reading through this thread, so please forgive me if these were answered already. I would like to turn either my Jet 3 Ultra or Jazzy 1170 XL into a RC Lawnmower for the summer and RC Plow for the winter. Temporarily, if possible. The mower would most likely be something that is pull behind and I would figure out some sort of attachment for a small plow on the front. Both are in working order right now. I need to be able to do this in the cheapest possible way since medical bills seem to outweigh any "fun toy" stuff. How many channels are needed for the remote control? I currently have a Revo 3.3 with a 3 channel remote if that would work (would still need a receiver). If not, I could probably sneak a Turnigy TGY-i6 past the SPC (spouse purchasing committee). I have some RC knowledge, slowly learning electronics, and a little bit of mechanical know how. I have Lupus, Stiff Person Syndrome, Gastroparesis, Small Fiber Neuropathy, and diabetes to name a few so I am not able to do the above tasks on my own.

Jet 3 Ultra
https://www.southwestmedical.com/replac ... bly-gc-vsi
D1 ELEASMB5042 CONTROLLER, VSI, ASSY, 4 KEY, 50 AMP, W/FLYING LEADS, ULTRA SERIES/J600 PROGRAM

Jazzy 1170 XL Plus
https://www.southwestmedical.com/replac ... r-assembly
F1 CTLDC1378 CONTROLLER, VSI, 4 KEY, 70 AMP, W/RIGHT ANGLE CONNECTOR, H-1010-080, (P&G: D50376)

Turnigy TGY-i6 AFHDS Transmitter and 6CH Receiver (Mode 2)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-tgy ... ode-2.html

Thank you,
Tom
tommyboyc

Postby woodygb » 21 Jun 2018, 08:02

3 Channels is fine and you might be able to strip the receiver out from your Revo.

If not ...one of these might fit the bill.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6519

Either of those 2 chairs is fine for conversion.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby tommyboyc » 21 Jun 2018, 09:50

Thank you Woodygb! I think I will plan on purchasing the Turnigy TGY-i6 to give me more options. My next few questions, are how do I connect the receiver to my chair controls? Is there a pinout of the Jet 3 Ultra controller? There are 8 pins coming from the joystick. Do the pins correspond directly to the receiver controls? Am I skipping a step here somewhere? I saw mention of an OMNI R/C Interface, is that something else that is needed in between the receiver and the chair controller? Sorry for all of the questions.

Thank you,
Tom
tommyboyc

Postby woodygb » 21 Jun 2018, 10:09

You need to make an interface that sits between the joystick and the board.

I use and Arduino pro mini and a digipot.

DSCF0004.JPG

002 aa.jpg
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jun 2018, 10:10

You might also make it autominous. I tried RC and its hard work. This comes out every day for an hour at 12am, keeps the grass short, then puts itself back on charge ready for the following day.
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/fastmower.mp4

Speeded up of course.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tommyboyc » 21 Jun 2018, 10:22

I have an arduino and a few mini's around here somewhere. I have not dug into them yet, so I am a complete noob as far as they are concerned. Any chance you could help with the wiring schematic for your arduino mini pro? I saw a small code snippet a few pages back. I should be able to figure something out there.

Thank you,
Tom
tommyboyc

Postby Rye » 03 Jul 2018, 00:54

I can control the drive and turn the OMNI off, but I can't turn the OMNI ON using the transmitter. 12v SLEEP is turned on. Any suggestions?
Rye

Postby woodygb » 03 Jul 2018, 09:05

Rye and I discussed this problem last night.

He has one of my interfaces ...for the interface to work it requires a PERMANENT 12v feed from the R-net OMNI .

When the OMNI is ON a 12v feed is present ...but when it is turned OFF the 12v feed also turns OFF ...thus the interface power also turns OFF.

So ...Is there a parameter to set that will allow a PERMANENT 12v supply from the OMNI whether it is ON or OFF ?
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2018, 09:14

Yes. And he says its set to on. Unless that only works with sleep. That option isnt available on the IOM. Which is why I did the modification to give 24V permanantly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 03 Jul 2018, 09:18

The sleep parameter is set to ON.

Turning OFF the OMNI via the ON/OFF socket seems to also turn OFF the 12v supply to the interface.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 03 Jul 2018, 09:23

Question for you John as you have an OMNI setup ... can you turn the OMNI , ON and OFF via your interface?
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby LROBBINS » 03 Jul 2018, 09:37

Woody,

Is your interface using a switching converter like this?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/switching-regulators/1247657/
If so, you can safely power it from 24V instead of 12V.
LROBBINS

Postby woodygb » 03 Jul 2018, 09:48

Yes it is Lenny and I use the 24v from the battery on other builds.

I have however supplied a few OMNI interfaces using the 12v OMNI supply and thus far no one has reported / mentioned this disappearing 12v supply problem .
So A.T.M I am simply trying to ascertain if it is possible to have a PERMANENT 12V supply or not.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2018, 10:49

On the pilot plus system. Dont know becauses while I can turn it off, I do not have the 12v ON set. Since it would discharge the battery of any chair left stored by running the RC reciever via your interface? Or do we use the 5V out for that? Cant quite remember how that all works now, was years ago!

I also cant test that to find out right now as I am stuck on my bed. But I was under the impression the 12V stays on permanantly from memory. But maybe not the 5, in the event we use that for RX power?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2018, 11:05

In the r-net Omni, in the programmer, a mouse over says:

Maintains the 12V supply when the omni is ASLEEP.

So it appears that its only going to work if you configure the system to sleep, and remain on. And from memory which is gradually coming back its the same on the Pilot omni plus version. So a permanant voltage will need to be applied as per my modded IOM unit.

The R-Net can GRAB whichever module turns on the system as the unit in control. Then it can use a specific profile for that input too. So its best to add a permanant supply.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 03 Jul 2018, 11:06

The OMNI's 12v supplies both the receiver and the interface with 5v ...if it isn't present when the OMNI is turned OFF via the R/C , then it will not be possible to turn it back ON via the R/C.... thus a physical ON button press would be required to get the interface working again.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 03 Jul 2018, 11:08

Burgerman wrote:In the r-net Omni, in the programmer, a mouse over says:

Maintains the 12V supply when the omni is ASLEEP.

So it appears that its only going to work if you configure the system to sleep, and remain on. And from memory which is gradually coming back its the same on the Pilot omni plus version. So a permanant voltage will need to be applied as per my modded IOM unit.

Bum!! :cussing

So you used your ON/OFF to JUST turn OFF your OMNI?
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2018, 11:09

And it needs to be at the OMNI for the system to use that as th control input. So a fixed live is realy needed at the omni.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 03 Jul 2018, 11:13

I get it ...but my previous understanding was that the 12v COULD be made permanent.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2018, 11:18

Well a 24V permenant is pretty easy to arrange. As per the simple IOM mod. 1 tiny wire and 1 tiny .5A polyfuse just in case. Takes under 5 mins to do. The same will apply to the r-nets Omni.

I added an on/off switch too, so in long term storage the RC reciever + interface doesent drain the battery. But it will be left on for 3 or 4 days at a time. Depending on current.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7739&p=116598&hilit=iom+mod#p116566
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 03 Jul 2018, 11:27

On MouseOver, the Sleep 12v reads "Sets whether the 12v supply is present on the D-type connector when the OMNI is asleep." Port 1 and Port 2 should have power, right?
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2018, 11:29

When ASLEEP but not when OFF.

You are going to need to do this, to the Omni, as I did to the IO unit.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7739&p=116598&hilit=iom+mod#p116566
Burgerman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair