PG Programmer - GC-2 Controller

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

PG Programmer - GC-2 Controller

Postby larry350 » 24 May 2014, 03:14

I've been poking around the forums a bit trying to learn about controller programming. I downloaded the software from PG Drives (dealer version) and accidentally clicked "preset" under the "controller" menu. OOPS. Now it only goes backwards and turns, no straight-forward driving anymore. I get a "unknown unit sub type" error when connecting the computer to the controller (using a similar interface to the KW cable) and can't make any changes or write to the controller. I'm guessing I don't have the right TAG file for the GC2 controller as the VSI controller will read and gives me the option to write (though I had to rename the TAG file back to "C" because it complained about not being able to find a TAG file).

Sorry for my ignorance... I'll do more reading and be more careful what gets clicked!
larry350

Re: PG Programmer - GC-2 Controller

Postby falco peregrinus » 24 May 2014, 15:02

A couple of points pop to mind. Firstly, as far as I know, the software that is downloadable from PG Drives Remote Service Centre is Standard version, not Dealer Version, and it does NOT allow you to make changes to the program. (I'm not sure whether it allows you to actually Preset the controller - ie, restore it to factory defaults - or not. I would have thought not. So the reason you can't make changes now is because that version never did allow changes. It is intended solely for the purpose of reading an existing program off one controller and writing that program to another, identical model controller.

So I'm mystified by the
only goes backwards and turns, no straight-forward driving anymore.
No ideas on that one. Sorry.

As for "unknown unit sub type" error, I suspect that you developed a communication problem (the cable perhaps?) sometime AFTER you successfully established connection. I'd be inclined to deinstall and reinstall the software and try again, with the default names on all software components, and start from scratch, saving as you go and documenting everything you do (and the outcome) as you go.

What may be useful to you with that software is that it is possible to PRINT the current configuration of the controller, even though it isn't possible to display it on screen. There is no Print option on the menu, but there is a print icon on the toolbar which works fine. The printout is very revealing and useful.

It doesn't seem to be possible to use that software to read the program from one type of controller and write that same configuration to another - which I think is a serious and surprising oversight by PGDT. I've tried, and failed.

You talk about GC2 controller and VSI controller. VSI, fine. I'm familiar with that. (And by the way, you can't read a VSI program and write it out to a New VSI controller.) GC2 controller? Sorry, not familiar with that one. I'm not understanding what you're trying to do there, with what sounds like two different controller types, one of which I don't recognise as a PGDT product.

If you can provide some more information about what you're trying to do, and post a printout of the configuration/ program that you are working with, someone might be able to offer more useful suggestions than I've come up with here.

Edit - I googled for GC-2 controller and found http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... QCIdYipJyw. The manual has PRIDE all over it, so the GC2 may be customised and may not work with PGDT software. I'm still none the wiser as to whether it is a PGDT product or someone elses. Pride use controllers from various companies now.

Falco.
falco peregrinus

Postby falco peregrinus » 24 May 2014, 15:14

One hint that it is not PGDT is that I can't find anything on the PGDT website that looks anything like the GC-2 pictured on the cover of the Pride manual.

Falco
falco peregrinus

Postby Burgerman » 24 May 2014, 15:30

It may still be. Pride rebrand stuff so it looks like its their own.

But FIRMWARE may be different and it may communicate but not correctly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby larry350 » 24 May 2014, 17:58

Thanks for the tips, I'll try doing a print-out and see what shows up. Also, I failed to post the full model number, it's eleasmb4939 as was mentioned in 440roadrunner's post a couple years back. I'm not sure if it will even let me write to it but maybe the "cloning" idea is worth a try.
larry350

Postby larry350 » 24 May 2014, 18:06

Also, this is what I'm using for the chair interface, it has the FTDI FT232RL chip on board. It seems to work well for other TTL purposes but I have a cable similar to the Kenwood cable mentioned so I might try that as well.
larry350

Postby larry350 » 25 May 2014, 00:48

falco peregrinus wrote:So I'm mystified by the
only goes backwards and turns, no straight-forward driving anymore.
No ideas on that one. Sorry.

Strangely enough, it had dropped to a 0% maximum forward speed. Makes sense, I just don't know why the "preset" nonsense would do THAT. Anyway, a little more tweaking is ahead but for now, at least it goes forward. Thanks for all of the help!

Also, I'm sure there's a warning in interface-related threads that I missed, but it seems that having pin 1 of the XLR disconnected is very important. Another minor "oops" and I have pieces of diode all over the room...
larry350

Postby woodygb » 25 May 2014, 01:40

It looks in the pictures like a PGDT VR2.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40
woodygb

Postby slack » 07 Jul 2014, 06:47

larry350 wrote:Strangely enough, it had dropped to a 0% maximum forward speed. Makes sense, I just don't know why the "preset" nonsense would do THAT. Anyway, a little more tweaking is ahead but for now, at least it goes forward. Thanks for all of the help!

Larry350, what did you do to resolve your issue?

I have reviewed your follow up posts and don't see any solutions. I am in almost exact same situation. I have a Pride Jazzy Select, with a PGDT manufactured controller, that appears to be special made for Pride and is identified as a GC3. I also was using an FTDI USB/Serial interface, received a message about "unknown unit sub type" and am unable to upload/download. I did the same as you, I chose "PRESET" as it appeared to be the only feature functioning and it killed my forward, and now I only have reverse.

I appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks,

Slack
slack

Postby woodygb » 07 Jul 2014, 15:38

Can you SAVE the parameters with the programmer? ..this is the FIRST thing anyone should do when programming is SAVE what your about to Modify in case you F*ck up.

If you can then it should be possible for you to upload them here so we can have a look. ... you will need to rename the extension .zip as the Forum software refuses to recognise some file extensions.

I could probably offer you a SAVED set of parameters from a VR2 to try.
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 07 Jul 2014, 16:57

Slack ..I've now been thru this thread and it seems that the first problem is people downloading the SERVICE software from the PGDT website.

See Falco's post on this thread ...

Further down the thread Larry has ...it would seem ... obtained some Dealer level or better software that will display the parameters ... SERVICE LEVEL WILL NOT DISPLAY ANY PARAMETERS ... and found that his forward speed had set itself to ZERO ... putting it back to above ZERO ( 100% would be best ) would give you back your forward.
woodygb

Postby slack » 09 Jul 2014, 08:39

A couple of issues. The immediate issue that I asked about indeed was resolved by using the PC Mobility Programmer 8.0.16 Manufacturer version as referenced elsewhere, but I was unable to find to download. Luckily someone on the forum facilitated the acquisition of the software. The Service version would not download or upload, it would only allow "Preset" which is bad idea. Not that I was the one that clicked the button, but I probably would have if I was driving.

The second issue that we had already solved, but had neglected to mention before... We were unable to get "Active" communication without using a pull-up resistor between the FTDI +5 and data line. That worked like a charm and allowed us to accidentally "Preset" our controller. Soon there after I shorted out the FTDI cable and lost RX.

So today we switched to a Prolific PL2303 USB to TTL serial converter, and we had communications issues again. We had to fine tune the resistor selection and settled on a 47K resistor for pull up as it seems that the PL2303 was more sensitive to the voltage levels than the FTDI. We had no luck at all without the pull up. See bad ASCII graphics below.

Code: Select all
USB                     XLR
GND ----------------- Pin 2
RX  ----------+------ Pin 3
TX  -----|<---+
+5  ---^v^v^--+

The end result is we jacked almost everything up to maximum value and turned the mobility chair into a nearly undriveable hot rod. We are planning to use this as a RC/robotic platform at my local makerspaces (GeeksOK and Prototek).

I also am now aware of the plight of the mobility chair user and the poor control they offer stock. Hopefully I will be able to pass this knowledge on to someone who can use it.

I appreciate the help. Thanks - Stan (aka Slack)
slack

Postby woodygb » 09 Jul 2014, 09:15

Thanks for the tip on the pull up resistor.
woodygb

Postby feenando » 03 Nov 2017, 13:54

ola amigos alguem achou soluçao para esse problema, aconteceu a mesma coisa comigo.
Hello friends, someone found a solution to this problem, the same thing happened to me.
feenando

Postby woodygb » 03 Nov 2017, 14:42

Have you got the PC Programming software?
If so what version and type .... Service , Dealer ,Manufacturer?

Have you got or made a Programming lead?

Você conseguiu o software de programação de PC?
Em caso afirmativo, qual a versão e o tipo .... Serviço, revendedor, fabricante?

Você obteve ou fez um lead de programação?
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby fabrasil » 13 Dec 2023, 16:02

Hi there!

Here' Jazzy Selec using D51156.02 (y PGDT to Pride) and that joy. Tried seeral ways (from this board) without success.

Any kind?

VIdeo at https://rbt.net.br/jazzy_joy.mp4

Thanks
fabrasil

Postby woodygb » 13 Dec 2023, 16:30

LEDs Scroll From Left to Right: The controller is in inhibit or charging mode
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 13 Dec 2023, 16:31

Did the chair or has the chair got an ONBOARD CHARGER?

Try connecting the center pin of the the 3 pin charging port to GND ... post back with the result.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 13 Dec 2023, 16:45

Some chargers inhibit HIGH ( Positive ) some inhibit LOW ( Negative / GND ) ...

Pin 3 of the charger port is an inhibit / programming pin.

A defective or REMOVED onboard charger can ...as I recall.... cause this problem , as can using the wrong onboard charger type.

Try connecting the center pin of the the 3 pin charging port to GND ...via a 10k resistor...

Also try connecting center pin of the the 3 pin charging port to 24v ...via a 10k resistor...

Post back with the results.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 13 Dec 2023, 17:32

Actually THIS seems to be more likely.

The controller is LOCKED.

The battery condition meter will be stepping up from left to right.The sequence will continue to step up for two full cycles and then turn off.

To lock the controller:
1. While the power is on, press and hold the on/off key until it beeps(approximately 1 second).
2. Release the on/off key.
3. Move the joystick to the full forward position until it beeps.
4. Move the joystick to the full rearward position until it beeps.
5. Release the joystick. There will be one long beep. The controller system is now locked.

NOTE: The battery condition meter will be stepping up from left to right.The sequence will continue to step up for two full cycles and then turn off.

To unlock the controller:
1. Press the on/off key to turn on the controller. The battery condition meter will ripple the "locked" sequence.
2. Move the joystick to the full forward position until it beeps.
3. Move the joystick to the full rearward position until it beeps.
4. Release the joystick. There will be one long beep. The controller system is now unlocked
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby fabrasil » 13 Dec 2023, 18:06

Hi there

After use an R10k grom 3pin to GND it work out.

At https://www.pridemobility.xxx/pdf/owner ... er_boi.pdf page 1:3 Leds scroll means that but do not had charger onboar or even cnnected, neither locked status.

THNKS all!
fabrasil

Postby woodygb » 13 Dec 2023, 18:58

:thumbup:

There should be a plug for the onboard charger at the rear of the chair ...you can add the resistor at that point.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby fabrasil » 13 Dec 2023, 19:41

Dear woodygb

Only at D51156 driver had one, but now its working just fine.
Already unplugged batteries and discharge the capacitors and after it reconnect and working just fine.

Thks!!
fabrasil

Return to Everything Powerchair