Magic Mobility Extreme F Rebuild

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Magic Mobility Extreme F Rebuild

Postby lewisriverred » 10 Aug 2018, 05:40

Thanks for the tips, I've been spending a lot of my free time perusing the posts. Overwhelming :shock:
lewisriverred

Postby swalker » 11 Aug 2018, 23:45

Can you clarify something for me? Years ago this thread started with a discussion of an X4. Someplace along the line, there were posts about an X8.

Are you considering modifying an X4 or an X8. The reason I ask is that I have an X4 and am considering modifying it.

I am not sure if I will just build up a lithium battery pack or if I will replace the controller. Regardless of whether you are modifying an X4 or an X8, I will be watching closely!
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby lewisriverred » 25 Sep 2018, 04:15

swalker wrote:Can you clarify something for me? Years ago this thread started with a discussion of an X4. Someplace along the line, there were posts about an X8.

Are you considering modifying an X4 or an X8. The reason I ask is that I have an X4 and am considering modifying it.

I am not sure if I will just build up a lithium battery pack or if I will replace the controller. Regardless of whether you are modifying an X4 or an X8, I will be watching closely!

Its an X4, I havn't done any upgrades to it. I'm hoping to one day. Like you were mentioning, lithium, controller, charger, etc.

For now I'm trying to just keep it running. Currently its blowing the circuit breaker whenever I get going fast or go uphills. The negative cable running from the battery to the circute breaker gets really really hot. I have to wait for it to cool down a bit then I can push the reset button and move on... until it pops again.

So I'm assuming something is drawing to much power? Can you guys give me some things to check so I can troubleshoot this?
lewisriverred

Postby slurpster » 29 Sep 2018, 19:28

Check your connections on all negative wires. A hot ground means it's a bad connection somewhere on the negative side of your wiring.
slurpster

Postby ex-Gooserider » 02 Oct 2018, 02:06

Unless you really want to go big time and do a BM style high voltage speedster system (arguably not the best fit for an X4 / X8 style chair) I would strongly suggest NOT replacing a working controller / electronic system - it's fairly difficult and you won't gain much...

OTOH, it is VERY worthwhile to do the lithium conversion. It won't do much for speed (you might gain a very small amount, but not enough to worry about) but the range increases, and longer battery life is very much worth the effort, especially if the existing lead bricks are near end of life...

ex-Gooserider

swalker wrote:Can you clarify something for me? Years ago this thread started with a discussion of an X4. Someplace along the line, there were posts about an X8.

T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby lewisriverred » 17 Nov 2020, 02:37

Thank you for everyone who has posted to help me troubleshoot and decide on which mods to consider.

Right about March this year two of my motors went out on me, as well a 9deg gear box. This pushed me to get my GoFundMe campaign started. Check it out:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-get-rob-pollock-back-off-road
Three months later the X8 is in my garage. I can't believe it!

2FEZqDU4CTc_2A2Hy6cUKtMu7vud0j-zhZFwEBAnizJJkc7WHHaIBYX02a9vv2u6f-bBT8y11-hoENm1c9gO8BNmf4dcRN65H_KJDlOWhT9Z056n5dzSEuR2ccp4K99F7odDUCJBkUI6NVougYLT8Y2ukSSq7Yi4xYocF3707pSNqVlbXSPBjPYso02gfaLth1HNilNkNbtIe.jpg

The plan is to continue the X4 rebuild.
However It's going to need the motors rebuilt. I sort of destroyed one gearbox to get the motor off the chair, and one broke all on its own. While they sit on the shelf of the motor shop, I'm contemplating four new motors. Not to mention the Lithium/charging upgrade.

So I'm not in a hurry, but now I have so much more freedom to make a plan for the ultimate X4 rebuild.
lewisriverred

Postby Clif » 17 Nov 2020, 04:31

I was also having the same error code and intermittent problems with my X8. I gave up and decided to replace the DX2 controller and joystick with an R-NET 120 amp system. The upside being that it should be much easier to fix if needed in the future. Looks like I will have about $300 in used R-NET parts. I also bit the bullet and bought a R-NET OEM dongle. I have wanted one for a while since I have another chair with R-NET. I will probably refit my Quickie 636 with R-NET also. I have not found powder coating to last in severe salt environments so here are the products I use (from another post):

It's a Sherwin- Williams product. Should be available almost anywhere. I sandblast to what is called white metal meaning all dirt and corrosion is gone. Not required but works great for me.

https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.j ... 441&lang=2

https://industrial.sherwin-williams.com ... 02460.html
Clif

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair