Backup power on power recliner

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Backup power on power recliner

Postby flagman1776 » 23 Oct 2018, 14:53

I am liking the split extension harness to power the motor directly... I would adapt to Anderson SB 50s which are my Go To connector, so in an emergency, other packs could be connected with a single plug by a carer.
I'd leave a pack connected that just needs a single switch to initiate a rescue.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby flagman1776 » 22 Nov 2018, 17:56

I wasn't expecting to use it again so soon. The power was out a 3AM. The AA backup system for my lift chair was in place. It "Rescued" me from the fully reclined position & lifted enough for me to get up easily. It slowed a little on the last lift but didn't feel like it was straining. The packs still had power, just no need to expend it. I have LED lights on my walker & night table. The power company is on my cell, I reported the outage, bundled up & went back to sleep.
With temps well below freezing, it would have been a sucky holiday had the power stayed out. Kudos to National Grid for restoring power on a black frigid night.
It wasn't an emergency BECAUSE I had a backup plan.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 22 Nov 2018, 19:44

:clap

If only everyone organized a backup for everything that can fail. IT doesn't matter so much if you are not disabled. But its pretty much essential if you are. Not had a power-cut here for years. A few brownouts while someone fried but nothing that puts the lights out. But it can still happen. Even large parts of towns go black every 10 years or so for a hour or more on average. Shit happens.

Did have a trip go, that powered my room, but lights still worked. So I reached for my beds power socket (converted to Anderson from its wall brick,) and plugged my leccy bed into my chair. Cant manage without that working. And when a carer came she flipped the AC trip switch back on. After about 10 goes and a lot of trying to describe what to do! Having Anderson on everything helps. I could have got AC too from the chair(s) from an inverter for anything else needed.

And if long term out, I can connect the house to my vans output, via an inverter too. And extension cable. Leave it idling, and everything works back fed through a wall socket. Turn off at mains. You dont want to feed the grid!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair