Amysystems chair?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Amysystems chair?

Postby Burgerman » 12 Mar 2015, 12:02

May make a good roboteq, lithium high speed conversion. Already uses the same motors as the BM3 chair and they do a rear drive version.

http://www.amysystems.com/en/product/alltrack-r-series/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Amysystems chair?

Postby Swan T.W. » 12 Mar 2015, 16:08

Looks like a mid-wheel drive chair. What would you do with the rear casters?
Swan T.W.

Postby Sully » 12 Mar 2015, 16:16

I tried to talk these up a while back, but gave up. They come with a 120 Amp controller if you want. Yes and the good 4 pole German motors. I just wish I could afford one. I haven't heard any bad mouthing the service on these. But a well made chair should not require much if any service. I would think since there is room for group 24 batteries, replacing the lead bricks with LiFePO4 Headway cells would be quite easy, as well as arranging the plug ins for the charger and cell equalizing.

I wonder if they would supply it set up like that "on special Request"? "On Special Request" because the manufacturers Rules and Regulations probably are still archaic and would not approve such a modification as a standard option. But it "looks very much like a BM engineered/constructed chair. I believe you have made an impression (finally) on some manufacturers. I do wonder if wide tires could be arranged uder it, to make it beach accessable (Off Road as well). Maybe I ask too much !

Swan, the "R" models are rear wheel drive. or at least were! Oh yes the AMY is basicly a Canadian make chair with small factories located in the US. search for it and the "R" model.
Sully

Postby Burgerman » 12 Mar 2015, 16:22

Yes its a rear "biased" mid drive chair. I wouldn't buy one but many don't want or cannot build something themselves. This could have the seating moved forwards maybe and rear casters removed. Who knows. Or left as is. Its just that I know those motors can take 45V because I am doing that to mine and they don't seem worried! And I tested a set to 60V for some hours, and 72V intermittently. They rev a bit but otherwise nothing flew apart, arced, or got warm.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sully » 12 Mar 2015, 18:03

Of Course there are these Rangers made in Canada as well I believe. http://rangerwheelchairs.com/brochures/ ... ochure.pdf

After looking at the NEW AMY brochures it appears they have modified the rear of the chair so where tippers were, there are another set of casters rather than tippers. Why????? I did see where many complaints were made about Invacare chairs were tippy going up a steeper angle than advised by US Federal guidance. I have to wonder if some of this caused Invacare to revise their, and that of other manufacturers, rear wheel design by the Order of Consent that has placed the products of one US facility on hold for so long.

I have a ramp in my home that steeper than advised and I can control my chair because I pull my upper body forward to shift my weight. If I had to sit with my back completely against the back rest while I went up that ramp, I would tip over backwards. Since I have completely tipped over in other places before my wife has a fit when I wheelie up the ramp.

Now this condition is my own fault, I placed the back rest 1.5 inches backward of its permanently manufactured position. And the back has been jackassed by "me". Now understand I "like" this chair it suits me within my house I can make a 360* inside my bathroom without foot rests and 0" to spare.

Like almost everyone who lives out of a wheelchair I set my home interior to suit myself, and financially I do not live beyond my means, which are rather frugal to say the least. Though I do know of many who live far more frugally than I do. I bought another similar rear wheeled chair which I can tinker on while not destroying my transport under me.

This chair is a folding Invacare Nutron with E675 motors under it . There is barely space for the motors, between their fixed location and the front casters. I have wider wheels and air filled tires for it but as currently configured it would be too wide to use indoors. Hence the other (New to me) chair, it cost me more for gas to get it than I paid for the chair. It has rather slow motors and I have set the controller to maximum in power as well as everything else. But I am spoiled I like the power I have with my every day chair. Another consideration is my wife of 70 years old loads and unloads my chair by herself and another bigger chair I do own is too cumbersome for her to load. It is mind over matter, but at 70 who is going to change her. I accomodate her, by using the smaller structured chair.

Back to the AMY chair and the Ranger they were/are structured similar to the BM chair in many ways. I think the US regs are the cause of the permanent rear casters from the tipper design. If there is one real chair user in the entire US Policy makers for this issue I would be greatly surprised.
Sully

Postby nld3 » 06 Jun 2018, 22:25

How are these chairs? Do they hold up good. I heard they break down alot? I am trying to decide if I should get an Amy R Hybrid, M3 or a Storm Torque. I will be demoing the chair again soon. I have to decide soon my GB motor is dying & Invacare will not sell me anymore.
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2018, 22:30

I have a chair, and a spare set of motors, and a spare controller, and a spare fancy REM550 contyroller, and an REM24... All sat here unused in the UK. For a bunch of reasons I do not get on with brushless.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 06 Jun 2018, 22:44

those chairs are really just a quickie P222se chair which i have - its the same chair with no casters in the rear - just anti tippers - i ruled out that chair because of those rear casters -

the other difference is that battery box - on my chairs - you have to remove the top seating to get to the battery box - these chairs you dont which is nice

but other than that - i rather get a quickie P222se chair over this amysystem - i also heard they are working on a lithium package -

they killed it by adding those casters in the rear -

http://www.sunrisemedical.com/power-whe ... e/p-222-se

its bascially this chair with casters and different battery box arrangement -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby nld3 » 06 Jun 2018, 23:05

expresso wrote:those chairs are really just a quickie P222se chair which i have - its the same chair with no casters in the rear - just anti tippers - i ruled out that chair because of those rear casters -

the other difference is that battery box - on my chairs - you have to remove the top seating to get to the battery box - these chairs you dont which is nice

but other than that - i rather get a quickie P222se chair over this amysystem - i also heard they are working on a lithium package -

The problem is I want a Tilt, Recline & Elevator plus it needs to be low so I can drive a mini van. I'm pretty sure my vendor and therapist ruled that chair out for what I need. I'm almost 300lbs.
nld3

Postby hobie1dog » 06 Jun 2018, 23:53

Wow, the batteries Amy systems have are expensive@ 300.00 each. The air seat cushion is 575.00 :geek:
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby nld3 » 07 Jun 2018, 01:01

expresso wrote:those chairs are really just a quickie P222se chair which i have - its the same chair with no casters in the rear - just anti tippers - i ruled out that chair because of those rear casters -

Amysystems is working on Lithium?
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2018, 02:21

"Working on" might make it sound complicated. Its not. Theres nothing to work on. It just works...

They will however fit too little Ah, so not gaining the huge actual advantages it can offer, and the same thing will mean a short service life, and the battery will have a generic BMS as advised by a an "expert" so it will have a few reliability and slow charge issues. And will likely cost 3x what it really should cost.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jwSubMOA » 15 Jun 2018, 06:35

I have one of these loaded out with their lift system, lighting, 120 Rnet etc. I buy my controllers and motors from them and was told to buy one of their chairs if I wished to continue. For "liability reasons". While the lift mechanism is good, handy for me in the shop, the chair as a whole is a POS. Within hours of unboxing it various things had fallen off or broken. The swing away joystick mount is a damn joke. What capped it for me was when the entire swing away fell off while I was transferring into one of my 928 Porsches. It pinned the stick forward and crashed into my car doing about $1100 of damage. They said they were not liable for any damages due to their chairs. It is extremely heavy, the stupid ass "suspension" is a gimmick that supposedly keeps the chair level up to couple of degrees, seriously? The front casters have one shaft bearing at the bottom and a plastic sleeve at the top. They flop around like a drunk dolphin. Overall the design and build quality is embarrassing. Only cost me $19000. I only do business with them as it is easy to purchase parts through my insurance.
jwSubMOA

Postby Burgerman » 15 Jun 2018, 09:23

You just described every mobility company I ever dealt with... :oops:

Every time someone asks for a recomendation I am at a loss as to what to tell them.
All need a redesign and reconfiguring after purchase before they are usable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nld3 » 15 Jun 2018, 22:39

I'm back demoing an Amy R for 5 days. I like the way it moves compared to the Permo M3. So far much better on the grass. No rocking which is better for me when driving my Mini van. I really wanted a Permo but this chair is filling my check list fast.
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jun 2018, 10:06

And once correctly programmed like every chair, it will be 10x better.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nld3 » 20 Jun 2018, 00:19

At first the rear casters bothered me but now that I've demoed the AMY chair a second time they don't bother me as much. I feel more comfortable in Tilt & Recline than my short base Invacare Storm. Its so tippy that I am afraid to fully tilt. I did a quick test to see how I would fit in my mini van because of those casters. My Storm Arrow scraped from time to time. https://youtu.be/QWegPRcAces
nld3

Postby nld3 » 20 Jun 2018, 03:40

I finally did it tonight I ordered the AMY Systems Alltrack R3 Hybrid. cheers
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jun 2018, 08:45

Its so tippy that I am afraid to fully tilt.

Tilt, and if it has lift/recline aso, then do all 3 simultaniously while an assistant is threre. But do it while reversed up to a bed. So that you can safely test stability. If it tips over, as my own modified Salsa chair does, then you just tip about 2 feet and it sits against the bed.

If it doesent tip, have the assistant pull the chair backwards carefully, to see how much effort is required to get an idea on how safe or how likely it is to tip over. If it takes 15 or more lb you are safe. If it takes less, then reprogram it so that it doesent allow as much recline, or tilt. Or do that so it just restricts you only when the lift is used or whatever safe mix is best. Again this all needs an OEM programmer. And then remember that this applies to level surfaces only!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nld3 » 20 Jun 2018, 22:14

Burgerman wrote:
Its so tippy that I am afraid to fully tilt.

Tilt, and if it has lift/recline aso, then do all 3 simultaniously while an assistant is threre. But do it while reversed up to a bed. So that you can safely test stability. If it tips over, as my own modified Salsa chair does, then you just tip about 2 feet and it sits against the bed.

If it doesent tip, have the assistant pull the chair backwards carefully, to see how much effort is required to get an idea on how safe or how likely it is to tip over. If it takes 15 or more lb you are safe. If it takes less, then reprogram it so that it doesent allow as much recline, or tilt. Or do that so it just restricts you only when the lift is used or whatever safe mix is best. Again this all needs an OEM programmer. And then remember that this applies to level surfaces only!

I have used the bed many times. I know if I raise my arm over my head I might end up on my caster wheels. I had a friend who can walk test it when I first got it & he jumped out of it when the casters hit the floor. I find I never fully have to tilt all the way anyway. I won't have to worry about anymore now that I'm getting an Amy which I have no problems fully tilting & reclining in.
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jun 2018, 00:27

If you value your skull, test anyway! You may be surprised!

In my own chair, I moved the seat back, and so am responsible for the danger. But you have got to know, regardless. Or one day you will do tilt/recline/tilt, and it mat tip back over. Best to test. I trust nobody! :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nld3 » 21 Jun 2018, 01:41

Burgerman wrote:If you value your skull, test anyway! You may be surprised!

In my own chair, I moved the seat back, and so am responsible for the danger. But you have got to know, regardless. Or one day you will do tilt/recline/tilt, and it mat tip back over. Best to test. I trust nobody! :fencing

Don't worry I did plenty of testing.
nld3

Postby nld3 » 26 Jun 2018, 23:52

I'm being told that they can only get as low as 18.5 my current Storm is 18.25 banghead What do I do? Will I be able to handle that Quarter inch?
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jun 2018, 00:23

What is 18.5? :cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nld3 » 27 Jun 2018, 00:59

18 inches & half inch.
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jun 2018, 04:03

Yes but WHAT are we measuring? :fencing
I am guessing at seat?

If so, then I dont think anyone would notice 6mm. Adjust seat tilt base setting, and lose or gain an inch. Change front tyre type or pressure, and it will change as much as that. Even tyre wear. Remove the seat base plate, save 4 or 5mm.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nld3 » 28 Jun 2018, 04:54

Burgerman wrote:Yes but WHAT are we measuring? :fencing
I am guessing at seat?

If so, then I dont think anyone would notice 6mm. Adjust seat tilt base setting, and lose or gain an inch. Change front tyre type or pressure, and it will change as much as that. Even tyre wear. Remove the seat base plate, save 4 or 5mm.

Sorry, Yes the seat to floor height.

That’s what I thought but it worries me anytime I mess with my seat height.
nld3

Postby nld3 » 29 Jun 2018, 02:24

My vendor just emailed me & he wants me to demo another Amy R Hybrid with a center mount foot platform. So another delay. :problem: I hope this one has a seat elevator. I need to see the height in the van as well.

"Amy Systems I noticed that they speced a flared front caster feature to make room for the center mount foot platform. I spoke with them and they told me that it is a necessary mod to get the power platform. They also told me that it would not widen or lengthen the chair. "

This is an older model but it has the center mounted footplates.
nld3

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2018, 02:33

they speced a flared front caster feature
what exactly is that?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nld3 » 29 Jun 2018, 22:48

Burgerman wrote:
they speced a flared front caster feature
what exactly is that?

Those caster bars stay outward rather than angle in I think. I'll know for sure when they drop off the demo. I'll post a picture.
nld3

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair