Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Help and suggestions for lithium or lead

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2015, 01:49

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2015, 01:53

Plugs into one of these two 40A 1344 watt chargers. Overkill yes. But I don't just use these for powerchair but everything from cameras to quadcopters, mowers, etc. And 2 because they are limited to 8S batteries and one of my chairs uses 13S and so needs 2 chargers at once.

Doesn't need to be next to my bed as these lithium batteries last 45 miles or more and can be charged or topped up anytime fast say every few days. While I sit at my PC and monitor it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nealnlx » 06 Dec 2015, 01:54

That is the page i saw and you showed me and yes it looks nice. But after i read more about the cellpro 8 charger i see that basicly we need to do a similar wiring to our pack like if it was to have a BMS, but only stopt there because the balancing itself is made by the charger which has its own balance port/connectors.
After that i got i bit confused to see that still would nee to connetc two cables to charge when you said that only use one.
Now, from what i can see, what you did on that cable is kind of bound both toguether on the same connentor making it a 2in1 am i right?
That is still why i would like to see pics of it connecting the battery to the charger in that easy simple way.
nealnlx

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2015, 02:00

The charger has 2 large POWER 4mm connectors. You plug those in. Neg, and Pos.
It also has a small 9 pin balance connector. You connect that too.
And the cable I made has that as well. Look at the picture of the cable. Its just sort of self explanatory...

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... le-40A.jpg

Its super simple! Once connected to the charger you never need remove it anyway.

That just leaves that single D connector you connect to the chair to charge it. Look closely. It has 3 heavy connectors (2 used), and 9 thin balance wires all in one easy to connect plug! You don't need any of those boards or wires in front of my chargers. They are for different things.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby nealnlx » 06 Dec 2015, 02:32

See? Nothing that i simple litle pic would not show better...
This image showing the entire cable it is self explanitory yes.
Since i only need to charge one battery i connect the balance cable to its corresponding port and then the power neg and pos ones to its ports.
Those MPA board are for you to charge multiple matteries. Right?
Yes, that cable looks really nice and simple to use.

Now i just need to know and learn more about the charging parameters and setups issues.
I know that charging cells and 3.55v is better so they dont go crazy, but can i still charge them fast like at 20a?

With this comes some new questions like how do i know if all cells are equaly well ballanced and what to do if one or more are lowerr than others?
nealnlx

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2015, 02:54

Charge fast? Yes. Its best not to do so for longevity. But if I am in a hurry I charge at 40A. Otherwise I charge at 15Amps on a 72Ah pack, 20A on a 100Ah pack etc.
If you choose say 3.550 Volt, and set charger for 40A the charger will just throttle back and reduce power as the highest cell reaches 3.550V. The balance circuits will then drag the highest cell down as the charge continues until all read exactly the same.

There's 2 batteries being charged here. A 6 cell, and a 7 cell one. (it actually makes up my 13S BM3 battery. Its on charge now so I just did a screen shot).

The 7 cell one is almost topped up, and balanced almost, will remain at 3.550V (+/- 0.003V) until current falls to my chosen 50mA level, or CV and balanced, plus 8 hours whichever occurs sooner. Note BYPASS figures. That shows the percentage of the remaining 2.xA CV current being removed on a cell by cell basis. That will read all zeros once fully balanced.
Attachments
Image1.gif
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2015, 03:16

Those MPA board are for you to charge multiple matteries. Right?

Yes I have 2 mower batteries, 6 quadcopter batteries, 2 drill, 4 Nikon camera, tens of AA, and AAA cells, some 9v rechargeable, 3 lead powered chairs, torches, 3 RC transmitters with 3 types of battery, 2 huge lithium packs, 45 and 24 volts, my van periodically FROM my chair as a power source, kitchen tools, my new scales for weighing seated wheelchair users, flashgun, multimeters, door alarm, many model aircraft and FPV monitors, and my ex gf lithium ion bicycle pack periodically when its on board BMS screws it up.

And I can charge any battery. And discharge any battery. Any chemistry, any size, and any variation. Anything with any cell count up to 8S per charger. And you can link them up to do 16 cell batteries or as many as you want. And choose my own voltages, Amps, termination method, level etc. And graph the discharge and measure the Ah and Watt hour removed and replaced. And do all of that from a power supply or battery, from 10V to 32V meaning I can go outside and charge my van from my chair at 40Amps... Or the other way around.

Its also as much power as its possible to get out of the wall if you have a pair. Each can do 1344 watts. Or 2688 watts OUT and about 3000 watts input. Meaning that's your 13A wall limit all used up! At least in theory. And so you can charge a full sized EV if you want.

Why do hobbyists need all this power? Because we use small batteries like 5Ah. But these can be up to 90 to 130C meaning they can give 5A out x 130 times! What's more many are 6 or 8C charge capable. So you would charge a tiny 5Ah battery used in a small model helicopter say, at 8C x 5A or 40A... If you charged 4 in parallel they COULD be charged at 160Amps if your wall wiring could stand the pace!

Sort of puts mobility chargers to shame really! They don't even charge the one type of battery they are meant for well. They are 5x more feeble on power. They can only charge at 1 fixed rate. There's no adjustment possible. There's no way to charge different chemistries, they cant cell balance or do lithium, measure anything, don't connect or cannot be controlled by PC, no discharge capability, no graphing, and they cost about the same. And they are not even very reliable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 13 Dec 2015, 03:35

Burgerman wrote:Image

ONE meter long. SAFETY shielded connectors at the charger end so no shorts. 40A fuse inside the sleeving.

this is a nice Wire - i would have to make it just like that - problem is - if i can - - this has to be made - nothing can be purchased ready made this way ?
Quickie P222se - 60Ah ADD ON
Quickie S646se - 150Ah LifePo4
Quickie P220 - Indoor Chair
Bounder Plus - 180Ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 13 Dec 2015, 09:23

No. Theres a hundred ways you can make a cable or cables. This was the neatest and most reliable way I could think to do it. Took me weeks to order and get all the parts together from different sources and about 4 hours to make 2 matching ones that will do two 24v or 8s or less batteries.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 15 Mar 2016, 01:34

i already spoke on phone with Nuno (we live 10km distance ) and gave him my contacts and some tips...i expect next 1st december to fly and stay for quite a long time to northeast brasil :D

3.5 months later and no return???
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 11 Jun 2016, 14:52

Is there a reliable supplier of the Powerlab PL8 in the UK and a question for BM - where do get the [rubber?] sticky anti-rattle tape that prevents rattle under your seat plate and seat frame?

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jun 2016, 18:30

I buy in http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Produc ... C5-version singapore. No idea about uk...

Even if you get a bill for vat later as I did on one occasion from 3 then its still cheaper.

Foam tape ebay!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 11 Jun 2016, 20:47

Thanks BM - have you managed to get out on your BM3 yet now the weather is turning nice?

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby steves1977uk » 11 Jun 2016, 22:30

http://www.revolectrix.co.uk/index.php? ... Itemid=113 Still cheaper to buy from Singapore.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jun 2016, 01:42

No I am stuck in bed for 3 months now... Sore. :twisted:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 12 Jun 2016, 11:09

Burgerman wrote:No I am stuck in bed for 3 months now... Sore. :twisted:

Again? :shock: you only just got up I thought? :cry:
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jun 2016, 11:31

Yes for 4 hours and made it come back...
Burgerman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair