Knowledgable Helpful Powerchair People/Organisations

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Knowledgable Helpful Powerchair People/Organisations

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jan 2010, 23:33

Has anyone ever met any "industry insider", repair shop, sales people, or Physio or Occupational therapist that actually had ANY clue about powerchairs and wheelchairs?
Lets make a list!

It will be useful to those that cant help themselves as much as some of us do.

I will start. Err, Only 1. After 14 years of looking! Everyone else just seems to cause problems and not be interested. I am still waiting for the UKs Wheelchair Services to "get back to me" for eg regarding them assessing me for a cushion that they already supplied me 3 months ago after I shouted loudly! They have to be the single most useless people in the entire system! They couldnt service a manual wheelchair and get it right and talk about slow. But its the staff and their attitude thats the biggest problem. More importantly what the hell do you do about it?

1. A tech guy at Penny and Giles... (They seemed rather less knowledgable at dynamic. But at least they do FIND OUT and get back to you so thats 2 really!)
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Knowledgable Helpful Powerchair People/Organisations

Postby CPguy » 25 Jan 2010, 22:14

Well, I am fully aware that I am out of area for most if not all people in this forum here so I will give some general advice and details only upon request.

From my experience large dealers (dealing with the end user) in heathcare and orthopedic equipment are useless with an extremely low serice level. No weekend service and if you have a breakdown they let you wait for ages and do not even think of offering you a spare chair. The invoice is a disgace.

I have serval solutionsto the problem:

1.) Go to the whole saler. Some will also sell to idividuals directly however, you have to know EXACTLY what you want and normally pay in full in advance. (cash is best) The major advantage is that they are fast: within 24 hours you have what you want.
2.) Go to small dealers (family business) and/or a single man business. They need your money so they will work. Weekend service is no problem if you have a emergency and it only costs a minor surcharge if any.
3.) If the pain and discomfort is large enough - do it yourself! (Like I am building a power chair right now to meet my requirements)

In Austria the medical business is still mistyfied: not even "people first","independent living" groups and "disability rights" advocacy groups dare to question and mess around with the products they use on a daily basis. Likewise, consumer protection groups never, ever test (power) wheelchairs. In my view the main problem is that the largest customer base for (power) wheelchairs are old people and/or people who can not articulate themselves - we are just a tiny minority representing a pain in the neck for the industry, so why should they change for us?
CPguy

Postby Foz » 04 Feb 2010, 12:06

There is a chap on the net who builds and chops powerchairs up, fairly approachable too! Google powerchair reviews etc :)
Click his sunbathing link.......gives a break from looking at f55s and motors.
Foz

Postby Burgerman » 04 Feb 2010, 18:21

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/ultimat ... rchair.htm

He means the one near the bottom of this page I think... ;)
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair