PINNED - Powerchairs Worthy of Consideration List!

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: The 'Powerchairs Worthy of Consideration' List!

Postby rover220 » 07 Jan 2016, 15:15

you can still buy the alex
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jan 2016, 15:46

Then I shall add it!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 07 Jan 2016, 19:28

steves1977uk wrote:
MenCallMeGimpy wrote:Alternatively, there's these guys, but I have no idea how legit they are:

http://www.mobilityscooterpart.com/prod ... php?id=178

Also, no way to buy on the site, so it looks like I'll have to call Taiwan.

This is where I bought my OEM programmers from, it cost me about $900 for two OEM programmers minus the shipping costs.

Steve

Good to know. I've asked them for a quote (there's no price on the site), so hopefully they'll respond soon.

Thanks!
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby Step » 08 Jan 2016, 13:15

Burgerman wrote:Feels slightly disconcerting with a soft front though!

You can get the 'heavy user' rubber blocks for the front. They're stiffer.
I think it's more an anti-vibration feature for gravel roads and forest walks with roots sticking up.
There's not so much travel on the front swingarm it 'dives' when braking or leaning forward.
Especially with the seat in the rear position and a less bulky sling or Jay3 or Roho backrest.
Step

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jan 2016, 13:35

Yes probably I just tried one that was at the spinal injuries unit.

But I am in 2 minds about front caster suspension. I added a rubber block to my BM3 chair to take out front end chatter over uneven surfaces. It lets the casters and the whole front of the chair move up, without altering my seating angle, or footplate moving up. Only about 1 inch is travel on the footplate. Seat hinged at my C of G at the base.

See here: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... medium.jpg
And http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... hair-8.jpg

Whilst it only allows an inch of movement at the footplate, and about 1/2 inch at the seat front edge (a couple of seat degrees total) it does indeed take a lot of the vibration out of the footplate and seat on uneven stuff. Makes it feel like flat front tyres! But... On deceleration it moves and you feel like you are falling forwards slightly. So good and bad. Chairs with front suspension also do this.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Step » 08 Jan 2016, 14:54

I see your point.
As a quad that never wears a chest strap or seatbelt, I am very aware of the 'falling forward' issue front suspension chairs have.
That's my main reason for not getting a MWD. You never see them go down a curb forward... tried it... it's a rush :mrgreen:
Same with Permobil RWD when front suspension too soft.
The Permobil c350 would otherwise be anoother goood option with standard central footrest and least bulky backrests

Never had the problem in the 5 years using the Alex though but I do tilt it back a bit when speeding outdoors to avoid slippping forward on the seat
Step

Postby Irving » 08 Jan 2016, 18:07

As a tetra/quad I've taken to wearing a chest strap in the car and at the gym, and more often now when I'm out in the street. I always run about 5deg of tilt but the drop kerbs here can be steep so a chest strap makes it more reassuring going down the kerb. Any more tilt and there's a tipping risk going up the drop kerb and that's scary...

Step wrote:I see your point.
As a quad that never wears a chest strap or seatbelt, I am very aware of the 'falling forward' issue front suspension chairs have.
That's my main reason for not getting a MWD. You never see them go down a curb forward... tried it... it's a rush :mrgreen:
Same with Permobil RWD when front suspension too soft.
The Permobil c350 would otherwise be anoother goood option with standard central footrest and least bulky backrests

Never had the problem in the 5 years using the Alex though but I do tilt it back a bit when speeding outdoors to avoid slippping forward on the seat
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jan 2016, 12:46

Personally I cant be comfortable unless tilted back. At about 8 to 9 degrees.

Like this. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images- ... ir-450.jpg

Any less and it becomes more uncomfortable and I fall forwards when decelerating, descending steep slopes etc. And if using both arms to move heavier stuff. I used to have tilt, and riser at one point. I never used either. Tilt I have all the time fixed to the 8 to 9 degrees (I like), and riser was so slow that it wasn't worth the wait. By the time its done its thing I already found another faster way to do something. Like knock something off a shelf and catch it. Or whatever. Those things are geological in time wasting. So I no longer bother. Adds weight, complexity, removes rigidity, and never used.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 10 Jan 2016, 15:54

What's your knee height like that? I like to be able to get under tables in local café, etc. and I usually drop it flat to do that and even then it can be difficult...
C5/6 A (complete)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jan 2016, 16:01

A little too high...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Whrjr1 » 10 Jan 2016, 18:16

That is without a doubt the best chair I have every seen. I have discovered that I have bought the wrong chair and controller. I have 2 Pride Jet 3's and hard to go most anywhere other than slight inclines and smooth ground. Even on good pavement you can count every pebble. I have been trying to find a 55s scooter working or not to try and copy your design. THAT SUCKER IS AWESOME
Whrjr1

Postby Irving » 10 Jan 2016, 18:41

Burgerman wrote:A little too high...

Yeah, I figured that... a bit of an understatement even? :roll:
C5/6 A (complete)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jan 2016, 18:42

In the US you wont find that chair. And so will need to do something similar with something else. But this is a thread for standard powerchairs, that are worth looking at. A starting point so that you don't go out and find a Jet3 :D

Understatement?
Well its not too bad. Depends on the table. On one of my four chairs I still have tilt. But sitting "flat" lowers knees by 3 inches. But isn't comfortable anyway.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby deslion » 11 Jan 2016, 10:32

Didn't see the meyra products, so...

Meyra make interesting front-drive powerchair, Optimus2, http://www.meyra.de/en/wheelchairs/e-power/e-power-wheelchair-details/product-47/?cHash=be4aa6238f1db256396425053c4301e9

Mesured speed is about 12 kph. The main problem of this one - very hard to ride in a line, you need to control from going liitle-right and little-left. But offroad this is not a disadvantage, because of real max speed about 5-6 kph, it's just impossible ride faster)

Optimus2 has a rear suspension, with 3 variants of settings - soft/medium/hard.

And also, maybe it's offtopic, but is it possible to buy mk3? In Russia there is a big problem with powerchairs.
deslion

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2016, 12:13

I make or modify all my powerchairs in my bedroom, by hand, for my personal use only, as an end user. As such you cant buy one. Many people here are also modifying existing chairs, fitting lithium power or building powerchairs to suit themselves however.

The Meyra Optimus 2 isn't a powerchair though. Its a small "car" or closer to a scooter that steers in reverse like a fork lift truck. It works outdoors well at low speeds but isn't suitable for use indoors. So while interesting and good outdoors its not really a contender for a powerchair list.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby deslion » 11 Jan 2016, 14:53

Burgerman wrote:I make or modify all my powerchairs in my bedroom, by hand, for my personal use only, as an end user. As such you cant buy one. Many people here are also modifying existing chairs, fitting lithium power or building powerchairs to suit themselves however.

The Meyra Optimus 2 isn't a powerchair though. Its a small "car" or closer to a scooter that steers in reverse like a fork lift truck. It works outdoors well at low speeds but isn't suitable for use indoors. So while interesting and good outdoors its not really a contender for a powerchair list.

Oh, understood, sorry)

But something about handmade powerchair... What can you advise? I don't have enough resources (such and strength, weak muscules), but may be there are any instructions? Some urls to parts, maybe.

Excuse me for such a request, but can't you build another mk3? And how much might it cost? Parts + work + profit?
deslion

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2016, 15:52

Like you I cant do much myself. And that means it takes me lots of time. I get others to help make parts, weld, cut, order many things premade from the internet. And every chair I build is different. No measurements, no parts list. All one off, no plan!

My chairs wouldn't suit most users, too tippy, too angry, and would flip you out, or have problems with one thing or another. These are not production chairs. How will you replace parts, repair, maintain one even if I could build one? You must learn, build your own to suit your own needs.

This chair for eg is completely different. And much simpler. And also much better than anything you can buy. Its an older one I am rebuilding and updating to lithium with 4x the range. But using simple mobility controller etc.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5380&start=140
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby deslion » 11 Jan 2016, 16:04

Burgerman wrote:Like you I cant do much myself. And that means it takes me lots of time. I get others to help make parts, weld, cut, order many things premade from the internet. And every chair I build is different. No measurements, no parts list. All one off, no plan!

My chairs wouldn't suit most users, too tippy, too angry, and would flip you out, or have problems with one thing or another. These are not production chairs. How will you replace parts, repair, maintain one even if I could build one? You must learn, build your own to suit your own needs.

This chair for eg is completely different. And much simpler. And also much better than anything you can buy. Its an older one I am rebuilding and updating to lithium with 4x the range. But using simple mobility controller etc.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5380&start=140

About replacing parts, my father can help me, but he has no time to build one because of work.
Well, can we speak via skype? It will be much faster, I think)
deslion

Postby CPguy » 11 Jan 2016, 16:37

@ deslion: I think you should visit the user "nandol" in Portugal as he has a builder from bulgaria (I think the wheelchair builder speaks russian because he is about 50 years old). If you know EXACTLY what you want say the magic words "пожа́луйста, това́рищ!" and have your cash ready! :D жела́ю уда́чи!
My rides:
1 BM2/BM3 with 120 A R-Net and Odessey (Lithium in 2016)
1 SKS Swiss VIVA (spare, as only NF22 size battery)
2 Progeo YOGA (for traveling)
CPguy

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2016, 16:46

About replacing parts, my father can help me, but he has no time to build one because of work.
Well, can we speak via skype? It will be much faster, I think)

Don't do skype. But where are you going to buy parts, when most are made from metal as needed, laser cut in small quantities, sourced from eBay, china, America, car, karting, robotics, etc?

If you don't build it yourself, know exactly how it works, what went into it, you wouldn't be able to maintain or repair it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby deslion » 11 Jan 2016, 16:48

CPguy wrote:@ deslion: I think you should visit the user "nandol" in Portugal as he has a builder from bulgaria (I think the wheelchair builder speaks russian because he is about 50 years old). If you know EXACTLY what you want say the magic words "пожа́луйста, това́рищ!" and have your cash ready! :D жела́ю уда́чи!

О, спасибо большое) Will use your advise) "nandol" - registered here? Did I understand right?
deslion

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2016, 16:51

Nandol is a member here. He has his local friend / blacksmith build his chairs. But don't expect the sort of build quality you see on my pages because that takes an awful lot of time to spend of details and care. It wouldn't be possible at a sensible price. So its the same "shape" as mine approximately. But not the same thing. Which is why you need to do it yourself to a high standard really.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby deslion » 11 Jan 2016, 17:06

Burgerman wrote:Nandol is a member here. He has his local friend / blacksmith build his chairs. But don't expect the sort of build quality you see on my pages because that takes an awful lot of time to spend of details and care. It wouldn't be possible at a sensible price. So its the same "shape" as mine approximately. But not the same thing. Which is why you need to do it yourself to a high standard really.

Can you tell me more about process of constructing? What can I buy and what I need to make myself? About blacksmith - I know one person who live nearby. He made a farcop for his scooter, welds are very accurate and almost invisible.
And there is a question about motors - they are constructed for working on 24v, isn't it dangerous, or too hard for them to work on 45?
Also what about software - is it written on c-like language? Like an Arduino, maybe?
deslion

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2016, 17:33

OK. If you are serious you need to understand that this isn't a case of buying parts and bolting them together.
The metalwork is the easy bit. That's sort of self explanatory. There's lots of pictures on this site.

But as I say that's the easy part. I use a Roboteq controller, not intended to be used with a power wheelchair. I suggest you read and understand this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2436 thread. Yes a lot of pages, but its essential.

Then read and understand the Roboteq HDC2450 user manual carefully. It still wont be any use to you until you build your own loom, and joystick and run this script, which is still under development and subject to change:
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... Script.txt
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-construction/ pics, settings, robotect script, etc.

Understand this, inc scripting or use the script we are using written by Lenny on this forum. Years of testing and development! http://www.roboteq.com/index.php/docman ... anual/file

In pictures here only the caster fork itself and perimeter tube are from an F55 powerchair, and these are modified anyway. Not the bearings, axles, bolts, wheels, tyres, battery, complete centre section, footplate or mountings, wiring, controller, joystick and electronics, etc. The rear light is bought and modified. The seat base is F55 but not its mounting points, and it also is modified. Most of the rest is scratch built or from eBay, or karting/race car/or the motors from AMD as used on many powerchairs like the Groove.

Motors are damaged by heat, or too high RPM that causes them to fly apart inside. Or too many Amps - too much heat.
So max amps is controlled by limiting to the same level as they were designed for, by the roboteq controller. (Current limiting).
Motors tested at 60V and don't fly apart! So 45V not a problem. As RPM increases motors naturally draw less current so also no problem at speed. Excess or uncontrolled acceleration, or exceeding current limit can damage them. But if you know what you are doing that wont happen. I damaged one only when a test alpha script, had an error that allowed excessive acceleration.

At full speed, current is only about 10A per motor. This is not a simple project and you will not understand how complex until you are halfway there! The basic metalwork is the simple part.

Also read: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1813 many pages.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jonv » 15 Feb 2016, 15:57

not much MW love and NO uk chairs recommended !
jonv

Postby Burgerman » 15 Feb 2016, 16:02

Thats because in general they are crap outdoors (X5 /V6 excluded) and of the rear drive chairs all are available in the UK other than the Bounder chairs.

Sunrise med in Birmingham now own/build quickie and the handicare chairs for eg.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jonv » 15 Feb 2016, 16:21

Burgerman wrote:Thats because in general they are crap outdoors (X5 /V6 excluded) and of the rear drive chairs all are available in the UK other than the Bounder chairs.

Sunrise med in Birmingham now own/build quickie and the handicare chairs for eg.

But the same is said for RW indoors !
jonv

Postby Burgerman » 15 Feb 2016, 16:41

Wrong.

My chairs are just 37 inches long total inc footplates, (shorter than all other powerchairs). And both of your rear drive chairs are as long as an oil tanker and they have the rear wheels behind your backside. Mine are UNDER it so it turns under you.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images- ... ir-700.jpg

If I reverse to a wall, my HEAD touches first.
My toes are 37 inches from my head. Thats about 10 inches shorter than your chairs or any mid drive chairs.
Footplate is central so no swingaway footplate to hit doorframes, and anti tips are inboard and short for same reasons.

Anyplace you can get with a centre drive I can go too... And turn around.

So rear drive CAN work indoors if configured well.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/control.mp4 And are better for control!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Glitterfairy » 15 Feb 2016, 18:23

Burgerman wrote:I would do that. But there are so many variables, and also so many negotiable prices that its all but impossible. I think the sensible way would be for each user to price their important options and preferences individually. Or I would need to download a complex order form with hundreds of prices and choices for each chair. For eg some chairs cant use the larger batteries with some options. And lighting modules are included with faster motor options, and the ALM needed is already paid for with fancy seating or and upgrade to r-net is part of the seating package. And then there's keeping it all up to date. Time flies. And then discounts...

I agree with this, best that users read the info and forms and decide. Yes prices change too. Was all set a few weeks ago to buy a chair with one configuration, then rethought the footrest option (central not swing away as more compact and saw that central are OK for people with increased muscle tone- want a more compact footrest anyway) and saw the documentation and price lists have been revised as new options and frame colours have been added, so had to print all the info out again. Still planning to get the same chair.
Glitterfairy

Postby Glitterfairy » 15 Feb 2016, 18:28

Glitterfairy wrote:
Burgerman wrote:I would do that. But there are so many variables, and also so many negotiable prices that its all but impossible. I think the sensible way would be for each user to price their important options and preferences individually. Or I would need to download a complex order form with hundreds of prices and choices for each chair. For eg some chairs cant use the larger batteries with some options. And lighting modules are included with faster motor options, and the ALM needed is already paid for with fancy seating or and upgrade to r-net is part of the seating package. And then there's keeping it all up to date. Time flies. And then discounts...

I agree with this, best that users read the info and forms and decide. Yes prices change too. Was all set a few weeks ago to buy a chair with one configuration, then rethought the footrest option (central not swing away as more compact and saw that central are OK for people with increased muscle tone- want a more compact footrest anyway) and saw the documentation and price lists have been revised as new options and frame colours have been added, so had to print all the info out again. ;) ;) Still planning to get the same chair. :)
Glitterfairy

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair