Videos - Rides

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Videos - Rides

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 May 2017, 03:02

Thanks for the explanations, it is interesting to learn more about places like VN that I'm likely to not be visiting any time soon...

I can definitely understand the hazards of grains in the road, though I might have a slightly different take on it... I remember riding my motorcycle in an area near a grain elevator and fortunately being nervous enough about a white area on the road ahead to slow WAY down... Turns out it was the first sharp corner leaving the elevator, and the excess grain heaped on trucks would spill over.... Result was a 6" deep drift of raw soybeans covering the road :shock: Soybeans are EVIL to ride on... Not only are they nice round balls - think ~1/4" ball bearings, but under pressure they smash and turn into oily paste (mostly soybean oil....) Even paddle-walking, I barely kept the bike up - and then had to stop at the next opportunity to dump the beans out of my boots....

ex-Gooserider

snaker wrote:
ex-Gooserider wrote:Stopping the film, looks like full ears, couldn't tell for sure if they had been husked or not. I don't know just why they are spread out on the road like that, but I'd guess they are drying the ears in preparation for shelling the kernels off, and presumably grinding them into corn meal... Don't ask me why they don't just import corn meal pre-ground, as I'd have thought it would be less expensive than to pay for shipping the cobs, that at least in the US would be discarded....

VN imports maize to produce animal food (e.g pig, cow, poultry) not human food :mrgreen: We eat rice as many other Asian countries. The reason of importing that large amount is that US (and some other countries in South America) can plant corn with an extremely high productivity (maybe 6 times higher than VN). So although having to pay high cost for importing, corn from US is still a half cheaper than the one planted in VN. It also has better quality. Anyway it is ridiculous that a country with 70% labor working in agriculture has to import grain from a country with less than 1% labor working in agriculture, isn't it?

In my province. local farmers plant corn along rivers. They have a bad habit to dry corn (including rice, peanut) by spreading them along the roads. Now it is not the season of corn so we only see a few. In 2-3 coming weeks, it will be a season of rice, rice and its straw will fill almost the roads. Bikes (and also my powerchair :mrgreen: ) have to move in the middle of the roads, very closely mad trucks. That's really dangerous. Some deaths happened because of spreading grain along roads but local farmers still do it year by year.

Car price in VN is too expensive while life is low, so the rate cars/population is very low (about 1/10 families owns a car). Although the price already dropped a half comparing the past 3-4 years but it is still about 2 times more expensive than in other neighbor ASEAN countries. And by some reasons the quality of cars made in VN is bad. People always prefer imported cars, especially US brands. We had hopped after TTP, many more cars would be imported and available for reasonable prices but that Trump ruined everything :oops:
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 May 2017, 03:03

popschief wrote:IT MUST BE SPRINGTIME IN NYC. ;) :oops:

bp

Does that mean it's time to go poison the pigeon's in the park :?:

ex-Gooserider

(for the culturally deprived, look up Tom Leher....)
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby Mind The Gap » 16 May 2017, 23:26

Hi All

Short video to Doctors and back.

Regards Paul
Otto Bock B500 with 105ah lifepo4 main, 48ah lifepo4 addon. 153ah total.
Mind The Gap

Postby Burgerman » 17 May 2017, 00:07

Err, maybe a bit too short!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mind The Gap » 19 May 2017, 13:42

Hi All

Whoops sorry. URL Below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LavhHDCUrLM#t=37.451583

Regards Paul
Mind The Gap

Postby snaker » 20 May 2017, 09:52

I am just curious why you always go on pavements? I see in some places where streets are empty and free, pavements are tight and uneven but Paul still went on pavements. Do your traffic laws forbid powerchairs move inside roads/streets?
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 20 May 2017, 10:08

No. I use roads all the time wherever safe.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mind The Gap » 22 May 2017, 11:51

snaker wrote:I am just curious why you always go on pavements? I see in some places where streets are empty and free, pavements are tight and uneven but Paul still went on pavements. Do your traffic laws forbid powerchairs move inside roads/streets?

Hi All

Just feel safer using the pavement roads get very busy around here. Double cushions, springs and very low tyre pressure make the ride smoother than it looks on camera. I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere, plus you stand out like a sore thumb on the road.

Regards Paul
Mind The Gap

Postby Rob n aUSTIN » 22 May 2017, 15:33

Burgerman wrote:I hate fat backsides on women. This is what you really want:

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images- ... ct-bum.jpg

AGREED!
At present I own a Pride Revo highly modified, a fast Victory Sport and a couple of Pride GoGo's for indoors.
Rob n aUSTIN

Postby Burgerman » 22 May 2017, 18:44

Thats exactly the same design and layout as my ex. It could be her if you didn't know otherwise. Its why I moved her in. She liked photos too... :)

Imagine my horror when I saw two black middle aged women in Texas trying to get into a hire car at the airport. One door could be closed at a time. But not the other without a pusher! Then I realized MOST of them were like that! :o
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 May 2017, 18:52

:lol:
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby ex-Gooserider » 23 May 2017, 01:55

snaker wrote:I am just curious why you always go on pavements? I see in some places where streets are empty and free, pavements are tight and uneven but Paul still went on pavements. Do your traffic laws forbid powerchairs move inside roads/streets?

I'm assuming that by "pavements" you mean what we call "sidewalks" in the US - both the streets where the cars play and the sidewalks that are supposed to be just for pedestrians are usually paved - at least for some definition of 'paved'....

Powerchairs aren't specifically prohibited from most streets, but the law USUALLY looks at people in chairs as equivalent to pedestrians - which makes sense in terms of the ADA and other laws that say we aren't supposed to be discriminated against, and that our chairs are basically what allow us to do the equivalent of walking.... (Pedestrians, horses, pedal-bikes, and other slow vehicles are prohibited from major highways, including us...)

However the law does say that pedestrians are supposed to use the sidewalks if they are present and passable... A pedestrian walking / rolling down the street instead of the sidewalk is probably going to get hassled by the cops for 'obstructing traffic'....

However probably FAR more of a reason isn't the law - its the basic desire not to get our butts run over :shock:

Remember that the numbers of cars in the US is FAR higher than in the US - so if you are out on the street you are almost certain to have someone in a car behind you in seconds - they may or may not see / care about you... If they do see you, and slow down, you will be the target of massive hate because of the delay in their travels while they are trying to get around you...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 23 May 2017, 09:33

In the UK and most places, the road vary. Busy main roads are congested, so stay off them. All the minor roads are basically empty and smoother... So use them. And whatever looks safe/easy. Every trip involves a combination of both.

The law here says you can use roads if you want. The 4mph chairs cant, no lights, reflectors etc. The 6 or 8 mph chairs can, all by law have lights, direction indicators, hazard lights etc. As ridiculous as it seems.

Class 1 (manually propelled)
Class 2 (Powered. Can be used on a pavement, limited to 4mph. Cannot be "driven" on a road other than crossing, when there are no pavements etc)
Class 3 (Powered. Can be used on the road, must have lights, limited to 8mph on the road. Must have a flashing beacon if used on a dual carriage way. Can be used on a pavement but then limited to 4mph).
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 24 May 2017, 21:01

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... chairs.mp4
You may need/want to download to desktop. high res, full screen, short vid, huge file...

For expresso, I did a vid.
All these chairs have, non stock tyres apart from no 6.

1. My Green BM2.5L has 120Ah lithium, and fat 130/60 - 10 tyres on 4J wide 10 inch rims. And 3.00 x 4 on the front. It needs a backrest or seat, and a footplate when time allows.
2. My stock ish but with a few seating adjustments Invacare Storm 4 x-plore has fatter 110/80 - 8 tyres on 3.5 wide rear rims. And 3.00 x 6 front tyres in black.
3. The two in the kitchen are a 16mph 45V lithium BM3 with 6.00 x 6 rear tyres, and 3.00 x 4 front... And has a broken motor at the moment And:
4. A 6mph BM2 with lead (2x Odyssey) and the same tyres.
5. Old but used for a week, BM1 I am sat in, now with 105Ah lithium, and 3.50 x 8 and 3.00 x 4.
6. A Invacare Storm 3 with brushless motors, and tilt/recline, stock tyres (3.00 x 8 and 3.00 x 6 in a nice shade institutionalized grey). Cost me 400, and other than a lot of storage dust, pretty much as new.

I have too many chairs!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 24 May 2017, 21:13

very nice - if i only had the room you have -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 24 May 2017, 21:44

You have new york to play with though. And it never closes. I live in a small town, ex fishing port, ruined by the EU, and pretty quiet. Mostly quite poor, and full of pubs!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 24 May 2017, 22:00

true - i would be quite bored to death if i wasnt in NYC now - even though i dont like the people much - and i hated to drive into the city when i was younger - too much going on - traffic - i must have pushed my clutch a million times with the stop and go - beside the one time i parked my car to go the party boat - with my GF at the time - when it was over - the main office who got my car keys - was closed - stupid me i didnt have another set or maybe i did and drove to pick up the set they had - something like that happened - i dont even remember now - all i know i had to get across town to get my car keys from them -

my brand new mustang alone sitting there - surprised it was still there untouched - i really didnt like to drive in the city - always went up north - open roads calm peaceful - BUT now in a wheelchair - totally the opposite -
expresso

Postby Mind The Gap » 27 May 2017, 08:45

Hi All

Visited Tower Bridge Thursday and filmed the Glass floor and Engine room.

https://youtu.be/psHcnN-aYEQ

https://youtu.be/CY955IcCOoc

Regards Paul
Mind The Gap

Postby Burgerman » 27 May 2017, 13:24

Hope they are not still using that!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sully » 27 May 2017, 18:06

I really enjoy looking at old steam driven engines and boilers. Too bad they aren't used much in ships any longer.
Sully

Postby Burgerman » 27 May 2017, 18:32

Well all your and our aircraft carrier/submarines still use steam! They just heat it with atoms decomposing or splitting. But turbines are not as fun as huge bits of iron turning.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby popschief » 27 May 2017, 19:07

Thanks Paul :D Beautiful old machines. Ugly old men. :lol:

bp
popschief

Postby Mind The Gap » 27 May 2017, 19:31

popschief wrote:Thanks Paul :D Beautiful old machines. Ugly old men. :lol:

bp
Cheers popschief :lol: :lol:
Mind The Gap

Postby Sully » 28 May 2017, 15:38

BM Yes I was aware of that as I was saying it. I used the word "much" in that sentence. These old internal expansion simplex, duplex and triplex, steam engines were a thing of beauty as a piece of machinery.

Turbines are their own piece of beauty, but most of that beauty is hidden internally, I served on an older USN repurposed Light Cruiser originally commissioned in 1944 that was steam turbine driven, 100,000 HP, the whine of these turbines were the heart beat of the ship. Most of this kind of naval ship now are gas turbine driven, only the Nukes are using steam now. The old low pressure boilers are long past, they spew too much carbon and heavy metals into the atmosphere from the kind fuel they use.
Sully

Postby Mind The Gap » 09 Jun 2017, 12:51

Hi All

Trip to the shops.

https://youtu.be/2hOex0K7KR8

Regards Paul
Mind The Gap

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jun 2017, 13:03

Looks a bit grim there. I mean a little dismal and run down. Also very dark! Cars have lights on. Sun so bright here that you gotta wear shades for at least a month.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mind The Gap » 09 Jun 2017, 15:57

Hi All

Long video of trip to Hawkswood estate.

https://youtu.be/vPwXPpebkQE

Regards Paul
Mind The Gap

Postby expresso » 09 Jun 2017, 16:22

Mind The Gap wrote:Hi All

Trip to the shops.

https://youtu.be/2hOex0K7KR8

Regards Paul

nice video - nice looking area - besides being dark - was it a cloudy day - my camera isnt great - and picture varies with light and sun etc, -
expresso

Postby Mind The Gap » 17 Jun 2017, 11:23

Hi all,

A short video of a trip to the park the other day.

https://youtu.be/sFzQmGa7-_s

Regards,
Paul.
Mind The Gap

Postby snaker » 26 Jun 2017, 08:18

snaker

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair