PL 8 - Q and A section - How to Set up - Use etc,

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PL 8 - Q and A section - How to Set up - Use etc,

Postby Burgerman » 23 Dec 2016, 11:26

Its what it says. You get that if it shuts the charge down for 101 reasons or if you choose a wrong cell count or a cell is under voltage, or if you have other problems with a previous charge.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 23 Dec 2016, 13:13

Looking for the balance connector . Just want to be sure of the right one . :P

BM , would you please post a close up shot of it ?

These are gold-plated tips .
8-)
Attachments
TB2lUFRdjm2_eBjSZFtXXX56VXa_!!74222874.jpg
TB1_jvaOFXXXXa6XFXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg
TB2d5CYeXXXXXXwXXXXXXXXXXXX-74222874.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby expresso » 23 Dec 2016, 16:16

Burgerman wrote:Its what it says. You get that if it shuts the charge down for 101 reasons or if you choose a wrong cell count or a cell is under voltage, or if you have other problems with a previous charge.

Is it a bad thing ? i dont see why i get them from the very first time in use - and each time i start it - nothing is done any different then when i use the first charger which dosnt do that ?

is this something i need to address somehow ? maybe i can reset the unit somehow ? or just try a firmware upgrade - it has the latest already -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 23 Dec 2016, 17:04

shirley_hkg wrote: :( Received the PL8 , and find its balance port is small . Smaller than the connectors we usually have on the battery side .

Why not conform ! It's pointless . :cry:

Didn't you order a couple of spare 36" extension leads when you placed the order? The PL8 uses the JST-PA type of plug for the balancing port. I believe there's an adaptor board that you can buy to be able to use JST-XH plug.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 23 Dec 2016, 19:32

Also they lock. But another reason is that you can choose 2 wiring schemes. It can charge at 3A and balance down the balance wires. FMA wiring. I use this all the time on hobby stuff. Prevents accidentally plugging in the wrong wiring scheme. But it is a pain.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 23 Dec 2016, 19:34

Is it a bad thing ? i dont see why i get them from the very first time in use - and each time i start it - nothing is done any different then when i use the first charger which dosnt do that ?

is this something i need to address somehow ? maybe i can reset the unit somehow ? or just try a firmware upgrade - it has the latest already -

Its maybe something to do with your 12v power supply or more likely an error on the previous charge? You dont need do anything.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 24 Dec 2016, 03:10

Ours are refurbised models and came in naked .

Would anyone please post a close up shot of this JST-PA 2.0 connector ?
8-)
Attachments
IMG-20161224-WA0002.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 24 Dec 2016, 09:23

Cellpro (JST PA) PowerLab 36" Extension Cable http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Produc ... sion-Cable

I usually order a few of these. Cut off the other end to suit charge connector etc.

9 pin version of this.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 24 Dec 2016, 16:54

Burgerman wrote:

Its maybe something to do with your 12v power supply or more likely an error on the previous charge? You dont need do anything.

Dont think its the PSU - dosnt do it with the first PL 8 and same PSU -

FMA - said i can try a software restore or reinstall the software - i did a firmware update - and factory restore - just to cross that off my list of things i tried - only thing left is the software - -

if not FMA says just Click no when i get the message - that i knew already - but want to make sure its working fine

last i remember there was a issue with the software - but it was fixed - do you know for sure the new software is working fine before i get rid of the current software -

thanks
expresso

Postby expresso » 24 Dec 2016, 16:55

shirley_hkg wrote:Ours are refurbised models and came in naked .

8-)

Nice you got 3 of them -- was it that a good a price for a refurbished model ? is the warranty the same - one year ?
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 24 Dec 2016, 18:09

expresso wrote:
Burgerman wrote:

Dont think its the PSU - dosnt do it with the first PL 8 and same PSU -

FMA - said i can try a software restore or reinstall the software - i did a firmware update - and factory restore - just to cross that off my list of things i tried - only thing left is the software - -

if not FMA says just Click no when i get the message - that i knew already - but want to make sure its working fine

last i remember there was a issue with the software - but it was fixed - do you know for sure the new software is working fine before i get rid of the current software -

thanks

Is there any errors showing in the errors tab when you start CCS with the new PL8?

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 24 Dec 2016, 20:25

Nope - No Errors show -

that would worry me more - - it may be just a hiccup or some sort - who knows - i will try and reinstall the software and see -

as long as it works !!! - just worries me - since the first one went up in smoke - now i am watching and listening for everything - and funny i notice a little clicking sound when i start the unit to charge - its not loud - but i feel i hear something like a clicking sound till it starts to ramp up and charge - then its too loud to hear anything else

have no idea if the first one does the same sound or not - this one is closer to me on the table - the first one is not as close to me - not sure if it does it also or i just never noticed -

wonder if the sound has something to do with the message -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 25 Dec 2016, 13:36

I did? I thought it worked fine and still did, and the new extra one didn't work or failed immediately?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 25 Dec 2016, 16:18

Burgerman wrote:I did? I thought it worked fine and still did, and the new extra one didn't work or failed immediately?

I reinstalled the software again - i connected the New PL 8 i got in exchange for one that RMA back which Failed burned up the very first time -

the Pop Up message showed again - - so i shut down the software on the PC - i unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in - leaving the PL 8 on all this time - i started the software and presto - NO POP UP MESSAGE THIS TIME

i left it alone - shut it down since i didnt need to use it - i now think its nothing more than that cable with the little board connected to the PL 8 and USB port - i can try to unplug and plug in again - or change cables from the first PL 8 and try that - or leave it alone -

it may not even show the message any more i think or if it does i click No and close it - or i can try a combination of ways with the PC cable - maybe i plug that in first and then power it up - then start the software - or plug it in last after i start the software -

i see next time i go use it - the charger was used twice already and worked fine - i did raise the Supply to 50A - from stock 40A - i tried 60A - went to charge but really didnt give me more than about 23A charging - and was very loud - got a bit worried since the pervious burn up - i though it was going to explode - so i stopped it - changed it back to 50A - and started it again - - the most i can get is 19.9A - so 20A charging this way -

but i use the 15A preset now - just to be safe - no rush now its winter - in the summer - i use the 24V PSU - PL 8 is still at 50A supply - but i charge fine at 35A with the Large Pack - i drain it alot in the summer - i can try 25A - if i am not in a rush to fill up -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 25 Dec 2016, 17:55

(Your ORIGINAL one.) I thought it worked fine and still did, and just the new extra one didn't work or failed immediately?

Meaning the answer was yes. :lol: And you wrote a book.

Stop stressing about that message. It means nothing. And refers to a PREVIOUS time you used the charger anyway...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 25 Dec 2016, 18:19

Imagine expresso writing a book BM, he'd fill an entire library :lol: :mrgreen:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 25 Dec 2016, 21:36

It would never end.

Shirley http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-conne ... s/4766833/ correct part
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 25 Dec 2016, 23:16

Burgerman wrote:
(Your ORIGINAL one.) I thought it worked fine and still did, and just the new extra one didn't work or failed immediately?

Meaning the answer was yes. :lol: And you wrote a book.

Stop stressing about that message. It means nothing. And refers to a PREVIOUS time you used the charger anyway...

it happened the first time i used it - so means someone else used it before me then :)
expresso

Postby expresso » 25 Dec 2016, 23:17

steves1977uk wrote:Imagine expresso writing a book BM, he'd fill an entire library :lol: :mrgreen:

Steve

Gives you something to read in the winter - set for life :)
expresso

Postby shirley_hkg » 26 Dec 2016, 04:19

Burgerman wrote:It would never end.

Shirley http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-conne ... s/4766833/ correct part

Found it . Thanks John . :)
Attachments
Screen 00012.jpg
Screen 00013.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby shirley_hkg » 26 Dec 2016, 04:29

Also found these 4mm banana plugs , with enlarged end , that can accommodate thicked charge wire up to 10awg . :D :D :lol:
Attachments
Screen 00014.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 26 Dec 2016, 10:45

Buy the ones that are protected that cellpro recommend. Those are good quality, and more importantly are the only ones that barely get warm at 40A output I ever found. And being stackable helps! I have the ones you are looking at with smaller wire end, they get hot at 20A. Its the gold plated part that doesn't end up tight enough or long enough. If you try more Amps, the charger will probably melt...

Cellpro style ones are very similar (or the same?) as the link below, they have a longer mating surface than the rest for less resistance/heat. .

These are rated 32A at high voltages, and some similar makes are rated 36A but both are good for 40A at the voltages we use. I buy them in bags of 20 in red, or black, on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-Banana-Sh ... 1c5886402c

And

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Black-12A ... -Go0MEbudg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 27 Dec 2016, 00:54

JST stands for "Japan Solderless Terminal" and you can find nice photos and datasheets on ALL their connectors on the JST website...
PA connectors are at http://www.jst.com/home8.html There are plenty of other sources but in the US at least, Digikey carries almost all the JST connectors in stock....

ex-Gooserider

shirley_hkg wrote:Ours are refurbised models and came in naked .

8-)
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby shirley_hkg » 28 Dec 2016, 02:44

Burgerman wrote:I still have 3 here. In the hobby world things keep moving on though. People always want more/better/faster. One of the things that makes the PL8 fast is the 1A balance power. And the fact that it begins balancing lipo packs from any voltage. So they end fast, and you are back in the air. Even on LiFe packs, it helps to balance faster, and esp on big packs like we use. So 1A instead of 300mA and start sooner. But not lower than 3.4V.

If charge through the balance leads only , PL8 can deliver 3A max .

Can we interprete in a way that it can balance in 3A in this mode ?

That will be very helpful wih initial balance when building packs .
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 28 Dec 2016, 03:42

No charge 3, (if wiring set to FMA mode) balance still 1A. But its still fast as it can be set to begin balance at 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, or just at CV. And proportional, as well as the old digital on/off way used by most chargers.

Stock presets will trigger an error - safety charge - if cell imbalance exceeds 250mV. But if you use one of my presets, that will be 350mV (or disabled) so will never bother you.

Read this:
http://www.revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1437.pdf
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 28 Dec 2016, 07:13

I thought it were 8 independent currents flow through the 9 leads .

OK . It is NOT .The charging current still flow though the first and last wires .

;)

Another question .
You said Δv amongst cells larger than 350mV , will trigger errors .
When doing the JST balance connector , I want to tap the first and last leads from the banana plugs ( PL8 side ) , instead of tapping them from the battery directly .

Will that be OK ? Will PL8 denotes inaccurate voltage ?

The charge current will be 25A . The charging path is 1.5m long . The 2 bulk charge wires are 10awg . The balance leads are the best I can afford , 18awg silver coated 6N copper telfon wires

Thanks .

Attachments
IMG-20161228-WA0007.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 28 Dec 2016, 10:38

Will that be OK ? Will PL8 denotes inaccurate voltage ?

It will mess up its measuring, cell resistance measurements, etc. You may see two lines on the graph (1 and 8) different to the rest, and it may try to balance these and slow charging down. It senses voltages on the balance wires to get true batt volts etc, during charge. So exactly what that will do I don't know. It actually stops charging at high frequency during charge to sense volts more accurately too. But you cant tell without an oscilloscope. Try it.

If you use most of my lifepo4 profiles you will not see errors from cell voltage spread because they are modified to stop it bugging me when setting up new packs...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 28 Dec 2016, 10:59

Copy that .
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 28 Dec 2016, 12:05

0.21v is the voltage drop an online calculater gives. So the charger may think theres a 200mv cell voltage difference? Not sure its wise to do it that way.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 28 Dec 2016, 13:41

I'M afraid so , and that's why I ask .

May be I tap the 2 wires at the other end of the charge cable ; combo connector . ;)
shirley_hkg

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair