PL 8 - Q and A section - How to Set up - Use etc,

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PL 8 - Q and A section - How to Set up - Use etc,

Postby Burgerman » 16 Nov 2017, 03:21

It could have even more options, less safety nazi stuff, wider limits, bluetooth, allow charging without balance on Lithium ion, and a few other things. But they wont let that happen.

Instead they are taking away all the fine tuning that I can do now, and saddling us with their flawed and quite unusable presets. With only a few options. So this is I think much worse than what we have now. Unless its all still there behind the scenes. Which I doubt! Wont know till I see this windows app... Which we now have to buy. So its no upgrade as I can see it!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Nov 2017, 03:27

what if they stop making what we use and just make the news ones - would we still figure out a way to use them for our chairs ?

i mean - what would we do if that happened ? whats the wrong around if any ?
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 16 Nov 2017, 03:29

Well theres always a way.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Nov 2017, 03:34

maybe should get one more for a spare - would they repair ours if they break even in a year or more down the road ?
expresso

Postby shirley_hkg » 16 Nov 2017, 11:15

It's off the shelf already . Can't get any spare now .

We are in trouble .
hanged
shirley_hkg

Postby steves1977uk » 16 Nov 2017, 12:46

steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 16 Nov 2017, 13:06

I just got another spare. Just in case the new one if more restricted. Which it looks to be.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Nov 2017, 16:53

I just got another one also - 2 extra cables to connect to PC also just in case -

on the new charger - the cables would be the same - balance - etc, - we dont need to stock up on them ?

but the cable to connect to the PC - thats important to have one extra at least ? i hope they will continue to supply these cable parts -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 16 Nov 2017, 17:08

Who knows hobby stuff changes fast. The 36 inch balance cables are now different and so ordering a couple of those is a good idea. Cheap anyway. Save making any.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 16 Nov 2017, 17:11

The new PL8 uses the more common JST-XH plug for the balance plug instead of the JST-PA which we use now. So better stock up on balance cables for future use!

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 16 Nov 2017, 18:08

shit - i already placed an order - i have to make another order maybe from progressive site - i like to get more balance cables - 36 inch and 12 inch - maybe a few more of the PC cable also - i got one extra now -

but will they not service our units if we still have them for many more years ? how long do they have to or should be stocking the parts for them - along with cables ?
expresso

Postby expresso » 16 Nov 2017, 18:51

steves1977uk wrote:The new PL8 uses the more common JST-XH plug for the balance plug instead of the JST-PA which we use now. So better stock up on balance cables for future use!

Steve

they did that on purpose - i just ordered half dozen more both 3 feet and 12 inch cables - and two more PC cables - now i have to worry about making mistakes when i solder - concerned about wasting a cable on top of everything else

6 extra cables should be enough you think ? i want to make a few more charge cables for spares - and in case i need to replace any on the pack itself -

would you have a link to the correct JST-PA connector end - i woulnt know if its correct even if i see it :) we can always make it if we had too ?

woke up to this - didnt expect to spend $500 first thing in the morn.
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 16 Nov 2017, 18:56

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Twinpanther » 18 Nov 2017, 06:26

Burgerman wrote:http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Cellpro-PowerLab-36-Extension-Cable?ext=F 36 inch cable

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Cellpr ... 2566?ext=F charger

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/FUIM3?ext=F PC USM connection Although mine will be bluetooth soon.

Each of those links come up for me here in the US as:
This page isn’t working

http://www.store.revolectrix.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 503
Twinpanther

Postby Burgerman » 18 Nov 2017, 11:53

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Cellpr ... able?ext=F 36 inch cable

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Produc ... Lab-8_2578 charger

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/FUIM3?ext=F PC USM connection Although mine will be bluetooth soon.

Works fine from the 6 countries I tested just now on my VPN. Inc USA.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 18 Nov 2017, 18:32

Other than ordering a couple extra cables, I'm not going to panic just yet. There's much we don't know about the PL8T, and it's yet to be released PC CSS.
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 18 Nov 2017, 19:41

True. And nobody said they will stop the PL8 yet? But who knows. But I suspect it may be dumbed down as far as users are concerned.

The CCS is pretty much essential to us, for spotting problems on build, in use, etc. It would be a great loss too in setting all the fine parameters that I currently have access to to suit lead, as well as large lifepo4 setups.

But I never used windows store. And it goes against the grain to do so. Esp when we dont know what we are getting. It will be the same as the Android version. Maybe someone with a smart phone could look at that?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 18 Nov 2017, 20:00

Burgerman wrote:Maybe someone with a smart phone could look at that?

You don't have a smartphone?
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 18 Nov 2017, 20:11

Hate the damned things.

Its a phone with 1 day battery life.
Mine does months.

It has a "camera" that I dont need as I have a proper camera, and 4 lenses. Worth about 6k. So its camera output is to me a fuzzy noisy, point and shoot junk file maker.

Its a computer... But I have a REAL far faster, better computer, with a 55 inch screen, 3840 x 2160 deep.

Its got aps... Non of which are much use on a stupid battery hogging tiny screen.

If you drop it its knakered. New screen, much cost. Its always got a dead battery. Every time you touch the screen it goes off doing something you dont want. Its impossible to see in the sun. Etc etc. You are all sheeple, that are falling for the marketing bull.

I have 4 phones, all brand new in boxes, for 90 pounds the LOT... One is in use. My total phone bill was 15 pounds as a self serving pay as you go user for the last 12 months. INCLUDING the cost of the phone.

Complete with 4 chargers as spares, that I never need for 90 days battery life at a time! It does calls, has a clear screen you can see in sun, in large bright letters. It does SMS. But I dont. If I throw it at a wall it bounces off. If I drop it down the toilet, I just open another box. Thats all a phone needs to do. I have way better solutions for all the rest.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 18 Nov 2017, 20:16

FUTURE FEATURES:
- PowerLab options/settings management (like Windows CCS for PowerLab)
- PowerLab preset creation and configuration (like Windows CCS for PowerLab)

Seems like they're focused on bolting their Bump controller on a PL8. Hope they follow through on the above. It doesn't always happen.
Gnomatic

Postby Gnomatic » 18 Nov 2017, 20:22

Burgerman wrote:Hate the damned things.

I see. :) :fencing
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 18 Nov 2017, 20:57

But thats dumbed down and does not allow the detail and info we have now. So its likely :thumbdown: banghead

Like all safety nazis, they think they know better. Judging by the hopeless presets for LiFePO4 and the even worse lead ones its all very backwards to anyone that does understand what they are doing.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Nov 2017, 21:02

Hate the damned things.

I charge my cheap plastic disposable phone every month, weather it needs it or not. And I drop it on the drive or run over it in the house regularly. Just bounces and pings out somewhere!

Try that with your rubbish glass screen/crap camera/computer/battery eating gadget? :fencing :clap

The years of marketing speak has worked on you. But not me. A triumph of marketing over practicality. $$$
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 18 Nov 2017, 22:34

I put a cheap case on mine. Drop it often and run it over looking for it. Its fine, never dented/cracked a single one. Smarphone's are a jack of all trades and master of none. But super convenient. Is the camera as good as my DSLR? Not close it terms of image quality. But its one I ALWAYS have with me. So it gets much more use. In terms of AVAILABILITY, it beats the pants off my DSLR. Is it a better flashlight than the ones I have laying about the house? Nope. But its the one I ALWAYS have on me. So it gets a lot of use. GPS? Got it in my pocket. Level? Same. Check email, SMS? Yep. Google Assistant? Built in. I can control more and more of my house by simple voice as I add compatible devices like lights, garage door opener, and MUCH MUCH more.

The list goes on and on .....

I go all day on a single charge, amd charge at night, unless using GPS. In which case I keep my phone charged up via a charger that runs off my chair's battery. So battery life no issue at all.
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 18 Nov 2017, 22:55

Colour me unconvinced. I have one. I just decided a simple proper phone works tons better as a simple phone. Thats why I bought a phone! You have been marketed to and think you need all that battery sucking tat added on... You dont. It just makes the phones primary purpose much worse. And more expensive.

Its more available as a camera. But as soon as I look at the results on a proper screen, I delete them regardless. So whats the point. Same with web browsing. way too small, frustrating things. All they do well is break, cost, and frustrate and need charging daily... If I link even to a shrunken photo like this one:
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... air-11.jpg the best you can do is zoom into little bits of it. Or look at a low res non detailed tiny image. Hopeless.

E.G the app for phones for this charger. I wouldnt even bother downloading. Screen too small, too frustrating to bother with. And because of this tiny screen it WILL be dumbed down like its phone users. I would put money on it. :cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 19 Nov 2017, 01:19

Burgerman wrote:
E.G the app for phones for this charger. I wouldnt even bother downloading. Screen too small, too frustrating to bother with. And because of this tiny screen it WILL be dumbed down like its phone users. I would put money on it. :cussing

Not worth even trying the phone app till the full feature set is implemented. I hope the PC CCS is full featured, but I have my doubts as well. On the new charger they added a usb port, touch screen, which is ok, and bluetooth which is okay I guess, But if they're going to do all that, why not add a wifi interface??? :cussing
Gnomatic

Postby Gnomatic » 19 Nov 2017, 02:19

Burgerman wrote:Colour me unconvinced. I have one. I just decided a simple proper phone works tons better as a simple phone. Thats why I bought a phone! You have been marketed to and think you need all that battery sucking tat added on... You dont. It just makes the phones primary purpose much worse. And more expensive.

I got my last one free. I always get a 6mo-1yr old model with a successor thats soon to be come out. My last one was a $500+ flaship LG. Its was already discounted by $100. And had a $200 rebate from LG, and a $200 rebate from the wireless network. By the time I got my rebates back and other ptomos, I actually got paid ~$30 to get a new phone. Deals like this on phones can be found time to time if you look for them, at least here. Just need to stay about 1 gen behind the latest and greatest.
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 19 Nov 2017, 12:35

Chinese phones. On that chinese ebay thing... 3.8Ah lithium battery, 6 months standby, minimum. And waterproof, shockproof, rubberised, use as a usb chargr if you want to charge your smart/sad phones! SMS and phone services only, bright clear small screen, real keyboard. 25 dollars delivered...

Flush it, drop in your beer, park on it, dont charge for 5 months. Still calls your carer as needed in emergency. :joint
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 19 Nov 2017, 17:47

I at one time had a phone w/ physical keyboard. As a quad I couldn't really use it well, very difficult. With my current phone, I either use a PC keyboard when in front of my desktop(there's an app for that, works well), or just use the voice recognition to type out my message. It works well enough for me.

To each his own, though.
Gnomatic

Postby Gnomatic » 19 Nov 2017, 17:58

As for getting in contact with carers when in a bind, I always have redundant ways for that. I have both Amazon Echo and Google Assistant. Both can get hold of anyone on my contacts list just by voice. Also I have a stand alone "I've fallen and I can't get up" system. It has a base station that sits on the floor and connects to cell towers and calls out if needed. I wear a button on my wrist that activates it. Also trained my dog to hit the button on the base station itself from every room in the house. He's good at it. I've had too many close calls, and learned the hard way for this type of thing redundancy is key.
Gnomatic

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair