Quickie Groove 8mph motors. Any good?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Quickie Groove 8mph motors. Any good?

Postby JoeC » 07 Feb 2010, 23:44

Invacare already has a gyro as an option in their chairs:

http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd ... Page=GTRAC

I believe that these Electrocraft 7mph motors in the Quickie S646SE are less efficient than the ones in the P200, but they are definitely capable of putting out some great torque and power. I haven't hooked up a set to a Dynamic DX module yet, but they get very hot to the touch and drain batteries rapidly when hooked up to a 100 amp P&G module. The batteries suffer, but the chair certainly moves. I don't know what their stall current or resistance is. I'd measure their resistance if I had a meter I trusted below half an ohm, but I don't.
JoeC

Postby Pete » 08 Feb 2010, 03:39

Burgerman wrote:I saw that too. Its used for miles traveled mostly, and possibly for keeping straight when their chair is so nose heavy it heads for the gutter when traveling along the road. If they are bright enough! I have another method...

I'd say the main reason for these encoders is to keep the chair running straight for people using alternative input devices like sip and Puff or chin control.
Pete

Postby JoeC » 22 Feb 2010, 05:18

For what it's worth, I just measured the motors of a Quickie Rhythm 6.5 mph, and they were 90mm.

Side note- the chair is a nightmare. The woman who brought it by to have me look at is going to take it back to return it.
JoeC

Quickie Groove 8mph

Postby Burgerman » 22 Feb 2010, 09:07

Horid chair? Build Quality? Design? Or programming? Or motors! Never saw one close up.

Thanks for the 90mm. Now I can maybe get some ordered.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby JoeC » 22 Feb 2010, 15:47

I didn't confirm that the 6.5 mph Rhythm uses the same size as the 8 mph Groove, so watch out for that. I'd be surprised if they weren't the same though.

The chair had a recline and elevator mechanism, and it was a terribly impractical setup. The seat height was at a minimum of something like 26 inches, so it's impossible to roll under ANY desk or table with it. The elevator had a huge mass of poorly restrained wires hanging off the back, coming out even farther than the trailing casters. If someone drove this chair on a daily basis, those wires would certainly catch on something eventually, and it would be a very short matter of time before the wires got sheared off inside the elevate mechanism. I'm normally an advocate of what powered seating can do for one's independence, but this system was a joke.

It's impossible to say anything about the motor quality because the programming and seating issues were so sever that she hasn't spend more than a few minutes at a time trying the thing. In the past she had little trouble getting her wheelchair vendor to program the chair how she wants- responsive, stops on a dime, probably closer to how your programming than my wife's, but the vendor's tech was unable to recreate that with the Groove's electronics made by Delphi. They couldn't figure out what to change to get rid of all the lag, and since the programming interface is totally different from the P&G, it was probably harder to figure out. I don't have a Delphi programmer, and she hasn't been able to get herself one yet either. Unless someone changes my mind, I don't think I want one!

The overall build quality seemed nice, other than the wire routing for the elevator. The build quality would have to be excellent if they want it to last for any length of time- it's one of the most mechanically complex chairs that I've looked at. It looks like it has independent suspension for all four casters, but none on the drive wheels. I think the suspension's purpose is more to maintain a vertical chair position while going over bumps and stopping, preventing the chair from getting stopped with the drive wheels off the ground.

Also, to change the batteries it was required to flip the entire power seating contraption backwards off the chair like a giant Pez dispenser, and there was a really unusual wiring system inside. Not interesting, didn't seem reliable or easy. The S-646 had a much better system.
JoeC

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair