mayan ac mobility scooter motor removal

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

mayan ac mobility scooter motor removal

Postby jackinacabin » 10 Apr 2017, 22:06

Hi ,
I bought a battered spares or repairs mayan ac :D and am trying to get the motor off to test it with no joy . The company horizon that makes the mobility scooter are being unhelpful and the company that make the motor will not tell me how to get the motor off saying that horizon must help... wondering if anyone out there has removed a motor from a mayan ac .... taking the obvious motor mount bolts off just lets the motor swivel and tapping the motor to release does nothing and i dont want to get the gearbox apart and have stuff spring out all over the place.
Hope someone can help...
jackinacabin

Re: mayan ac mobility scooter motor removal

Postby Burgerman » 10 Apr 2017, 22:30

Too much thinking. You will need to undo a few bolts and see what falls off. Or find a workshop manual, which is unlikely. Its brushless, which is good.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 10 Apr 2017, 23:49

If it is swivelling, then you are most of the way there... Now you have to find what it's swivelling ON and undo that... If there are plastic covers, try removing them, many manufacturers try to hide mounting bolts by putting covers over them....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby woodygb » 11 Apr 2017, 01:18

So which parts are spinning?

The two longer studs near the top ...center line of the motor... probably go all the way from one end of the motor to the other and clamp the assembly together.
The other 3 ...difficult to tell from the pic ... would I guess bolt the motor end plate to the axle diff.

So I.M.O all 5 of these nuts should be removed .

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby jackinacabin » 12 Apr 2017, 22:44

Thanks for the replies . The motor its self is what turns freely ... it rotates as if only attached by a bearing at the gearbox end. Have tried all bolts and in frustration wacking it harder than I should and that motor is going nowhere ... its a mystery. I wonder if the bearing at the gearbox end has been glued in or some kind of splind joint is glued with loctite or similar or if the motor needs some sort of puller .... there are two treaded holes where i imagine a bearing would be , perhaps a bearing pusher/puller joins there ... close to giving up , frustration aint the word ... The longer story is that after getting the motor controller rebuilt the mayan went and was briefly an absolute beut ... climbing anything that i could gain traction on . The following day i went out and a few hundred yards from home going down a slight hill it coasted to a stop and up popped code 37. This code pertains to motor/wiring errors. The wiring seems sound after I spent a great deal of time tidying it up and properly soldering . ... So I think its likely a motor issue . If I can get this sod off and tested and repaired I can have a modern and capable off road device that new with the options this has costs over 10k , if not its worth not a lot as a spares or repaires on e bay .... I have looked for a manual , looked for hidden bolts ... any furthur thoughts . Considering taking it to an engineers is possibly an option .... Cheers
Jack
jackinacabin

Postby woodygb » 12 Apr 2017, 22:57

Your description of motor just turns is to vague.

Define "The motor" ... The end with the brake + the center magnet housing AND the Ali end plate?
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby jackinacabin » 13 Apr 2017, 00:10

I ll try again ... when i say the motor turns I mean the entire motor . Imagine the motor seperated from the gearbox and yoy have a cylinder with ends. one end has the electric brake . The other end is mated with the gearbox. In this case the entire motor is turning where it would be mated with the gear box. it spins but will not pull out or tap out ... Hope this helps
jackinacabin

Postby jackinacabin » 13 Apr 2017, 00:16

The end with the brake + the center magnet housing AND the Ali end plate?... all of that spins but will not pull or tap out . it spind smoothly as if on a bearing .. Thanks for taking the time to try and figure this out
jackinacabin

Postby Burgerman » 13 Apr 2017, 08:36

As I said, take out every bolt and shake. INCLUDING the gear case. A gear will be holding it in.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jackinacabin » 13 Apr 2017, 08:45

Ok .... but I think that means the differential and the axles will have to come off as well so I hope I can get it all back together afterwards .. Thanks for the advice
jackinacabin

Postby Burgerman » 13 Apr 2017, 09:12

You cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. :o
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jackinacabin » 21 Apr 2017, 00:00

Well no omlette yet though more headscratching... Got the gearbox apart and the drive shafts off and nothing pinged out . However now left with the motor and one side of the gearbox housing. The housing has a bearing , the motor spindle goes through the bearing with no apparent way to remove ... any thoughts anyone ... Cheers
Jack
jackinacabin

Postby Burgerman » 21 Apr 2017, 00:06

Post a pic.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 21 Apr 2017, 00:13

No circlip or similar ...then it's just a good fit and needs the scientific application of brute force.

Strike the shaft end with a copper mallet .
If you don't possess one ... interpose a lump of brass or aluminium between the shaft end and the steel hammer head.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 21 Apr 2017, 07:00

interpose
:ugeek:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 25 Apr 2017, 04:17

Also I have found that an air-hammer is often MUCH more effective than a hand-held one, even in large sizes... Harder to set up some times, but hitting it a lot of times in a short time seems to be more effective... I suspect it starts some vibration going that makes the parts just creep apart.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby jackinacabin » 30 Apr 2017, 15:52

hope the picture helps .... been a bit rubbish and unable to get any furthur with the grun
P1100180.JPG
the offending gruntfuttock
P1100180.JPG (40.29 KiB) Viewed 4907 times
tfuttock but picking up a bit so keen to get on with it ... tried interpose and wacking , tried a shrine to the god of mechanics but Oily Swivel did not come through ...
jackinacabin

Postby jackinacabin » 30 Apr 2017, 16:00

P1100181.JPG
another shot
jackinacabin

Postby Burgerman » 01 May 2017, 01:40

Is there a circlip? Cant see from the pictures.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jackinacabin » 01 May 2017, 11:24

No ,, no circlip , nothing at all . the machined part with the gear on it will not come off . I am wondering if it can be sent for testing as it is though .... Thanks for the reply
jackinacabin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 02 May 2017, 02:06

Hard to tell from the pictures as the angles are difficult, but it looks to me like there is a cone shaped piece on the shaft next to the bearing - the inner race of the bearing is typically about 1/4" wide, and about the same height as the outer race... I can only see a tiny sliver of what looks like the inner race, so I think there is either another piece on the shaft that needs to come off, or the bearing comes off in the other direction, which I don't think makes mechanical sense...

Bad thing, but it is possible that this was designed as a 'throwaway' that was pressed together with the intent that it never be dismantled....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby woodygb » 02 May 2017, 08:31

I doubt that the gear and shaft is part of the motor.
This would suggest to me that the motor is coupled to it behind the casting ( perhaps a simple tongue and groove arrangement ) and the motor must be split from the casting leaving the shaft and gear in place.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby jackinacabin » 02 May 2017, 12:19

Hi ,, yes I think its a seperate part . I think the moulded part with the cog should come off .. It sits on the bearing tight. I havent managed to shift it but I have managed to tap in a knife near the bearing and make a gap though all this does is push the the gearbox housing againg the motor end so the moulded part is as on as ever .... Going to get it along to a local rewinders and see if they are happy to test etc as it is as the amount of force I am useing in various attempts is getting daft- I am suprised how strong this has proven to be .... Thanks for the replies
jackinacabin

Postby Scooterman » 03 Feb 2019, 09:53

The specs for the scooter are here. http://www.horizonmobility.com/mayan-ac ... ooter.html

It says it has a 3ph ac induction motor. Is that good?

Also what sort of controller would it use?
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 03 Feb 2019, 10:51

Some type of brushless.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair