PINNED - ADD ON PACK Step By Step 30ah Pack build / pictures

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Step By Step 30ah Pack build with pictures

Postby rustyjames » 10 Jul 2017, 20:27

Expresso, how does your 646 feel with the add on, does it feel like it's more tippy when you accelerate hard? I haven't weighed my pack build yet but it's got to weight around 20 lbs. the reason I ask is because I removed the anti-tips from a chair that I'm building.
rustyjames

Postby rustyjames » 10 Jul 2017, 20:28

Expresso, how does your 646 feel with the add on, does it feel like it's more tippy when you accelerate hard? I haven't weighed mine pack build yet but it's got to weight around 20 lbs. the reason I ask is because I removed the anti-tips from a chair that I'm building.
rustyjames

Postby Gnomatic » 10 Jul 2017, 21:01

rustyjames wrote: I haven't weighed my pack build yet but it's got to weight around 20 lbs.

That's about right for 16 401525S Headways ......
Gnomatic

Postby expresso » 10 Jul 2017, 23:40

rustyjames wrote:Expresso, how does your 646 feel with the add on, does it feel like it's more tippy when you accelerate hard? I haven't weighed mine pack build yet but it's got to weight around 20 lbs. the reason I ask is because I removed the anti-tips from a chair that I'm building.

its hard for me to say since i have the anti tippers but i changed them to smaller wheels - felt fine to me - was able to wheelie more because of the smaller wheels on it - not really because of the ADD ON - 646 is a bit more solid i feel - dosnt tip as easy as the P222

since i added the larger tires in the rear - then it was too tipsy - wasnt able to climb certain hills - i went back to the larger ant tippers now and still have alot of room to wheelie

you can try it the way it is - shouldnt be a problem in general - have to watch the hills - be safe first - if you feel anything dosnt feel right - put the anti tippers back and use 3 inch wheels instead of the stock 4 inch - that made a difference with my chair - with 3 inch anti tippers and the ADD ON on the 646 - chair was fine - wasnt worried about going up hills etc,

cant wait to hear how it feels to you - cant think of anyone who wont love the extra Range it will provide for so little effort and work involved - without even touching the chair - just a cable to add to the chair set up - nothing to worry about - you will go out all day and come home in the green most times

once you get used to that - you will stay out longer and longer till you do hit the orange - then you want to be close to home and charge - by then you should have at least 20 miles to 25 miles when done - can be different for each chair - users - riding style and condition of the lead to begin with -

i think you be happy :D
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby rustyjames » 11 Jul 2017, 00:48

Well, you're a big city guy :D and I'm a country boy :lol: so I drive my van if I'm leaving my property; even if it's only a mile or two. But, when I'm messing around in my shop I'm constantly moving around, and to get to my mailbox I have to travel a pretty good distance on gravel. So after about 4 hours my tank starts running low.

Like you, I also think it's a good start to breaking into the lithium world, and for powering other chairs.
rustyjames

Postby expresso » 11 Jul 2017, 00:56

i bet you will be using your chair more even when leaving for a few miles - you wont realize it at all - may be faster and easier to use the chair - you will have plenty of juice to go a few miles and back home - around the shop etc, i wont be surprised if when you recharge it - you may have used just the lithium portion mostly and your lead should last easy 5 years if charged correctly and if brand new to start off

mines wasnt new - about a good year old used hard - before i added the 36ah pack and now 3 years in use still OK enough - i able to return about 35ah of lead back and my 36ah also - i got about 63ah returned after charging yesterday -

i would think with a new set of Lead - that would be 73ah returned and closer to 30 mile range -
expresso

Postby expresso » 11 Jul 2017, 00:59

i also found this site for heavy duty tubes if anyone is interested - i just ordered a pair for my front tires - will be changing them and not using the slime this time to see how it works -

i feel the slime clogged up my front tires tubes the valve - cant be sure - i want to give these a try - cant hurt -

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... hp?recfer=
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 11 Jul 2017, 02:23

rustyjames wrote:
I also think it's a good start to breaking into the lithium world, and for powering other chairs.

I think it's a great approach, rusty. I knew zilch about this stuff last summer(probably still don't!), and by fall/winter I decided to jump straight to full lithium conversion of my chair. Although I finally got it done and I LOVE the result, it was not an easy learning curve for me. I had multiple setbacks. Damaged cells. Having to tear apart and rebuild pack. Behind schedule. Lots of frustration. But I got what I wanted and don't regret it!

That said, for someone with new to this stuff, I think making an add-on first makes a TON of practical sense.
Gnomatic

Postby snaker » 16 Jul 2017, 09:41

expresso wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-18-AWG-10-STUD-3M-HEAT-SHRINK-RING-TERMINAL-ELECTRICAL-CONNECTOR-Qty-50-/391795032792?hash=item5b38cdc2d8:g:qS8AAOSw-3FZJw~x
what ever makes you feel comfortable - as long as you crimp; them well and use these 3M with glue when you headshrink it - it seals it - -

I prefer these 3M ring terminals with glue inside heatshrink tube that expresso bought. Do they have a code name so can I search them? I intend to buy them on mouser.com but it is hard to find them without a product code.
snaker

Postby expresso » 16 Jul 2017, 17:29

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-18-AWG-10-ST ... Sw-3FZJw~x

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.asp ... G+TERMINAL

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/319/PH18-6R- ... 514435.pdf

search it on the site you want to buy from - i dont have a code number - call them if your not sure of the items you want - or just google it - you should get plenty of hits for

3M Heat Shrink ring Terminals - just pick the size you want after - or buy a kit with all the 3 sizes you may need - 22 AWG - 10AWG etc, always good to have extra anyway
expresso

Postby snaker » 18 Jul 2017, 01:43

Thanks expresso, I found them. You are a search guru :mrgreen:
snaker

Postby expresso » 18 Jul 2017, 04:48

snaker wrote:Thanks expresso, I found them. You are a search guru :mrgreen:

no problem - but i am far from a search professional - i cant seem to find anything when i want to -- as long as it helps someone :)
expresso

Postby rustyjames » 24 Jul 2017, 22:14

Posted by BM in another thread:

"hyperion balance cable connection

You can use connections 1 to 8 (7 cells) on plug A.
And connection 1 to 2 for the 8th cell.

Or you can use connections 1 to 5 on both A and B as separate "12v" battery connections.

In both cases, pin 8 on the A connector, and pin 1 on the B connector will go to the same place on the battery."

So, I bought a pair of 4S balance cables for my pack/hyperion charger connection. I'm not sure about how to make these connections to my pack. Could someone please hold my hand :oops: and explain with a bit more detail? TIA
rustyjames

Postby expresso » 25 Jul 2017, 00:12

I think BM may know best here - i use a PL 8 -

i would think - One of the charge ports - you will use for 0 1 2 3 4 - and the other for the rest 5 6 7 8

but i dont know for sure how that works - the PL 8 is one connector and from 0 - 8 - left to right - i would think maybe its the same way just split in two parts - or check the manual if you got it

if you labled the battery correctly - you shouldnt have a problem where each wire goes on the battery side once you know on the charger end -

looking forward to when your done - :)
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jul 2017, 00:21

Almost.

Theres 8 pins in each connector.

So starting from the right and counting towards the left (yes backwards) pin 0 is neg, then cell 1, 2, 3, 4 is the first socket. Then the same for the other 4 cells in the next on the left. So again 0 for neg, then 1, 2, 3, 4 again. You use 5 wires in each connector. As if you had 2 separate 4s batteries.

So, the two in reds above, go to the same place on the pack if its one big one.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rustyjames » 25 Jul 2017, 02:43

Thanks Guy's. When I get a moment I'll make a drawing of the cables/connections for review.
rustyjames

Postby snaker » 27 Jul 2017, 08:23

@expresso: I see revolectrix.com only sells balance cables (pigtail?) with male JST PA connectors. But I see you jointed 2 balance cables (as in the pic below). Where did you buy balance cables with female JST PA connectors?

snaker

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jul 2017, 13:59

No. Its a 40A capable subd connector, with balance and power wires combined in one connector.

See http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... DCABLE.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 27 Jul 2017, 15:27

Hi Snaker - this is the cable - its an extension cable

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Pro ... sion-Cable

you can buy them along with the 36 inch cable and connect them - i suggest anyone not to go too crazy trying make there own cables - unless you have too - what ever you can buy already made will make everything easier - and they are good quality so no worries - and cheap so isnt worth the hassle

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Pro ... sion-Cable

dont worry about the picture showing an extra Board at the end of the cable - dont know why they dont update the pictures - none of my cables ever came with that board at the end - but if you like to make sure - call to ask first

never know -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jul 2017, 18:36

All mine did! I cut it off.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 27 Jul 2017, 20:37

Burgerman wrote:All mine did! I cut it off.

maybe thats for UK who knows - i called them to ask and they told me they havnt had those in years with the board on the end - just never updated the pic. i was told - i never got one with the board - strange -

the 12 inch extension cable has both ends male and female - no board - would be useless to me if it had the board - cutting off the end is fine if you going to solder that end to the SubD but what if you want to extend it - by adding the 12 inch to the 36 inch cable - which i will do next cable i make on the charger end to get me about 4 foot long -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jul 2017, 20:50

I order from Singapore as it cheaper. That board is useful.If you want a 36 inch extra extension.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jul 2017, 20:51

I order from Singapore as it cheaper. That board is useful.If you want a 36 inch extra extension.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 28 Jul 2017, 01:39

Thanks expresso. Revolectrix really confuses customers by not updating the pics of extension cables. I had to spend much time to search cables with female JST PA. I should ask here sooner :mrgreen:

I intend to connect a 12inch cable to the pack and leave it inside the battery box. While waiting for the D-Sub cable done, I will temporarily connect it to another 36inch cable that plugs directly to PL8. BM, can you clarify why that board is useful for a 36inch extension? Why not simply through male/female JST PA connectors as expresso did? Are JST PA connectors too small, so they are not good for a long extension?
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 28 Jul 2017, 01:50

The PL8 has a JST PA socket.
Its for balance only. Or slow charge up to 3A max.

The lead with the little board, is an identical socket to the PL8, and is an extension cable that is 36 inches long.
It has a male JST PA on one end and a female JST PA on the other. As seen in the picture.

If you buy 2 cables, and use ONE as it comes, its a balance extension cable.
Use the other by cutting off one end, connect it to your cells. Then you have your short fly lead on the battery for balance. You then plug it into cable ONE to charge.

The connector that I use is bigger and metal. And also in that picture above. Because it also has the two 40A capable power connections built in.

Did you look at the link I posted above?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 28 Jul 2017, 01:52

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... DCABLE.jpg

Click above!

The 36" extension cable plugs in between the Cellpro PowerLab 8 and Cellpro pack (or adapter) for added convenience. Great when you do not want to remove the pack from your model prior to charging. Also makes hookup easier and extends the life of the connectors in the PL8.

This is the other half. The picture of that pack showed the battery half.

This, is a meter long, and has a MALE connector one end. And a FEMALE connector the other. I have ordered many, extremely useful. Use as it is, or cut up to make different leads or a battery harness. http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Produc ... sion-Cable
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 28 Jul 2017, 02:15

Yes, I knew how the D-Sub works. It combines balance + power cables.

I am just curious why Revolectrix Singapore sells extension cables with a board at the female end? Why do not they sell extension cables without boards that expresso bought from Revolectrix USA? Obviously the cables without boards are more compact. Is there any advantage if connecting through boards? We know expresso connected 2x12inch cables and they work fine. Is it Ok if I connect 12inch and 36inch cables by the same way as expresso?
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 28 Jul 2017, 02:33

The board doesn't have components. Its just a way to support the wires and makes it more secure and reliable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 28 Jul 2017, 02:34

i cant remember exactly what i did - i know i did make a mistake when connecting my cables to the battery end - i was suppose to have female ends left and for some reason - i didnt - not sure if it was the balance wires or the power wires that happened - either way - you can make it work with or without the board

remember one end will be Cut anyway and ring ends added to connect to the battery - make sure to have the female end left - then you can use the 36 inch cable from the PL 8
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 28 Jul 2017, 02:37

remember one end will be Cut anyway and ring ends added to connect to the battery - make sure to have the female end left - then you can use the 36 inch cable from the PL 8

You want the MALE end left! :D
Thats the bit you plug into the PL8 or the extender cable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair