Quantum Blast 850 modification & rebuild

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Quantum Blast 850 modification & rebuild

Postby hotwheels_75 » 30 Apr 2017, 18:04

I am in the process of modifying my blast 850. Thought I would start a thread to post progress and updates & be able to ask questions of the knowledgeable bunch that hang out here.

My first question is on solid mounting the motors. I know Burgerman eliminated the "suspension" parts and solid mounted his motors on his builds, but I'm wondering if there's any negative consequences to doing that? Will it put extra stress on the gearbox housing?

I've attached a pic to show how my motors were originally mounted, they have a single bolt pivot mount & a little gas shock that connects to the frame. The anti tip wheels are part of the same brackets. I was planning to solid mount the motors with some new brackets. & eliminate the suspension & add anti tips similar to burgermans.
Attachments
image1.JPG
hotwheels_75

Re: Quantum Blast 850 modification & rebuild

Postby rustyjames » 30 Apr 2017, 22:07

Thanks for posting this, I always wondered how they were put together because back in the day it was touted as the mother of all powerchairs. I haveto say that I'm not impressed with that frame at all. Why are going to solid mount the motors?
rustyjames

Postby hotwheels_75 » 01 May 2017, 00:37

rustyjames wrote:Thanks for posting this, I always wondered how they were put together because back in the day it was touted as the mother of all powerchairs. I haveto say that I'm not impressed with that frame at all. Why are going to solid mount the motors?

No problem! I wish I had more photos of the complete chair and the tear down process. I'll post what I have. It was touted as the mother of all chairs & was the reason I ordered it. It turned out to be nothing special. It was a decent chair, it never let me down or left me stranded in 10 years. I did like the independent front suspension and It was fast at 8.5mph, compared to any other chair I've used. But it was a pig on batteries, if you got into too much soft ground & tried to power through it, it quickly tripped the thermal protection & cut your available power in half & you'd end up stuck. It also had the finess of a WWI tank. But I now realize that was mostly the terrible programming & setup of the chair from the supplier. The seat frame was mounted as far forward as possible, very nose heavy. Wish I knew then what I know now! Would have saved a lot of walls & door frames, & my one & only face plant on a cement walkway! Lol

Well I need to lower the motor mounts to gain some ground clearance. Solid mounting the motors would simplify everything & eliminate the factory anti tip wheels & mounts. Not sure they'd even fit once the mounts are lowered.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
hotwheels_75

Postby hotwheels_75 » 01 May 2017, 00:46

Here are a few pics of the wide atv tires & aluminum rims I had done about 5 years ago.
Attachments
DSC00310.JPG
image1.JPG
image3.JPG
hotwheels_75

Postby Burgerman » 01 May 2017, 01:52

How wide is that?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hotwheels_75 » 01 May 2017, 02:10

Burgerman wrote:How wide is that?

Faaar too wide to fit through anything but a barn door. Lol around 32 inches with the wide tires, But it was just a test fit before cutting started. I have more pics of the modifications, but having trouble shrinking those ones down to meet the posting requirements. They're on my iPad, I managed to shrink the others, not sure what's wrong.

It should be under 27 inches when done.
hotwheels_75

Postby rustyjames » 01 May 2017, 13:49

I have the same issue, shrinking photos. I also use my iPad for pictures these days, just so much easier, and the quality isn't bad.

What control system and motors does it have?
rustyjames

Postby hotwheels_75 » 01 May 2017, 17:40

rustyjames wrote:I have the same issue, shrinking photos. I also use my iPad for pictures these days, just so much easier, and the quality isn't bad.

I used the mail app for all the pics posted here so far. If you start a new email & put your own email as the recipient then insert the photos you want to shrink. Up on the CC/BCC/From line, you should see the word Images: and a size
like Images: 749 KB if you tap that line you should get an option to select the option of Small, Medium, Large, Actual Size. You just pick the one with the file size that meets your needs. Only prob is the option doesn't always show up.

The chair has a P&G Pilot Plus controller & the motors are Electrocraft E702 8.5mph.
hotwheels_75

Postby hotwheels_75 » 01 May 2017, 17:56

This is the result of narrowing the frame & extending the battery tray. The wheel width is just a hair under 27 inches. There's a bit of room to move the hubs closer to the motors & gain about 1/2 an inch.
Attachments
IMG_0420.jpg
IMG_0419.jpg
IMG_0421.jpg
hotwheels_75

Postby Gnomatic » 01 May 2017, 18:53

hotwheels_75 wrote:
rustyjames wrote:I have the same issue, shrinking photos. I also use my iPad for pictures these days, just so much easier, and the quality isn't bad.

I used the mail app for all the pics posted here so far. If you start a new email & put your own email as the recipient then insert the photos you want to shrink. Up on the CC/BCC/From line, you should see the word Images: and a size
like Images: 749 KB if you tap that line you should get an option to select the option of Small, Medium, Large, Actual Size. You just pick the one with the file size that meets your needs. Only prob is the option doesn't always show up.

When posting pics here I usually upload them to a free image hosting site like PostImage. Have it set to the resolution I want, usually 1024x768 or 800x600. After uploading, copy the direct link.

Then just put the cursor in in my comment where I want the pic to be, and click the IMG tab above the comment box, and paste the link in between the brackets that appeared in my post after hitting the IMG tab. so it looks like {IMG}www.mypic.jpg{/img} ( i used {} in place of the regular formatting brackets [] around the IMG and /IMG so the forum didn't try to display my example text as an actual pic)

Pics appear in my posts as desired and the forum software doesn't throw a fit because the file is too big.
Gnomatic

Postby Gnomatic » 01 May 2017, 19:10

Nice work, I like how you reoriented the battery area to make the chair more narrow.

Also, you should be able to stuff a good amount of Lithium in there now. :)
Gnomatic

Postby rustyjames » 01 May 2017, 23:38

So, driveline wise it's the same as a Quickie 626. I'm assuming the controller is 80 amp? Mark etal. over WCJ site used to bash the Quickie and what a piece of junk it was. I'm sitting in one as I write this :D. The Quickie frame has it all over the Blast, and it's aluminum. The weak part of the 626 was the wheel/keyway, but I never had any issue, just had to check the retaining nut for tightness periodically.
rustyjames

Postby rustyjames » 01 May 2017, 23:49

Gnomatic wrote:
hotwheels_75 wrote:

When posting pics here I usually upload them to a free image hosting site like PostImage. Have it set to the resolution I want, usually 1024x768 or 800x600. After uploading, copy the direct link.

Thanks for that info, Gnomatic, when I get some free time I'll try that.

Then just put the cursor in in my comment where I want the pic to be, and click the IMG tab above the comment box, and paste the link in between the brackets that appeared in my post after hitting the IMG tab. so it looks like {IMG}www.mypic.jpg{/img} ( i used {} in place of the regular formatting brackets [] around the IMG and /IMG so the forum didn't try to display my example text as an actual pic)

Pics appear in my posts as desired and the forum software doesn't throw a fit because the file is too big.
rustyjames

Postby sacharlie » 02 May 2017, 00:06

rustyjames wrote:Thanks for posting this, I always wondered how they were put together because back in the day it was touted as the mother of all powerchairs. I haveto say that I'm not impressed with that frame at all. Why are going to solid mount the motors?

that's what southwestmedical is for.

http://www.southwestmedical.com/replace ... -blast-850
sacharlie

Postby hotwheels_75 » 02 May 2017, 01:10

rustyjames wrote:
When posting pics here I usually upload them to a free image hosting site...

Good idea, I think I have an account with One of those sites. I'll definitely check it out.

rustyjames wrote:So, driveline wise it's the same as a Quickie 626. I'm assuming the controller is 80 amp? Mark etal. over WCJ site used to bash the Quickie and what a piece of junk it was. I'm sitting in one as I write this :D. The Quickie frame has it all over the Blast, and it's aluminum. The weak part of the 626 was the wheel/keyway, but I never had any issue, just had to check the retaining nut for tightness periodically.

I believe they are. I have another set of 702 motors, gearbox and electronics from a quickie that I purchased on eBay… Before I realized a built from scratch chair was not going to work.

The blast has a 100 amp controller.
hotwheels_75

Postby hotwheels_75 » 02 May 2017, 01:14

Gnomatic wrote:Nice work, I like how you reoriented the battery area to make the chair more narrow.

Also, you should be able to stuff a good amount of Lithium in there now. :)

Thanks! I hope it turns out ok. And if it does I'd love to go to a lithium battery! :) just need to get some things figured out
hotwheels_75

Postby hotwheels_75 » 02 May 2017, 21:17

Here's some pictures of my frame modifications and new battery box

Note in this last pic the chair only has this stance because the motors are tipped down touching the floor & the back end is propped up. In order to maintain this stance the motor mounts need to be lowered which means I'll likely have to solid mount them & eliminate the factory rear suspension & anti tip wheels. Does anyone have any input on this?
hotwheels_75

Postby Burgerman » 02 May 2017, 21:28

Cant you get longer shox or extenders like https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shock ... 88&bih=558
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 02 May 2017, 22:19

Coming along nicely!
Gnomatic

Postby hotwheels_75 » 02 May 2017, 22:21

Burgerman wrote:Cant you get longer shox or extenders like https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shock ... 88&bih=558

It's not those mounts that would be an issue. There's a bracket that attaches the whole anti tips to the motor & gear box & I don't believe there's room for them to go lower without hitting the back end of the frame. Hard to explain. This picture shows. Those atv tires are an inch shorter than the originals. So I lose an inch of ground clearance which only leaves about 2.5".

Would there be problems if I solid mounted the motors and eliminate their ability to pivot?
Attachments
IMG_5718.PNG
hotwheels_75

Postby hotwheels_75 » 09 May 2017, 22:53

Opted to keep suspension.

Any sources for replacing "motor dampers"? Can't seem to find what I need.
Original info:

Duracap Suspension Damper shock
10 mm ball ends
80mm stroke
DD1-.97MM-100
C-1000-242
hotwheels_75

Postby woodygb » 09 May 2017, 23:50

CBOL markets its gas springs and dampers under the Duracap® brand name.

http://www.cbol.com/gassprings.html
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby rustyjames » 10 May 2017, 01:02

I don't know if you have McMaster-Carr in Canada, but that's where i buy them; I haven't been able to find them cheaper, and quality is always very good. Ebay is another possible source, but searching there for these might be painful. Here they're referred to as "gas springs."
rustyjames

Postby hotwheels_75 » 10 May 2017, 02:21

Also ready to do some rewiring of the wiring harnesses to clean them up & improve them if possible. Is there a thread on doing that? I've tried searching for info but. I have photos of my existing wiring but having trouble getting them resized & upload them.

woodygb wrote:

Great thanks Woody!

rustyjames wrote:I don't know if you have McMaster-Carr in Canada, but that's where i buy them; I haven't been able to find them cheaper, and quality is always very good. Ebay is another possible source, but searching there for these might be painful. Here they're referred to as "gas springs."

Ok thanks rusty. I've been searching but you're right, painful!
Found one company in Canada, Faucher industries but haven't contacted them yet.
hotwheels_75

Postby hotwheels_75 » 10 May 2017, 21:14

woodygb wrote:

Do you know if they sell to the public? Couldn't find an order info or retailers. Emailed but haven't heard back.
hotwheels_75

Postby hotwheels_75 » 10 May 2017, 21:51

Anyway to figure out what force strength damper these Chair motors use? I know it's a dual direction damper, but no idea What the extension/compression force is.
hotwheels_75

Postby rustyjames » 10 May 2017, 22:48

Is there any manufacturer, or numbers numbers on the damper? I've gotten lucky a few times and searched what I could find stamped on them. Or, you could always contact Mark Smith and see if he can supply that info. He was the main man behind the development of the Blast. He always seems willing to help fellow rollers in need :D
rustyjames

Postby hotwheels_75 » 10 May 2017, 23:39

rustyjames wrote:Is there any manufacturer, or numbers numbers on the damper? I've gotten lucky a few times and searched what I could find stamped on them. Or, you could always contact Mark Smith and see if he can supply that info. He was the main man behind the development of the Blast. He always seems willing to help fellow rollers in need :D

I think I ust figured it out thanks to Woody's post earlier, can't believe I missed it when I looked before.
Part Number DD1-.97MM-100... "D" Dual Direction, "D" 6 x15mm rod tube diameter, 1-.97 should be stroke in inches... bud that doesn't sound right, MM is steel shaft & rod ends & 100 is 100 lbs force. Definitely a lot further ahead now. But having a difficult time finding a supplier with anything close to that that ships to Canada. McMaster Carr does only for businesses & schools. I knew Mark developed the Blast, never thought of contacting him, will definitely keep that in mind!
Attachments
IMG_5753.PNG
hotwheels_75

Postby woodygb » 11 May 2017, 00:07

DD1- .97 MM - 100

I'd suggest that the hyphen denotes a break as it does before the force in pounds.

So ...stroke = 0.97 inch?
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby rustyjames » 11 May 2017, 00:12

You don't necessarily have to use the same manufacturers damper, you might be able to make another manufacturers work. Keep working it, you'll find something!
rustyjames

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair