Tire Liners

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Tire Liners

Postby Burgerman » 21 Oct 2018, 16:58

On proper tubeless rims there a bump that the tyre will not fit over without adding 40 or 60 PSI. And it goes bang and seats. Removal requires a special tool called a bead breaker. So if thats happening then you have a tyre or a rim problem.

See here one on left, tubeless. One on right is not and isnt safe:

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MichaelB » 21 Oct 2018, 17:01

Oh and one of the reasons OEM tyres suck is that they might look similar to high quality after market but use lower tpi (threads per inch) and different compound rubber. All to get the price down for the manufacturer. On a mountain bike you really notice the inferior performance. If you see cheap tyres assume that they are OEM spec and lower quality.
MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » 21 Oct 2018, 17:05

Burgerman wrote:On proper tubeless rims there a bump that the tyre will not fit over without adding 40 or 60 PSI. And it goes bang and seats. Removal requires a special tool called a bead breaker. So if thats happening then you have a tyre or a rim problem.

See here one on left, tubeless. One on right is not and isnt safe:

Exactly the same as mountain bike, your rim must be compatible with the tubeless tyre. Same thing with fitting, you need a lot of pressure to seat the bead. Tyre lube helps. I've got a bead breaker from motorbikes, decent tyre levers and rim protectors, just need working arms and hands.
MichaelB

Postby Mind The Gap » 03 Nov 2018, 15:49

Hi All
First puncture in over two years, 4.10/3.50-4 4 Ply Kenda K500 Super Turf Tyre.
Lets hope for longer next time :thumbup:
Otto Bock B500 with 105ah lifepo4 main, 48ah lifepo4 addon. 153ah total.
Mind The Gap

Postby expresso » 03 Nov 2018, 19:42

Mind The Gap wrote:Hi All

Where your tires worn to your eyes - do you know how you got the puncture ? did you make it home saftely ?

i am watching my tires also since its been a few summers now them - so for so good but i may change out my front tires on one of my chairs - they seem a bit worn - i dont want to use them down to the bone and risk it -

curious how worn were they ? i try my best to avoid things in the streets etc, but cant help it sometimes - two of my chairs use the same size tire only a 6 inch rim instead
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 03 Nov 2018, 19:51

You got more than a few months from a set of front tyres? :clap

No idea how. Mine are toast after a few months use. No tread left, smooth like kojak. Approx 3 sets per year here.

And if I keep driving they wear completely through to the tube! Then they go pop. And I then swap them. Actually I should swap when 2/3rds worn.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 03 Nov 2018, 20:37

the kenda front tires seem to hold up well and good for a few years -- i tried a different tire on the 646 front - Durotrap i think they dont have much meat on them - plus i had the issue with the motor on one side and a bit lower PSI than normally so that worn it out on one side more than the other - its still Ok for another summer maybe - it depends how often i use that chair - i plan to try to use the new chair alot since thats covered now - the other chairs are no longer covered - i dont always use the same chair so they last longer also -

rears i think will last easy 4 or 5 years on the 646 - those were thick strong road tire - i also dont use them much at all in the winter months - which are getting longer each year - once its cold - i dont leave my PJ's - only if i have to - Doc. appt. etc, the bounder will wear out faster for sure - aggressive stopping and lower PSI will do it . but its covered so even if i have to change them each year - it be fine - we see if it can hold up for 2 summers there.
expresso

Postby Mind The Gap » 05 Nov 2018, 10:30

expresso wrote:
Mind The Gap wrote:Hi All

Where your tires worn to your eyes - do you know how you got the puncture ? did you make it home saftely ?

Hi express. Got home ok, just lean to one side helps a bit. A hole in a tube but couldn't find anything in the tyre. Tyre in good condition still. Never saw when it happened.
5 miles from home so jumped on bus for part of the journey dropped me right outside my local pub, had 5 pints then got fish and chips on the way home so nice day out beside the puncture.
Mind The Gap

Postby expresso » 05 Nov 2018, 18:16

Ok - glad you got home Ok at least - thats the most important - do you use some Slime or Sealant inside the tube - i know its not as good as Tubeless etc, - i feel anything can help if even a little is better than nothing - from what i learned so far is - i am more concerned about the rear tires - adding the sealant in there even with tubes - i feel better about it - the front tires - i may not add any on my next set - they seem harder to inflate with Air etc, so i may not add any on my next set - just peace of mind - even if it dosnt do a great job - can be ok for minor little things - might have gotten in between the tire trends and caused a small pin hole - or tube could have just been bad or gotten old - either way - its a bit scary if your far from home - which i usually always am when i ride -
expresso

Postby Mind The Gap » 06 Nov 2018, 16:27

expresso wrote:Ok - glad you got home Ok at least - thats the most important - do you use some Slime or Sealant inside the tube - -

Hi expresso no slime, did buy some when I first stated using BM's site but never got round to using it.
Mind The Gap

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair